No iPad mania :(. Report your apple store experience

Radio

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Central California
I guess people are content with older ipads and apple did a great job with presales and inventories.

Everyone seems able to stroll in.

Oh well.

Your experience?

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I guess people are content with older ipads and apple did a great job with presales and inventories.

Oh well.

Your experience?
I just now got a white 16gb wi-fi model at Target. Employee told me that I missed the line that was ready at store opening (about half an hour prior). They still had about seven total left, mine was the last 16gb.

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Not long as expected. Most probably preordered to avoid all of this, plus its available at a lot of locations. I arrived around 7:30, I was out by 8:30.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Yeah, I much rather see huge lines, depleted supplies, long waits, scalpers making millions, mass panic and hysteria, you know, the usual... :rolleyes:
I guess its funny to see people equate long lines and out of stock inventory as signs of a successful launch.

In my opinion, having millions of units sold while there's plenty left for those who want them so they can get it with no stress and without paying huge markups to scalpers is TRULY a successful launch.

TopToffee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
There were BIG queues at the Apple Store near me this morning (estimated 400-450) but seems like they had a lot of stock, and a LOT of staff, because they had cleared the line by 9.40am, and people could just walk in

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Oh well.

Your experience?
There were preorders. People are at home waiting for deliveries. What did you expect?

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I'm also intrigued that people seem to want the hysteria. Maybe it makes those of us that pre ordered feel superior in some way that we avoided the craziness. Believe me, if Apple hadn't done the pre order it would be a mad house.

I was buying a new one regardless, but I much prefer a smooth experience with a high likelihood of being able to get what I want. I hope the crazy days are gone to be honest.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Best Buy on 23rd in NYC had no line. They had barricades up last night but this morning there was no one on line. Plenty of stock available, all models.

bigdogn12

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2011
I was the first one in line at my local apple store. Was there at 6pm yesterday evening, totally unnecessary. :(

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
Maybe after the fracas that broke out at one of their China stores, Apple decided that selling the product directly to the customers (pre-order) made more sense than the feel good PR that comes from long lines in front of their stores..

Papillo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
You seem disappointed? Why?
I was just about to ask this. Dont use this board as a barometer of the rest of the world. people on here care a whole lot more than the average joe about these products. Like i said in a previous post, i had a feeling it would be well stocked and with a good number of people sticking with the 2, available for a while.

Papillo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
Was looking to flip one of my iPads.

Oh well it's just going back then
hang onto it for a few more days and see if apple runs out. you may still be able to flip it. but for not as much as you could in the past.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I hate that im reading people Equating "No iPad Mania" doesn't mean "No iPad sales". Apple did the right thing for the consumer by allowing presales so it'll really suck if the media latches onto this idea that Apple is somehow failing because they don't have artificial lines clogging the malls. People are interested, it's just that most were smart enough to buy online and not allow a launch to dictate their life.

That said, I'm in line at best buy because I needed 3 and Apple only allowed two preorders. :D

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Remember last year, when everyone was enraged at how long it was going to take them to get their new iPad 2?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I'm over the moon Apple have sorted out their stock levels for the demand. I was able to be at the launch today but its great to know I have a good chance of getting one monday.

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
The other thing you've got to remember is that the process of selling an iPad is a lot quicker than an iPhone, so the stores are able to go through the lines way faster. 75% of iPad sales are as simple as swiping a credit card.