No more iPod education discount

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
pip11 said:
All of the new iPods (shuffle, nano, video) have no price difference for educatioon customers. The rebate is still active (and tweaked slightly for the new revs--go look at the PDF) though, so with a new Mac, you can get a 30GB ipod for $249-$179=$70!?! That is dirt cheap!

I just checked it out on the Canadian EDU page and the regular price is $299 and when I went to education and whatnot, the price dropped down to $249 for the 60gb. ?????

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
There is still a discount for the new Shuffle on the UK Higher Education store, but strangely no discount whatsoever on the 'Video' iPods.

How strange... :confused:

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
NATO said:
There is still a discount for the new Shuffle and nano on the UK Higher Education store, but strangely no discount whatsoever on the 'Video' iPods.

Stranger is that the NUS site now no longer seems to have an Apple link to get to the HE store - am I missing something?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The Apple Store is still down. My education store works but I don't know if the prices are "true" or not since the retail store is still down.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Eidorian said:
The Apple Store is still down. My education store works but I don't know if the prices are "true" or not since the retail store is still down.
I haven't had any problems accessing the regular store since the event ended. :confused:

No differences in pricing between regular and EDU stores in the US. Apple's EDU terms no longer include the iPod in their purchase limits section.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
WildCowboy said:
I haven't had any problems accessing the regular store since the event ended. :confused:

No differences in pricing between regular and EDU stores in the US. Apple's EDU terms no longer include the iPod in their purchase limits section.
The Apple Store finally came up for me.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
UK
NATO said:
There is still a discount for the new Shuffle and nano on the UK Higher Education store, but strangely no discount whatsoever on the 'Video' iPods.

Only the shuffle is discounted on the HE store I'm looking at. The 2GB nano is actually 1p dearer!

Hmm, I hope they've just not updated the prices properly yet. Having said that they've dropped them quite a bit for the full size iPods - the 80GB looks good value to me. Shame it's not had an updated aluminium case too. The chrome/plastic look is getting old, not to mention its scratch magnetism. I'm really happy Apple saw sense and ditched it on the nano.

pip11

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
:mad: :mad:

from the rebate FAQ:
The second-generation iPod nano (aluminum) and the 30GB and 80GB iPod with brighter display, both announced on Sept. 12, 2006, are not eligible for this offer. Only the original iPod nano and iPod with video models are eligible. See below for part numbers.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/bts/bts_faq.html

I'll take the old one (for $90, according to the online store)--assuming that I can get one in a retail store

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I spoke to Apple on the phone this morning and they told me there is no Edu discounts on iPod's anymore in the online store....

I then called the Apple Store regent's street and was informed iPod's are all elligible for a 8% edu discount. So what is going on..........????

ShadoW

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
shadowmoses said:
I then called the Apple Store regent's street and was informed iPod's are all elligible for a 8% edu discount. So what is going on..........????

Simple... no one told them yet!

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
perhaps because the iPods are now the cheapest they have ever been, Apple decided to do away with the education discount. sad, i know, but a 4GB nano for $200 - that's a great price considering its previous price point!

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
When you stop to think about, is an ipod really educational anyway?

You don't use them in classes for school work. They are really only entertainment devices. I don't know of many entertainemnt devices that have student discounts (besides over-priced movies at thetres).

Could you imagine using a student discount for an X-Box or Playstation3?

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Planner Dude said:
Those are explicit gaming machines. iPods do have some semblance of educational value. I'm using mine to learn Japanese.

Dicx

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
EDU Pricing

Yes there is no more educational pricing on iPods. My Apple rep has told me that they are the lowest price ever for the best sizes.

Also in the terms of agreement that you must agree to, the iPod is no longer on that list. It used to be 1 iPod per family per academic school year. That was because of educational customers getting a lower price, ie 299-269 for a 30GB. Now that the stipulation is gone, educational customers can buy as many as they want to. Hence no more lower pricing.

Kinda sucks from a business stand point. But it is a lower price. I speculate if it was lowered sometime, it would be 229 for a 30GB, 329 for an 80GB, and 179, 199, 229 for the nanos.

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
hob said:
Those are explicit gaming machines. iPods do have some semblance of educational value. I'm using mine to learn Japanese.
But couldn't you then say the same thing about CD, DVD, or tape players???:confused:

Furthermore...don't X-Box and Palystation have educational games......

CellarDoor

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2005
MI
Planner Dude said:
When you stop to think about, is an ipod really educational anyway?

You don't use them in classes for school work. They are really only entertainment devices. I don't know of many entertainemnt devices that have student discounts (besides over-priced movies at thetres).

I'm finishing up my bachelor's of fine art here and I dont use any other tool more. Owning an iPod allows me to continue working at the studio for many hours longer than I would normally be able to deal with. it's indispensable. I'm putting myself through school by doing graphic design for LUX magazine, and it's also very handy for handling large graphic files.

MukelG

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Watch them have the discount after September 16th when the computer+ipod promotion ends. Theyre prolly just trying to get rid of old stock this way

MukelG

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Dr.Gargoyle said:
What old stock? All the iPods in the store are from the new line. :confused:
I thought you could still buy the old ones. At our college apple store they still have some old ones I think..

Dicx

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
MukelG said:
I thought you could still buy the old ones. At our college apple store they still have some old ones I think..
We still have them in but are trying to return them.

YoNeX

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
I got the old 4GB Nano for 199 and got a Macbook for 1399 :D yesterday @ the Apple Store and I still qualify for the rebate apparently.