Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
But couldn't you then say the same thing about CD, DVD, or tape players???:confused:

Furthermore...don't X-Box and Palystation have educational games......

i work in a high school and we use tape players and cd players for language classes. also we have podcast online for class work that our kids can either download to their computer or ipod. so yes tape cd and mp3 players are all used in education.:)

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
personally i think it has to do with people abusing the education discount priviledge. So, apple could simply be fading it out from online. Where they could just keep them in the store which would require you to have a valid student ID or valid verification that you are a faculty of the school.
Still a discount in the UK if you order through your institution.

What is the wholesale price?
7% is the profit margin. Poor shops. The Zune is 33%.

Annndy!

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Halethorpe, MD
I've got all the iPods I need...now, when they take off the education discount for the Macbook Pro I'm saving up for, that's when you'll see me truly pissed. :p

sergeantmudd

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2002
amazon is better

the lack of sales tax alone beats a student discount for something around the ipod price. plus, for my ipod last week, amazon had a 12 dollar discount. vs the apple store on michigan ave with 9% tax, i save like 35 bucks.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
In comparasion to 2 years ago, the iPod is dirt cheap. Even without the student discount it's a good deal. A couple years back I paid close to $400 for a 3rd gen iPod and the price included a student discount. for $249, the current price is pretty low. furthermore, the prices will go lower, And/or the iPod will get better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.