No MP until September?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Deepshade, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Deepshade macrumors regular

Just seen this on HardMac

re Intel Hexacore

....it seems that this release was only virtual, as none of those CPUS are physically available. According to the website PC Inpact, their real availability might be postponed till next September, as some rumors reported it earlier...

This would be disappointing beyond belief and a true indication that Apple have lost the plot with regard the Pro market.

CS5 is now Intel only, Apple have announced the G5 obsolete (no Apple repair possible as of June) - that's the end of the line for a lot of equipment in design studios, and still no updates for Apples so called Pro Apps.

Seems its a case of purchase a PM thats out of date and overpriced against the competition or build a hackintosh. It appears by the time any new PM surfaces, Sandy Bridge will be the new boy in town and we will all have out of date kit in a matter of weeks!.

2. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

The current Mac Pros are more than capable of running CS5. But I'm with you here - it would be very disappointing to have to wait until September. I had my hopes up with the rumor of imminent release in March. A September release is in 4 1/2 to 5 months away :(

If there's no release by WWDC it will be interesting to see what Apple has to say at the conference as one would think that there'd be developers there who are eagerly awaiting Mac Pro updates.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

That is a mess of information and poor reporting. The PC Inpact article suggests there were rumours that the Core i7 970 was coming in the near future but won't be here until Q3. Seems to me the author of the Hardmac article thinks the 970 is already released and that this indicates there is some problem with supply.

4. beaker7 macrumors 6502a

Or another way to think of it..."Supply is tight and end-consumers are having a hard time getting ahold of them because Apple is accumulating chips for a May launch" ;)

5. Deepshade thread starter macrumors regular

Yes - agree totally

BUT...thousands of studios have PPC G5s. And CS5 is Intel only.

With the current MP now (in technology terms terms - reaching late middle age) that raises a huge dilemma for G5 users who intend to collaborate with other artists and fellow workers using (the soon to be released) Intel only CS5.

On one hand....Who in their right mind is going to purchase MacPros now and screw their budget for the top of the line 'Pro' workstation with current Apple 'Pro' technology over a year old (and according to a design magazine hardly worthy of the term Pro Workstation).

On the other....If you hold off with the G5s - there's no way to embrace new technology/software from Adobe. And if your current G5 dies a few days into June you wont be able to get it repaired at an Apple Center - oh ******.

Yes in some respects this is always a problem - but the confluence of G5 termination and Adobes release will certainly cause a few studio update headaches.

Along with heat issues processing audio (now fixed) and lack of FCP update news it really feels like Apple as running behind the pack as far as the Pro user is concerned.

I'm certainly stuck between a rock and a hard place until a new MP is launched - no wonder the hackintosh option is a growing phenomena!

For the first time in years I am really feeling vulnerable being a Mac 'Pro" user.

Let's hope so ;)

6. beaker7 macrumors 6502a

If a given studio is still running G5's, I have a hard time believing they are also going to jump to CS5 immediately.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well that article talks about the i7-970's. Apple is going to use these most likely. It seems consumers can purchase the i7-980X's now though, so I imagine the big manufacturers can get a hold of them too. As for the i7-970's....well newegg doesn't have em so maybe they're in tight supply for some reason?

8. Deepshade thread starter macrumors regular

Why?

G5s have happily run the Creative suite up to CS4. Up to CS5 none of the CS code has been optimized to truly take advantage of the latest Macs. Granted After Effects may well be a little less like watching paint dry on the new Macs - but on the whole, most of the other publishing apps haven't really warranted the investment of new machines.

Terminate support/repair for the G5 and release software you can't run - now that seems like jumpin' time to me ;)

9. DualShock macrumors 6502

If this is true, as well as the AMD rumors, might we see Opterons in the next Mac Pro?

Dual 12 core CPU's would be nice. :D

10. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

If it is September, I'm seriously considering jumping ship re: a new MP. That would be way late. :mad:

11. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I can get a xeon 6 core NOW at newegg and provatage. Not sure where they got there info from unless apple wants a special one.

12. macusersince5 macrumors member

macusersince5

man this is freaking bull crap. I want a new mac pro now. I have all my money saved up... oh well if I have to wait until september, maybe i'll get lightpeak or a better kick A machine. :D

13. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

And money saved up is quickly finding other needs. :(

14. malcolm233391 macrumors member

Tight supply my ass, I was able to purchase the 980x chip a few days ago on tigerdirect without any delay in shipping or backorder.

15. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There is a difference between an individual being able to source one and companies purchasing the amount they need. But this article is incorrect anyway, no evidence a Mac Pro will be delayed here.

16. beaker7 macrumors 6502a

Mac Pro's use Xeons.

17. malcolm233391 macrumors member

Yes I know they use Xeons. There are plenty of X5600 series readily available online. The Custom workstations and the individual CPUs are in stock at many online retailers. I'm also putting my money on a June refresh for the Mac Pros and Apple Cinema Display.

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's harder for individual consumers to obtain them if supplies are tight, as Intel has to fill their contract orders first (there's usually financial penalties included in the contracts if they don't meet delivery dates & quantities).

As per the articles, they seem entirely inaccurate to me as well.

19. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Surely only people in a desperate 'no reasonable alternative' situation are buying the current ones and that's a cr*ppy way to have to conduct your business.

The real tragedy is that Apple are going to send a lot of CS5 users to windows over this.

We all know June is 'new iPhone' time and that never harms sales so just pre-annouce the thing so we all know what the situation is - better still ship an interim updated model - do it again in October if you have to!

20. Transporteur macrumors 68030

How so?
    Is the current 8-core model not powerful enough for CS5?

Is CS5 really that optimised that it can use more than 4 cores, which apparently is the absolute maximum for CS4 apps besides Premiere?

21. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Really depends what machine your jumping from - anybody on an 08/09 Mac Pro hardly has a problem - any other machine in Apple's line up constitutes a compromise and a potential purchase upgrade.

22. vvrinne macrumors member

23. rajbonham macrumors 6502

No, the current Mac Pros are beyond overpriced right now. Normally they are overpriced. With the current models, it's like Apple is stealing from us. It's not a matter of power, but price.

:rolleyes:

24. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

You can also buy them inside of HP's workstations, the z600/z800 series. A tight supply maybe, but they are available.

25. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Nail biter

Man, the small company I work for is about to take the plunge in to the mac world for editing and we'll be getting about 5 mac pro's, and I'm trying to hold out as long as possible for the new ones...whenever they come out, but a deadline is a deadline and here's to hoping by the end of may. Otherwise I'll just have to be content with the purchase.