Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
There's really no hardware features that have come out that the Apple TV would benefit from. It's already fast enough for what it does, can play 1080p video just fine, and is compact and uses hardly any power.

The last upgrade was to add 1080p support, so it was necessary. 4K TVs are still in their infancy and likely won't be mainstream for a few more years, so for the moment the current Apple TV suffices.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
My guess is that Apple will continue to slowly roll-out apps from each content provider. First it was ESPN and HBO/Cinemax, then Disney. Soon, The CW. Each provider gets used as pressure for the next provider to get on board. For now, you need to have these channels on your cable package, but this is laying the groundwork to rope in more and more content providers - and someday the providers start offering subscriptions a la carte ("free with your cable package or $X.99/month").

My hope is that Apple opens up an App Store and the floodgates burst. I think that a $199 ATV with 32GB of storage and an A7X would be amazing - especially if Apple releases a controller case that turns an iPhone/iPod touch into a BT (or WiFi) connected controller that puts the WiiU controller to shame. Rather than one dedicated $500 game system in one room, every TV in the house would have an ATV and you could just take your controller room to room. If you want to play multiplayer on separate TV's in the house, done.

"Larry change the channel"
"Wait-I'm texting someone"
Roku has done the motion control RF remote pretty well in a $99 device.I'm sure Apple could do much better without making you use your phone.

AlexJaye

Suspended
Jul 13, 2010
Really understand that Apple doesnt need to upgrade the Apple TV. There really is no competition that can compare to how easy and good it works. All it need is just some software upgrade, and I'm happy!

Yeah, let's settle for something decent because there's nothing better out there yet.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Why is the Watch and an actual Apple TV two devices people all the sudden must have?

Currently you can have multiple accounts on an Apple TV and right now my account is programmed on my friend's Apple TV and when I go to his house to catch up on certain shows he switches to my account and all my shows appear on his Apple TV to be streamed.

Apple TV update adds support for multiple iTunes accounts, shared Photo Streams
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/24/3...multiple-itunes-accounts-shared-photo-streams

I guess you have complete trust in your friendship? Because while he can watch movies you bought or rented on your account, he can also buy or rent movies on your account if he was so inclined. ;)

sabrex

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
As far as software updates go for the Apple TV (version 3), the thing I'd like so see most is support for accessing DLNA content (music, photos, videos) ... Air Video takes care of my video needs, but it would be nice to access the other content without the need to fiddle around with iTunes...

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Can I ask a question?

I have an old 250GB Apple TV and one of my main uses is the photo screensaver. Not slide shows, just the screensaver.

I've been thinking about the new Apple TV, but I heard it doesn't display all of the photos you have on the screensaver. Something like the same 50 over and over again. Is this true? Or does it work just as well as the original ATV?

I was going to wait for a new model that you could hopefully sync around 60GB of photos with... No new ATV next week has me thinking about the current model again...

You would need an HDD or an SSD to store that many photos. This would make the ATV larger and much more expensive. So to answer your question... The likelihood of any future ATV's having either of these components is almost absolute Zero. ;)

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I hope that tweak includes an updated UI but my guess is we're stuck with the screen of glossy icons for a while. Sigh.

I was lucky enough to have blobs for the old Apple TV iOS saved so I was able to revert back to the iOS 4 series. I feel bad for the ones stuck on 5.x +. Any change on the current look would be an improvement.

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
"Larry change the channel"
"Wait-I'm texting someone"
Roku has done the motion control RF remote pretty well in a $99 device.I'm sure Apple could do much better without making you use your phone.

I think you missed the point. The ATV will almost certainly come with a remote. What I'm talking about is a game controller. The WiiU comes with a game controller that costs ~$150 used on eBay. Now imagine that, instead of a low-res screen with a mediocre touchscreen, you have your iPhone 5S, situated between dual analog sticks, buttons, trigger buttons, a real D-pad, etc. - and working as a personal screen a la WiiU. Your iPhone has WiFi and Bluetooth already; so does the ATV. If you are concerned about incoming texts, you could always buy a dedicated iPod touch to snap into the controller.

An ATV with full App Store, A7X chip, and excellent controllers (that either use a device you already have or motivate you to buy another iOS device) would be amazing. No reason Apple couldn't do it for $199 + $49 (or less) per controller case. This would crush the WiiU and likely make a big dent in future Xbone/PS4 sales.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Seriously why don't Apple get an SDK on this. they'll will sell gazillions and make Trazillions and we'll all will be happy.

All I want is a full plex on top of all the normal stuff.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
The problem is that the iOS app/channel model is a really antiquated way of looking at video (or even audio) content that TiVO tore down over a decade ago now. A modern UI would put the content first and let the source be a secondary consideration but I doubt that is in the cards for ATV any time soon.

My guess is that Apple's new App model for Apple TV will require all 'channels' an query API so a user can just search for what they want, where ever it is. If you need to pay for it, it's a simple click through to your AppleID charge card).

Sort of like the new Finder in Mavericks. you type in your favorites (and/or it remembers them) and AppleTV will present you with 'your' TV selection list... (Movies you've rented, own, What you're watching on NetFlix, when the next episode of Dexter will be on on ShoTime, and all the VoD Dexter's out there.

But I agree, TiVO is the standard that Apple needs to achieve and we need to demand. The current model is the classic economic model that the content distributors want.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
yet you still need to have a cable subscription to access many of the new channels added..

What's the point of watching cable through your apple tv if you already watch cable through your tv set??

Anyone else feel like this question has been asked and answered everyday?

The answer: on the Apple TV you get all the on demand that channel offers. In the case of hbo every season of every series is at you fingertips.

On your pay tv provider's box, that is not so.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Says more of your lack of investigation in the space than anything.

Not saying it's a bad device, just based on it's far lower level of notoriety by comparison to the ATV, it's potential as a threat to the ATV is somewhat minor.

IMO.

----------

Hahaha. How's your power Mac doing?

She's doing very well as far as 2005 machines go. Got her in use as a media and file server of sorts and for vintage gaming from time to time.

I'm liking the user name.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
I have an AppleTV on each of my four tvs. We love it. I am pumped for a software update!!!

Well, I mean, I'm not that really pumped about it, but it would be nice.

Q: You mean you have two kids and a tv for each of you all?

A: No It's just me and my wife and I usually get home too late to watch anything but NFL on the TiVo

kramerdude

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2006
Honestly, I don't miss the 160GB at all and it made the device way too expensive.

I would prefer it was bring your own drive. We use our first gen unit for home movies and pictures. If I am out of town for business with my MacBook Pro, then the current generation model would be completely useless in that regard.

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
I hope that tweak includes an updated UI but my guess is we're stuck with the screen of glossy icons for a while. Sigh.

If the software update to AppleTV is timed to coincide with iOS7's release we may see a unified design language between the platforms. Here's hoping Johnny Ive can make it happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.