No PC has gone before

adelaney

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2001
I think it is quite obvious at this point that the new product from Apple will be a parallel universe where Betamax survived and everyone has a Mac...and you too can live there for a mere $1299 ($1249 with the Education discount) ...also James Lipton and Thomas Kinkade are on the Most Wanted list...

...sigh.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Outerspace

Maybe they're launching some G4s and TiBooks and the left over cubes to Mars or the Moon.

"Outer Space, Powered by Mac OS X Server."

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Originally posted by adelaney
I think it is quite obvious at this point that the new product from Apple will be a parallel universe where Betamax survived and everyone has a Mac...and you too can live there for a mere $1299 ($1249 with the Education discount) ...also James Lipton and Thomas Kinkade are on the Most Wanted list...

...sigh.
Oh were it true

B

Beej

Re: os x for pcs?!

Originally posted by anon
no PC has ran OS X. .maybe it *is* OS X for PCs..

who knows..

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggg!! This is too much!!! :)
Yeah that's a good point... no PC has run OS X before. (Not outside Apple, anyway, if you believe all that stuff).

It even kind of fits the other teasers:
1) This one is big. Even by our standards.

Going from being able to run OS X on 5% of machines to 95% is pretty big.

2) Count the days. Counter the minutes. Count on being blown away.

Well this one is just a teaser, no real hints here.

3) Beyond the rumors sites. Way beyond.

I don't know about this one - this has been speculated about a fair bit. I guess most people are knocking it on the head pretty quickly, though.

4) It's like a backstage pass to the future.

We're running OS X on our macs now, and OS X is the OS of the future. So this one may just be describing what us mac users already have and what PC users will soon get - OS X.

McFreggle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Dendermonde/Leuven, Belgium
Re: Portable? Tablet? PDA?

Originally posted by ormerlin
Since the tag line says "Where no PC has gone before" is it possible Apple is speaking of something portable? Meaning is will travel places easier than any other product has?
That could be a hint for the "iWalk", although I don't believe it. We won't see an iWalk monday.

It will be a rocket. An Apple rocket. And every Mac owner can fly to the moon and back. And Apple will launch Airport sattellites, so everyone can stay connected on the moon. That's it.
Sorry Steve, I spoild your suprise.

(BTW the product will be called iStep. It's a small iStep for Steve, but a great step for the SteveKind)

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Assuming they're not just making an unimaginative pop culture reference and that there is some actual meaning here, there are a couple of options.

One possibility I had considered already is that if the new iMac is basically shaped like a Studio Display, with wireless keyboard and mouse, it would be really cool if you could just hang the thing on the wall like a picture frame. That would certainly be someplace that PCs in general have not gone before.

Thinking along the "digital lifestyle" line, one place PCs have not been before is, "in your entertainment center." It could be that they will be introducing an A/V component far more powerful and versatile than anything we've anticipated.

And finally, I would be remiss not to mention an earlier comment of mine, that with the expectations they're setting up, people won't be satisfied unless they announce cold fusion or warp drive or something. Clearly this latest slogan is evidence in favor of the "warp drive" alternative. ;)

Squirrel

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2001
Re: os x for pcs?!

Originally posted by anon
no PC has ran OS X. .maybe it *is* OS X for PCs..

who knows..

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggg!! This is too much!!! :)
I would appear to be the logical choice, given that (Windows's PC's) have never run OSX. But what would this do for the sales of Apple Hardware? Mac's are great because it's hardware and software are controlled by one company. I don't think Apple want's to get into the business of support for so many different hardware issues.

However, on the consumer side: It would be absolutely great to have that OS choice. There are so many Microsoft haters and people tired of winblows that I think people would literally flock to get an Apple OS in thier PC. I know I would.

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
where intel has gone before

well. . . we know that intel has a 2.2 ghz chip out now.. could we see a g5 with a top end at 2.4ghz like we've been hearing about???

yes.. i think this is unlikely.. but hey screw it.. we've got three days.. we'll all be blown away right???

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
To go where no PC has gone before.

3Ghz man. No PC's been there. Nor has a PC run on solar power. Obviously, they are throwing down the gauntlet with this one. Star Trek was about a ship that went places no man had been before, but years later man was there; thus this product must be something that the PC has yet to do, but eventually will do.

Also, this is clearly a comparison to a PC, so it's not some dopey ass camera (thank god!)
No PC has fully migrated to a truly handheld capacity.

Wait, no PC has ever utilized artificial intelligence in a manner that creates an interactive human/machine environment. Remember, think simple, and how much more simple could working with a PC be? We just might see the iHAL come Monday!!

Then again, I don't think anyone's ever gone to bed with a PC before either...

macdop

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
has any one noticed how much that iWalk thing looks like the pads they use on Star Trek?

-Just a thought

A

anon

also, don't forget

that Rhapsody DR2 actually ran on PCs.. And it ran very well...

That was, what, 4 years ago? I'd hope that in 4 years they'd be able to get it to run 'better'..

but who knows.. Maybe they'll team up with Sony or IBM and introduce some killer MacPCs..

A

anon

or what about

some kind of portable Mac with FREE wireless service?? like a PDA but different and with badass internet capabilities and free wireless..

who knows!!

louisdeboer

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2001
Amsterdam
OS X for PC's? No way!!!

Apple is making most of her money via selling hardware, it wouldn't make sense to port OS X to PC's... who would buy an Apple if you could do the same trick with a cheap wintel machine?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
re os x on intel

Besides...

you don't want to piss off the developers

"Hey... port your apps again!"

arn

I

i_should_register

We will NOT see OS X for x86. The reason that our macs work as well as they do is because Apple designs the OS and the hardware. Have you ever seen the hardware conflicts that plague Linux and Windoze users? Why have Macs always been plug-and-play while PCs are plug-and-pray?

As someone with experience in building PCs for resale, I can tell you that PC hardware is crap. The company I was working for at that time had to go through five different motherboards before finding one that worked with the other hardware over 80% of the time. When the XPs came out, we had to do it all over again!

The PC component market is too fragmented for anyone to be able to design a really stable OS for x86. In any case, most of the "standards" that PC components pretend to adhere to are just ugly kludges created by reverse-engineering proprietary IBM interfaces fom 8086 days.

Can you imagine calling Apple and saying "My DVD drive stopped working" and having them respond "Which northbridge do you have? We've experienced problems with people using such-and-such part number from so-and-so." It's a tech support nightmare. Apple restricted their product line for a reason. They wouldn't want to go back to the days of a dozen different Performas, much less enter the nightmare that is the PC hardware world.

adelaney

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2001
Possibilities...

iSteve: Personal (lifesize) Digital Assistant, guaranteed to make your life insanely great and can block out all sorts of negative realities. (Drug problems, debt, James Lipton etc.)

iOU: Personal checks made of a filmy, electronic paper that, wirelessly, transfers money into a person's account as soon as the check is handed them.

iBelieve: Knock off Electric Monk.

lera

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2001
Big
count... (down)
Beond us
future
no pc has gone before

Apple has built a (big) satilite (futuristic) that they are going to (count down) Blast into space (where no pc has done before). An Idea not yet thought of by the romor sites)

Who needs AirPort for internet when you have spacePort?

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
It's just the iMac

I really think you guys are taking this way to serious, and will be disapointed when you see it's just a new iMac. I hope I am wrong, but I think "HYPE" is the new thing in every industry. Remember the Hype of the PS2 just because you couldn't buy one created hype. People HAD to have it.

On the other hand, it could be a Tablet Computer ie the new iBook.

S

simX

Not nececelery

"To go where no PC has gone before." does not necessarily imply that it is a computer. It could interface with a digital hub device to provide new capabilities to the computer, while retaining stand-alone functions in the device. This would still be where no PC has gone before. Like a cool portable media viewer/player (take all your pictures, movies, music, divx files, and other things) that could take everything you've dreamed of with you and view it with it's built-in screen.

Basically my reasoning comes down to this: Apple did not say, "A PC where no other PC has gone before." Apple said "To go where no PC has gone before." Catch my drift?

-- simX

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
OS Trek

Computing
The final frontier
These are the voyages of the Apple Macintosh
It's continuing mission: to explore strange, new technology
to seek out new lifestyles, and new innovations
to boldly go where no PC has gone before.

:D:D:D:D

Gerry

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2002
I've seen the future...

Putting the hints all together: it's a letter-sized tablet with full OS X with handwriting recognition etc., BUT, put it on its stand (previously known as a 'dock'), and you can use the wireless keyboard and mouse and hey presto: instant flat-screen iMac. So it's basically a desktop Mac, but you get to carry the screen/Mac off with you. That's why it will go where no PC has gone before, and why we'll all be blown away. Essentially, an OS X tablet/iMac with bits and pieces borrowed from the Newton. The clever part will be the balance between how much Apple squeeze into the tablet, and how much they leave in the dock. And here's why this would be so cool: My PDA's fun, but it's essentially a toy. But a full-sized tablet that can be slipped in my briefcase, and which gives me FULL functionality and even Office v.X and UNIX and everything else on my desktop machine would be FANTASTIC. Ok, I love reading all the speculation, but I think this is the one to hope for.

BirdBrain

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2002
Reality distortion interface

It's wearable iGoggles, the 3d reality distortion glasses, the extra interface on the iWalk is to connect to it, wow this stuff is sooooo obvious.

I have no clue what so ever, but like Mr Goldblum once said "Gee, your so gonna want one !", whatever it is !