No Verizon iPhone until 2012 Confirmed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Irrational, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Irrational macrumors member

I just read this on article on Cnet. It seems to confirm that the iPhone exclusivity contract with AT&T won't end until 2012.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20010212-37.html?tag=newsLatestHeadlinesArea.0

Apple has never publicly stated how long its exclusivity contract with AT&T is, though a five year time period--first reported by USA Today back in 2007--was recently confirmed through court documents related to this case.

Hopefully this will end the endless Verizon iPhone rumors. :rolleyes:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah, dont we all wish.
    There will still be many Verizon threads, people dont give up hope I guess :D

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Great to have seen this confirmed! Now for the lawsuit... just lawyers being pricks like always. Someone needs to kick their asses please.

4. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

this came out months ago.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/10/atandt-iphone-exclusivity-originally-scheduled-through-2012/

arn

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Wish the iPhone would go to other networks already. I'm sticking with AT&T since I have great service but I'd love to see all these android fans who claim to hate the iPhone jump ship and buy one once it hits verizon.

7. Darwing macrumors 6502

okay for the love of god, there will NEVER EVER be a CDMA iphone... NEVER, its a dead technology and apple never follows numbers they follow trends, future trends.. the CDMA cannot do voice + data at the same time, which is 90% of the appeal of the iphone...

CDMA is not GSM of overseas and thus as a business prospect is completely null and void..

THERE WILL NEVER BE A VERIZON IPHONE UNLESS THEY UPGRADE TECHNOLOGY!!!!

EVER GIVE IT UP!!!

8. reaborg macrumors member

Well, CDMA perhaps not...but since Verizon's rolling out LTE to many cities by end of this year, who knows....while ATT, who knows when...

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I dont know....Android seems to have a huge head of steam and i think will go right past iPhone with the things they are doing....and doing it quicker.

Im thinking of switching myself.

10. walangij macrumors 6502

Which guarantees the success of the Android platform. It is here to stay and will continue to become a more worthy competitor, in both hardware and software over the years.

If the iPhone was on Verizon, would anyone (normal non-tech people) purchase or even care for the Droid? Would the open-handset alliance have success if a consumer could choose between the iPhone which they know, or some red eyed "droid" phone? I think not.

But then again, I don't think Apple really cares about the competition as much as we do. They will just do whatever they think is best, the best they can. They're not the catch-up kinda company. But the other companies are doing a decent job of catching up to Apple.

11. MACis122 macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind it goin to VZW would clear up a lot of congestion on AT&T's network

12. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

90% of the appeal is voice + data? So where's the appeal for iPhone 1? Or any current user who can't get a 3G signal? I don't know about you, but I've had all 4 iPhones and have never once done any data transaction while on a call.

CDMA is about as dead as GSM is. CDMA networks will stay in place for ~20 years.

How is CDMA not a viable business prospect when every other major manufacturer continues to manufacture product for it? Especially considered that there are more Americans using CDMA than there are GSM users. Globally, through 4Q09, there were 522 million CDMA subscribers. (source)

Now granted there are roughly 6x that many GSM users, but it doesn't understate the fact that they could increase sales quite a bit. Humor me here: if Apple, as of April 2010, before iPhone 4 launch, had sold 50 million iPhone devices ... divide that by 6 and you still have an approx. potential market of 8.3 million devices. You don't think that's a good market?

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Even when verizon launches LTE, any phone released on verizon would still have to be backwards compatable with CDMA, just like how the iPhone now falls back to edge when there is no 3G, they would have to have a CDMA radio to fall back on when there is no LTE service.

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

So you all know, the new Samsung Galaxy S is going to be on all 4 carriers. Sprint and Verizon will have a front faced camera for video calling. Dont know about AT&T and T-Mobile will not get that. Coming out on AT&T on the 18th. 15th on T-Mobile. This phone does many the same things iPhone does.

So there you have it. Same phone compatible for all 4 carriers which includes the CDMA networks. It can be done. Blackberry has been doing it for years.

15. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

Exactly. Theres also the example of the Droid/Milestone or most Blackberry models.

I'm not anti-gsm or pro-cdma or anything, just not a fan of misinformed, illogical argument.

16. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

when exclusivity ends apple will start selling unlocked iphones at their original prices....i hope

17. macduke Suspended

macduke

Yeah, might steer clear of an iPhone upgrade for a change next summer. Will avoid paying ETF when I switch to Verizon's 4G service. Though part of me still thinks that something is in the works. Why would AT&T suddenly raise their ETF and give out early upgrades? Seems fishy. Trying to retain all the two-year people who would be waiting to upgrade and decide to jump ship. Delaying the inevitable, mass exodus from their network. Things won't get significantly better until there is competition! Everyone wins with multiple carriers.

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

No one is saying it's impossible or that it can't be done, just going from what apple has traditionally why it doesn't seem like something they will do.

One, design is one of the most important aspect for apple when they sell a product. If you add a CDMA and EVDO radio to the iPhone, it will not be quite as thin as it is now. They would have to make a completely different handset.

Two, they like to streamline their products as much as possible, that's why you only get limited option when configuring a Mac and why they when with a pentaband 3G chip, to streamline their production line.

Three, CDMA may be around for a while, but EVDO will be replaced with LTE shortly, and while it will still be around, it will probably get killed of sooner than CDMA. CDMA is what as being used as the voice while EVDO is strictly data. EVDO has also reached it's peak, which is slower than what carriers have released as GSM 3G. EVDO is the true dying technology and we all know how apple feels about supporting dying technologies.

Four, when verizon finally launches LTE, it won't just be a miraculous switch and suddenly the entire verizon network is LTE. It will take time. Remember how apple waited an extra year until 3G was more widespread before they released the iPhone 3G? And again, even after verizon launches LTE, they will still be using CDMA as their voice protocol, and they would still have to include an EVDO radio because CDMA data is even slower than edge.

Five, Steve jobs will hold a grudge, and if the reports of verizon rejecting the 1st iPhone are true along with the jabs verizon has taken with their driod marketing, it's possible he wouldn't allow it out of spite.

Now, I'm not saying it wouldn't be feasable or unprofitable for apple to release an iPhone on verizon, I'm just saying the it doesn't seem likely given apples history and tendencies.

19. Darwing macrumors 6502

this is 100% NOT TRUE... In canada all phone companies have the Iphone, but only 1 has backwards compatibility with a 2G network (rogers) Bell and Telus only have in place a 3G network with a CDMA backbone... 3G is covered all accross the country with no backup...

20. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yes, but if you look at the maps, you will see their CDMA coverage is still greater than their GSM coverage, plus they also had to get some roaming agreements with rogers. Verizon prides itself on coverage and its network, their is no way they would allow a phone that has a chance to show "no service" where they traditionally have good service. It will be a while before the entire netowork is LTE. And they are still planning on using LTE for data only, meaning if you want to make phone calls it would still be with CDMA.

21. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Which is why mines on order, I was sick of waiting, rumors and such, time for my iphone to finally be in my hands. :D

22. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

+1. :D

23. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

There might have not been a public announcement regarding the exclusivity between AT&T & apple in '07, but it was public knowledge. I knew about then, other people I knew were aware of it. I have a feeling that this class action lawsuit regarding this will out the truth.
    When the contract ends, it will definitely cause some users to switch carriers, and level the playing field when it comes to network congestion. Less users on AT&T will help a lot. You can bet you'll see the iPhone unlocked when the 5 year contract expires, but I don't know if they will build a special phone for verizon. Apple tends not to change what they do to fit someone elses business model. But if they want those verizon customers, they will have to.

24. Hollow Man macrumors regular

Hollow Man

Yes, this is old news. I suspect a Verizon iPhone is a bit off, but we really don't have any way of knowing.

I was a customer of Verizon's since Bell Atlantic in the 90s, and I finally made the switch. I was actually pretty happy with them, but we moved last year, and the Verizon service in our new house was terrible. Gave them a year and there were no improvements. I knew AT&T service in our place was good, so we made the switch.

Overall I'm happy, but I almost didn't do make the switch once AT&T announced yanking the unlimited data plan. That's a big negative I'm still unhappy about.

-HM

25. bks691 macrumors regular

There will still be hundreds of "verizon iPhone" threads because the "verizon fanboy freaks" can't get it through their thick skulls. It's almost like they're all delusional:eek: