Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Super DISAPPOINTED and here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFdeCiJ_xTk

I love the design of the case and the quality of materials but it slips out a good inch or two when the case is held upside down. The top of the iPad is already exposed a little because of the design but having it slide out via gravity is a deal breaker. Maybe mine is defective? A case is no good to me if I risk losing my iPad if I bend down to pick something up or accidentally hold it upside down. It's a case, not a pouch.

Well, just don't do that and it won't fall out. :D

FCDP

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada

I love the design of the case and the quality of materials but it slips out a good inch or two when the case is held upside down. The top of the iPad is already exposed a little because of the design but having it slide out via gravity is a deal breaker. Maybe mine is defective? A case is no good to me if I risk losing my iPad if I bend down to pick something up or accidentally hold it upside down. It's a case, not a pouch.

Consider that the iPad has to slide in, I don't see how that can be avoided. I don't appear to have the same problem. It doesn't slide out for me upside down.

jeremy3721

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
Well, just don't do that and it won't fall out. :D

Yeah, I can promise you I'm not coordinated and patient enough to ensure I'm holding my case at a certain angle everytime I pick it up ;) For the price I don't feel I should have to worry about it sliding out. I'm hoping this is just a 1-off defect and not a design flaw.

Ral67

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
that doesnt look good

can someone else confirm?

I was about to order one ....

jeremy3721

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
Consider that the iPad has to slide in, I don't see how that can be avoided. I don't appear to have the same problem. It doesn't slide out for me upside down.

You don't see how it can be avoided? Just look at yours if it's not doing it :D

G.O.B

macrumors member
May 15, 2010
I can confirm that mine does not slide out of the case when held upside down. I think this might be because I didn't slide it in first time round, I 'clicked' it in from above. In any case, it's holding mine perfectly.

Ral67

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
thanks

anyone got a case in passion Vintage?

its difficult to judge from the pics how the color really looks and how it changes over time.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
I can confirm that mine does not slide out of the case when held upside down. I think this might be because I didn't slide it in first time round, I 'clicked' it in from above. In any case, it's holding mine perfectly.

Interesting, it seems like sliding it in from the top would be less likely to stretch the sides of the case so that the iPad is held in more securely.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008

Just use the Yoobao fix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_gbWBn4Z3A&feature=youtube_gdata

FCDP

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada

That would be the cause then. Holding the case upside down and shaking it a bit, the iPad gives a little and slides out maybe an inch, but still remains in the case.

The wifi model will act as a compass in the maps app. Just tap the location icon twice.

Oh, I did not know that. Ran a quick test, and it did give the compass interference message, but after doing the recalibration movement it seemed to kick. It does appear as though the case magnets are causing some problems though.

FCDP

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Do you think the pockets have enough space for a passport n a boarding card?

Sorry, I missed your first post asking this. I'd say yes, you can easily fit a passport, boarding pass, credit/bank cards, and business cards. It has two large flaps, and 4 card slots.

Colophon

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
White Case on the way

:D Just checked my UPS shipment details and 9th is the estimated delivery date for my noreve case in white. It's been a bit of a pain this week, thought it might be here sooner as the iPad arrived last Thursday and I've been walking around with it in Jiffy bag.

I've always loved Noreve cases for apple products, always the first thing I order, and always in white (a personal thing, they look so cool in white to me). The quality has always been outstanding and I hope this is not any different.

One thing I would say is with the rail system they use for there best cases you can gentally bend the sides in a bit (or out if it's to tight a fit). I did this with the one for my iPod touch, it was way to tight for me as I like to take them in and out of the case to use.

Well, hope my case comes so I can carry this thing around a bore the hell out of more people with my iPad demos, :eek:

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
Mine doesn't fall out when held upside down.

I love Norêve's rail system. I really don't like cases that come around the front of the device, I think they look very tacky.

jeremy3721

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
One thing I would say is with the rail system they use for there best cases you can gentally bend the sides in a bit (or out if it's to tight a fit). I did this with the one for my iPod touch, it was way to tight for me as I like to take them in and out of the case to use.

Yeah, customer support recommended I try bending the sides a little to make it more secure. I did try that but what material are the rails made of? I was worried I'd snap them off.

Like I mentioned earlier, the dash anti slip pad works perfectly so I probably won't mess with it anymore.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Yeah, customer support recommended I try bending the sides a little to make it more secure. I did try that but what material are the rails made of? I was worried I'd snap them off.

Like I mentioned earlier, the dash anti slip pad works perfectly so I probably won't mess with it anymore.

I read somewhere it's aluminum.

iPad77

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
Sorry, I missed your first post asking this. I'd say yes, you can easily fit a passport, boarding pass, credit/bank cards, and business cards. It has two large flaps, and 4 card slots.

Thankyou for the detailed info! Just ordered mine;)

macwheels

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Yeah, that appears to be the only way to get it standing upright. The issue I see here, is that it's less about the magnetic latch being closed, and more about the clip resting on the flaps edge, just barley holding it up. I'd imagine this would wear out quickly...
It does hold up, but I could see it falling back if too much pressure was used on the screen. Again, I'm not sure if it's a design flaw, or if we're doing something wrong, but there doesn't appear to be any other way to get it standing upright.

I have been unhappily delaying to just go ahead & order the Noreve Tradition Leather folio case, because I really want the "rails" style of holding the iPad in (instead of covering up the bezel with more leather). Thanks to forum member FDCP for the great review & very detailed pictures -- much appreciated -- now I am hesitant to order the Noreve since you mentioned it is not very stable when standing up for watching videos. (And I do want to be able to touch the screen without having to be very careful not to knock over the Pad while it's standing up -!)

I've done a lot of searching online -- so far, the only other folio-style cases I've seen that have something like Noreve's rails are the SGP Vintage (which doesn't function as a typing stand) and the XgearLive Folio, which I kinda like except for the ugly pattern on the exterior. I want to give this as a gift for a dear friend in the UK, & would much rather send something leather than the carbon fiber Xgear folio.

http://www.xgearlive.com/products/fo...on-fiber/folio

I've also seen some really great stuff on the website of this company called "Ozaki" -- in particular a case called the "iCoat," in addition to *many* other wonderful designs. Very sad that I don't see any way to buy any of their items in the US:

http://www.ozaki.us/en/2010/icoatnotebook/

Macwheels

Colophon

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Difficult to get a better case for the price

I've been using these noreve cases for my apple gear for over five years and they are some of the best designed cases i've ever seen, or held. You can tell they are hand made and they feel like some real care has gone into their construction. The metal rail system makes the back of the case like a bullet proof vest, It must be steel construction by the feel of it. There are always things that are not perfect with cases once they start to try and do other things other than protect the device, I found this with case designs before Noreve.

Definitely think about getting one of these cases over others on the market, the materials used are difficult to find elsewhere under £100. Personally the fact that you can choose your own leather and create a unique case design of your own that maybe a couple of hundred people in the world have got, priceless.

Saying all this I hope when my :apple:iPad case finally arrives noreve have done the same quality job as they have with my other cases. If anybody would like me to do a detailed photo shoot of my white version of the classic I'll see if I can grab a bit of time later in the week. ;)

macwheels

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I've been using these noreve cases for my apple gear for over five years and they are some of the best designed cases i've ever seen, or held. You can tell they are hand made and they feel like some real care has gone into their construction. The metal rail system makes the back of the case like a bullet proof vest, It must be steel construction by the feel of it. There are always things that are not perfect with cases once they start to try and do other things other than protect the device, I found this with case designs before Noreve.

Definitely think about getting one of these cases over others on the market, the materials used are difficult to find elsewhere under £100. Personally the fact that you can choose your own leather and create a unique case design of your own that maybe a couple of hundred people in the world have got, priceless.

Saying all this I hope when my :apple:iPad case finally arrives noreve have done the same quality job as they have with my other cases. If anybody would like me to do a detailed photo shoot of my white version of the classic I'll see if I can grab a bit of time later in the week. ;)

Thanks, Colophon, for your comments & past experience :)

Is it the "Tradition" model that you've ordered for your iPad? The one that opens like a book (rather than a vertical flip)? If so, I'd be grateful to see more photos & especially your opinion of the stability of the case in all its various positions.

Also ---- has anyone mentioned this already? --
how much weight and bulk does this case add to the iPad? I appreciate the back being "bulletproof," but only if it doesn't make the whole package objectionably thick and heavy...

My friend in the UK is on holiday for the next couple of weeks, so I had it in mind that I would send over a nice iPad case for her to receive when she returns. Of course it's a bit silly to order it to be delivered all the way to the US for me to see it first, but if I really like it I'd want to order one for myself, too! ;)

Macwheels

Colophon

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
I'll get some nice shots done when here

No problem I'll get some nice shots done when the case arrives, all being well Wednesday. I'll put it through it's passes with the other functions that it offers as well.

It's the classic (book opening) version, with the rail system in white leather. :), I love these cases in white leather not sure what it is about the white but they usually look classy. This time around I will use the case more to carry the device from place to place rather than on all the time so the rail needs to be a little less tight than they have arrived in the past. These rail systems are usually formed by curving the edge of a pressed sheet of thin steel which is then covered in leather. I have a shipping weight with UPS of 0.20 kilo, not sure what this is in pounds weight, but it's a solid weight I recon. Must be honest the ipad is a device I want to keep protected so steel inners are good for me:cool:.

At the end of the day this is Noreve, a legend in europe for the best hand made cases money can buy, I very rarely spend money on things I have never seen unless I trust the company, Ipad I pre order, Noreve case I pre ordered, I think that says a lot from me. ;)

macwheels

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
No problem I'll get some nice shots done when the case arrives, all being well Wednesday. I'll put it through it's passes with the other functions that it offers as well.

It's the classic (book opening) version, with the rail system in white leather. :), I love these cases in white leather not sure what it is about the white but they usually look classy. This time around I will use the case more to carry the device from place to place rather than on all the time so the rail needs to be a little less tight than they have arrived in the past. These rail systems are usually formed by curving the edge of a pressed sheet of thin steel which is then covered in leather. I have a shipping weight with UPS of 0.20 kilo, not sure what this is in pounds weight, but it's a solid weight I recon. Must be honest the ipad is a device I want to keep protected so steel inners are good for me:cool:.

At the end of the day this is Noreve, a legend in europe for the best hand made cases money can buy, I very rarely spend money on things I have never seen unless I trust the company, Ipad I pre order, Noreve case I pre ordered, I think that says a lot from me. ;)

Great -- I can't wait to see your review! :)

I just went back to Noreve's website to look again at the custom leather options -- had been considering the Vintage texture, in either "Sandy" or Black -- but am thinking now that the stock "Perpetual" texture, in black, will probably look better with the iPad's shiny glass & dark bezel.
The dark "Chestnut" color leather appeals to me too, but I guess I will end up ordering black (unless I get another case for myself, I might want to try another color.. :rolleyes: )

Speaking of the color & finish:

Hi,
I bought the Noreve Tradition case for iphone 3G(s) a year ago in "sandy vintage". It's by far the most beautiful case I ever saw thanks to the quality of the leather (and also the fact that the phone snaps into it and doesn't require to be enclosed) but just a warning: at first the leather has a nice light-sandy mat finish (a bit like suede) but after a couple of months the leather becomes brownish and with a shiny finish (and I don't have especialy sweaty hands...).
You can see on the picture the area around the logo still has the original tone.

I read this comment above, on May 31 -- and since I have heard many positive raves about how quickly Noreve customer service responds to e-mail inquiries, I decided to ask Noreve directly about this issue. Of course, I would not want to spend a lot of money on a special-order leather if the texture is not going to last more than a few months.

I realize that Noreve is a French company, so I was careful to write my e-mail in clear English... however, unfortunately, I think it didn't help -- I got an extremely vague, two-sentence reply that left me thinking the Noreve agent either didn't completely understand the answer I needed to have, or actually doesn't know & declined to get further info. Here's what I wrote, & the reply:

"I'm interested in ordering your iPad Tradition leather case in the "Sandy Vintage" finish. It looks very beautiful! :)

"In a discussion forum online, I read a comment by an owner of one of your iPhone cases, who mentioned that the Vintage finish of his case seemed to wear off after a few months, leaving the surface darker & shinier than the original suede texture. This person has posted photos of his case, so you can see what he has described, at this web-page:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/919117/

"Is this to be expected with your *iPad* Sandy Vintage case, also? I hope that the lovely finish of the Vintage leather will have a longer life!

"Thanks very much for addressing this issue!"

...and here's the reply I got:

"Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your message. This is the specificity of our Vintage leather. So it will be the same as this case.

I wish you a very good day,

My best regards,

Cynthia
Customer Care Department / Service Client

ummmmm........:confused:

Well ----
this is why I am looking forward to reviews from experienced customers!
Thanks again, Colophon!

Macwheels

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
...and here's the reply I got:

"Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your message. This is the specificity of our Vintage leather. So it will be the same as this case.

I wish you a very good day,

My best regards,

Cynthia
Customer Care Department / Service Client

ummmmm........:confused:

Sounds to me like they confirmed the vintage leather for the iPad case will be show the same wear which is to be expected. I personally like it and think it adds character. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.