Not that impressed with the iPhone 4, am I the only one ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zizo79, Jun 23, 2010.

1. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

Hey guys,
    After being really excited about the iPhone 4, I just got mine today and the new design is cool but as soon as I turned it on it felt like I was on my 3GS.
    I don't know why but I was wondering I wasn't the only one...:confused:

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

3. danielsmu macrumors regular

Same here. I'm coming from a 3G and to say the difference is night and day is a vast understatement.

4. swy05 macrumors 6502

I feel the same way.

I'm coming from a iphone 3G and as soon as I unwrapped my iphone 4 and played with it for 5-10 minutes. After that I said to myself "Ok, I guess that's it then..."

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'll withhold full judgment until I see one in person, but I don't see what the hype is about. You have sharper text on a very small screen, that makes a huge difference how? On the ipad I would say the retina display would have been more of a wow. The 512mb, meh until something comes out that really uses it. I use the crap out of my 3gs and it's never run out of memory or functioned sluggishly, this is jailbroken. I'm currently running ios4 and it runs just as snappy as the previous build did. Hopefully an app that needs 512mb will wow me (and no imovie is not it, meh).

Other than that what does it have? The new 90's candy bar styling? The looks thicker but is really thinner than a 3gs? Don't get me wrong guys I totally love Apple stuff, I spend a ton of money on their products, but I'm just trying to see what it worth re-upping my 2 years with ATT and paying a couple hundred bucks over my 3gs.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Just what did you expect the iPhone 4 to do that disappoints you?

7. zizo79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

zizo79

I own a 3GS and I still do not a see a difference between the two except for the new design.

8. supervelous macrumors 6502

What exactly were your expectations? You knew everything about the device. I can possibly understand someone with a 3GS being a little underwhelmed, but a 3G? Way waaay faster, takes videos, front camera w/ facetime, gyroscope, compass, voice control, beautiful display, beautiful design, multitasking, custom backgrounds, finally great battery life, etc, I'm sure I missed something too! I realize these aren't all new features but they're all new to 3G owners.

If you are very underwhelmed then you likely bought into the hype too much!!

9. dojoman macrumors 65816

Try saying that to thousands of people who preordered. say what? I can't hear you....blah blah.blah blah

10. UltimaLaw macrumors member

WOW - go back to the Droid or Windows phone, you don't deserve to be an iPhone owner - seriously the screen is disgustingly good looking (go watch a HD video on YouTube) - text looks so great, the camera is much better, a flash, front facing camera, speed is there (especially when coming from a 3GS with OS4 installed) - I'm going to stop now, I'm sure Apple will let you return it if you actually hate it that much....

I think people are confused and expect the "experience" to be different, it's still an iPhone with the same OS you had yesterday, come on......

11. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Well, I'm coming from a 2G, so when I finally get mine, I am sure i will be impressed. Hopefully!! :)

12. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Love the new phone. Now those damn developers just gotta add retina display!

13. advan macrumors newbie

I upgraded from the 3G and I am completely blown away. The phone feels so good in my hands -- I just can't put this thing down!

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

I'm not surprised by these comments.

I still want one anyway! I need a new phone and this iPhone 4 seems to be the most refined of all the generations.

You can't expect a totally new experience like you had with the iPhone 2G in 2007. Like a 3GS in a different package. More of the same OS, but with a faster hardware. That's it. I'm content with that.

Go to Android and you will realize while they have fast hardware, their OS looks like it still came out of the year 2008 and battery life is murder the faster their CPU goes.

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Take a picture with it, use the flash, use the front camera, play a game on it, surf the net with it, listen to music on it, just look at the screen, pick it up and the 3GS at the same time...

All these I noticed were huge improvements and that's been within an hour.

16. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

17. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

I can see your points and I share the same view about the phone, especially the 'retina display'. I mean, yeah it's very good quality, but it's still a 3.5" screen. How often do you actually watch full length, HD movies on your phone? If this technology was on an iPad or a iMac I'm sure it would be a different story, just imagine that pixel density on a 27" screen! And I also only see it as a 3GS with a few extra features, nothing revolutionary as Apple would say. Sure, I would like one, but it's just not a big enough step up from my 3GS.

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

If this iPhone 4 can't impress you, then nothing in the market will this year. You will find more of the same out there with other brands. You may like another OS just for a different and new experience, but probably will eventually go back to the iPhone 4.

The fact they improved the hardware is a definite plus for Apple. Kudos to Google and the Android Alliance for help pushing hardware development while their OS is still unpolished. Competition brings the best out of everyone.

If iPhone 4 = iPhone 3GS on steroids?

I can still live with that! The OS is still very advanced after being already three-years old out there. This is the iPhone evolutionized and perfected.

19. kev7554 macrumors newbie

I agree with the op its the iPhone 3gs with a much better screen and Apple's attempt at multitasking. Is it an improvement over the previous version Yes. Is it leaps and bounds better? In my opinion no. I just wish my evo had that stunning screen.

20. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

All of you complaining are the perfect candidates for an Android phone. They will wow you with new "features" almost every month.

Features such as:

- The ability to close down programs that are draining your battery.

- A new camera with more megapixels that still sucks.

- New ugly icons that look 25% "flashier" than last year.

- and hundreds more....

You should definitely return your phone, rather than complain to those of us who still don't have theirs, and are going to be really excited about it.

21. Godzirra! macrumors regular

Godzirra!

i dont get how everyone says that the android os looks outdated? the iphones hasnt changed since they introduced the ipod touch... I think android looks and feels alot fresher, you have plenty of widget options, i dont like htc's sense ui. i think that looks lame too. But customization of stock android is nuts. Motos new blur looks awesome. ios is just really stale, a bunch of screens of little app icons. How is that polished?

22. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Thank Steve Jobs for selling you pixie dust.

The iP4 is great...but it's really not much more than a 3GS that feels different in your hands.

23. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

24. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

You got owned by Apple marketing! LMAO!

25. zizo79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

zizo79

No one was talking about switching to Android....