Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kapangas

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Zwingenberg, Deutschland
Why is everyone subscribing to this terrible use of space with the UI at the top? They're always not considering space for Carrier, Location, alarm, Bluetooth icons etc.

Especially for a 5.8 inch sized handset, the icons are way over sized for the real width that would really occupy, as are the other mic/camera features.

I wonder the same. How would they accommodate this status bar?

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 185

dewski

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
Wouldn't it be nice to get an upgraded SE that followed the 8 rumors. Obviously it would not come this year, but if next year they updated the SE with an all screen front it would be amazing. The SE sales show there is still strong demand for a smaller phone.
Yes please. That would be my phone for years to come, which would be bad for apple.

Reactions: mattopotamus

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
What a good idea... let's get a beautiful phone and stick it in FUGLY case!

Last edited:

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
No way Apple is manufacturing the 8 with that massive indentation at the top of the screen. How would a developer plan an app or game around that hideous debacle? That bump-out would just casually cover some pixels or in-game buttons? I think not.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I can't say this is in the least bit exciting.
Where's something different rather than just copying existing designs/ideas.

Clearly still all to be confirmed, but for the first time ever - I'm planning on giving this a miss.

Please stop. I guarantee you that when they get on stage, get into detail about the features and design and show the promo video you will want it.

All of you people saying "where's something different" are just reading rumors and looking at low quality images.

You're tune is going to change VERY quickly.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I really hope Apple makes the top look like a black bar instead of just having that "notch." It just seems lazy. Could be a deal breaker for me. I can't help but think they're compromising the look so they can tout having the biggest screen to body ratio.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I'm sorry, what are you looking for? Tony Stark's phone?

Something, anything innovative. this is just yarn..

Please stop. I guarantee you that when they get on stage, get into detail about the features and design and show the promo video you will want it.

All of you people saying "where's something different" are just reading rumors and looking at low quality images.

You're tune is going to change VERY quickly.

Yep, rumours are all we have to go on. But so far nothing good/exciting/interesting.. new..

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yes please. That would be my phone for years to come, which would be bad for apple.

that is where I am at with the current SE. The only thing that makes me considering upgrading is I want the best camera I can possibly have. It is a tank too. I have dropped the phone a zillion times and it still has not cracked the screen.

Reactions: dewski

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
The cutout on the top will be blended with the display like the image below, not like on the render. The case looks fugly.

God one can only hope. The image in the render just looks distracting otherwise. And that transformers looking case is the stupidest looking thing I've ever seen.

Reactions: Sunny1990

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
No way Apple is manufacturing the 8 with that massive indentation at the top of the screen. How would a developer plan an app or game around that hideous debacle? That bump-out would just casually cover some pixels or in-game buttons? I think not.

Apps won't have access to the top or bottom areas. The iPhone 8 will have a 5.15" active screen area that starts just below the top cutout and ends about 1/2" from the bottom. The bottom "touch bar" will be reserved for software buttons. From a user perspective we'll have the same 16:9 aspect ratio for apps.

Reactions: 5105973

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
That bump is needed for physical sensors. The gaps to the left and right will be filled in with time, battery, reception, wifi etc. giving the impression of a straight bottom edge.

Reactions: 5105973

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
That is one hideous, awkward looking case. Smart to leak a picture of it. Based on other feedback here the company can save hundreds of thousands of dollars by not making it. Ha. Ha.

seyss

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012
iPhone Pro feature list:
Price: $900, 128GB only

AM/FM radio

UFS card support

New design with ceramic / liquidmetal

Bluetooth 5

Wider angle cameras

e-SIM / no SIM tray

Breakthrough battery life (L-shaped battery, new chemistry)

Wireless charging, turbo charging, 10W+ power adapter

Low reflectivity display

True Tone display

ProMotion display

Smaller bezels, higher screen-to-body ratio

MicroLED / OLED display

Telephoto camera on smaller iPhone

f/1.7, OIS, and 4k@60fps on all 3 cameras

3D front camera, facial recognition

Gorilla Glass 5

USB OTG adapter for Lightning in the box

On-screen fingerprint sensor / homebutton

Double tap on screen to wake

Smaller or no camera bump

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Does anyone think the new iPhone screen looks like a Screen Protector?!
It only looks like that because the idiots making these mockups keep forgetting to fill the corner spaces with black bars

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Let's see if I get this right. People claim that a small bezel is somehow great design and pilloried Apple for not doing it. Then they turn around and put a thick case around the phone to, essentially, re-create a bezel around the phone. Yeah, makes sense...

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Apps won't have access to the top or bottom areas. The iPhone 8 will have a 5.15" active screen area that starts just below the top cutout and ends about 1/2" from the bottom. The bottom "touch bar" will be reserved for software buttons. From a user perspective we'll have the same 16:9 aspect ratio for apps.
Yes, but my point was geared towards that specific mockup.
[doublepost=1502201743][/doublepost]
That bump is needed for physical sensors. The gaps to the left and right will be filled in with time, battery, reception, wifi etc. giving the impression of a straight bottom edge.
Yes, but that is NOT what this mockup is implying. My comment was only intended for that since it seems to be the popular mockup everyone keeps referencing.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Now the front with the cutout is as ugly as the back but you can't cover it with a case. Can't Apple afford decent designers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.