Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Notes and Observations about Apple's iPod and Apple TV Announcements

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple hosted their media event today and announced a number of new products and updates. For a summary of those announcements, see our previous coverage:

- Apple Announces All New iPod Models: Shuffle, Nano, and Touch
- Apple Introduces Updated Apple TV
- Apple Releases iTunes 10 With 'Ping' Social Networking
- Apple Announces Pending Released of 4.1 and 4.2 Preview

Here are some notes and observations about today's announcements.

- The iPod Classic is still for sale but with no changes.
- According to the tech specs, the new iPod Touch's back camera takes stills at a disappointingly low 960x720 resolution.
- The new Apple TV is running an A4 processor. Previously it used a low end Intel chip. This means the Apple TV is certainly running an iOS variant that made to look like the previous interface.
- Apple's iTunes 10 Open/Minimize/Close buttons are vertically oriented (see screenshot above)
- The impressive game demo by Epic Games is now available on the App Store as a free download.
- The new iPod nano has no camera and apparently can't play video any longer.

Article Link: Notes and Observations about Apple's iPod and Apple TV Announcements

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
About the camera: the rear camera supposedly takes 720p video, which is 1280x720. Is the photo camera being crippled, or is the rear HD video camera not really HD, and only 960x720?

Comment

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
About the camera: the rear camera supposedly takes 720p video, which is 1280x720. Is the photo camera being crippled, or is the rear HD video camera not really HD, and only 960x720?

Yeah.. I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Disappointing resolution on the iPod touch rear camera.

Come on Apple. Not everyone wants anorexic electronics. Make the iPod touch thicker and give it the same camera sensor and LED flash as the iPhone 4.

And its time to kick the stainless steel backing to the curb too.

Comment

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
Everything seems pretty cool. Nice update to the iPod touch. Thats going to be one mean device. But the nano...that is a real big disappointment...Thats going to be good for nothing. Its going to be hard/awkward to hold. The 5th gen was pretty nice, adding the video camera boosted its points as well...Oh well I wasn't in the market for that anyway. The AppleTV is nice, and at $99 a no brainer. Cant wait for my package to drop at my door. Great Keynote :cool:

Comment

wallaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
iTunes 10 download still not showing up on the apple.com website. Guess it's taking them some time to get the download servers set up. I clicked "download" and ended up getting a .dmg for 9.2.1

Comment

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

Nope, the camera is 1280x720, for stills it just crops to the centre to give a 4:3 aspect ratio image.

Comment

Dekimasu

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Illinois
I don't understand what it would have hurt to keep the old nano alongside this little thing. No video playback=different market. Not going to upsell me to a touch, sorry.

Comment

gauspad216

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
A4

Good point on apple tv running an A4. Probably a variant iOS operating system version. Wonder how much onboard space there is for future apps. Obv. w/ an operating system, there is flash memory in there.

Comment

FFArchitect

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
Apple, correct this: Apple TV. Also, put apps in a TV. Also, rename iTunes - it's past music now. Also, I don't need another social network -- Facebook is all I can tolerate and even it's *barely* useful. That is all.

Comment

thorbenh

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
Steve said: "...and HDR will be available for all iOS devices, iPhone & iPad ..."
Something similar to that at least.

iPad and HDR? So we get a camera with the software update? neat.

Comment

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Vertical buttons?

Somewhat confused on the vertical orientation of the buttons in iTunes... ? I guess it's to save space at the top?

Comment

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
1) I was hoping for iOS4 with apps on the appleTV; it would be cool to pause a movie or tv show and check out a sports score, stock price, the weather or the other cool things some apps do.

2) how do we manage the media we've bought on our gen one appleTVs--i guess copy (sync?) that media back to our computers? It's gonna put a squeeze on hard disk space.

3) The Touch's camera spec--if it's true it's 1280x720, and cropped to 4:3 for stills--is embarrassing. A sub-one megapixel camera? I checked one website on resolution, it said a two MP camera could produce average quality 8x10 or best quality 3x5 prints. So what do you think the limits will be on a one MP?

Comment

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Apple, correct this: Apple TV. Also, put apps in a TV. Also, rename iTunes - it's past music now. Also, I don't need another social network -- Facebook is all I can tolerate and even it's *barely* useful. That is all.

Than Dont use it duh:rolleyes:

Comment

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
iPodTouch is thinner than iPhone 4. There is no high resolution camera that can fit in it.

One more thing Apple announced today. iOS 4.1 will make the iPhone photo better.

Comment

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
So it's crippled. Meh.

You still buying? I've also been waiting 3 years for this.. I've finally come to the sad reality that the iPod Touch will always be slightly behind the iPhone. (go figure lol) :rolleyes:

So.. I could wait another two years, and maybe it will get a camera that the current iPhone 4 has, along with flash... But by then... That would already be behind the iPhone. It would be an endless cycle of waiting.. haha

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.