Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I fully expect this to kill the Mac off unless they release Intel alongside and can somehow sort the compatibility issue. At the very least it will be several years of hurt for Mac owners like it was with iPad... which still isn't really where you'd want it to be. This isn't like the move from Power PC to x86, Windows was far more popular and so it was easy for developers to port their stuff. This is moving to ARM where all they'll get is Mobile apps.... which PC people do not want. It'll require developers putting in the time to port their stuff to it, which is where the several years of hurt comes into.

That all relies on Apple not closing off the Mac ecosystem like IOS, which if they do that.... it's dead. If you cannot install from "unsafe" sources, then the Mac is dead.
Why do I get the impression that many of your bold predictions actually never materialise? It also seems you completely missed the announcement of Rosetta 2, as well as commitments from Adobe and Microsoft to port their software. Also, a huge part of the limitations of the iPad are due to the OS as well as hardware features (in terms of input devices but also RAM) and not because of the processor architecture.

SevrinDantus

Suspended
Oct 14, 2020
Why do I get the impression that many of your bold predictions actually never materialise? It also seems you completely missed the announcement of Rosetta 2, as well as commitments from Adobe and Microsoft to port their software. Also, a huge part of the limitations of the iPad are due to the OS as well as hardware features (in terms of input devices but also RAM) and not because of the processor architecture.
He doesn’t know what he is talking about. Every major dev company already working on arm architecture because since the new CEO took place at Microsoft its clear windows is not going forward. Microsoft is now an cloud services company
So every major and minor dev company their 5 year strategy is to port apps for arm
Even the big servers are due to go full arm until 2030

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
(46 + 17 + 42 + 23) / 4 = 32 months average. Since we’re almost 37 months since the last update, I’d say we’re 5 months overdue.
Although one could argue, that the variance is quite large and that we are still within a reasonable timeframe for not being long overdue.
While all true, you are missing the part where the short breaks between updates were due to something missing in the current model that probably should have been included, one being 1080p on the ATV2, and the other being 4K on the ATV4.

The other updates were much longer, and I think that is what the ATV4K is in.

We are at 36 months now, and the high end of the updates were 42 and 46. Hardly "overdue" for an update.

When thinking of "overdue" for an update, the break between the 2014 and 2018 Mac mini comes to mind. Another good example is the break between the 2013 Mac Pro and 2019 Mac Pro.

When we get about up to the four year mark, then the use of "overdue" becomes more warranted. @ 36 months, it is well with in the normal upgrade cycle.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Some might argue that it is missing a useable remote. Generally, when people are somewhat dissatisfied with a product or just don't find it particularly compelling, they tend to convert that feeling into an expectation that the product should be updated (or should have been updated already).
I can understand this, although, I wouldn't quite fit it in the same category as missing 1080p and 4K, as those features are universally liked, or at least people were indifferent to them.

While there are many that don't like the Siri Remote, there are many that do, so it isn't a major feature that everyone wants.

Besides, I think a new remote would be a part of a major update like the ATV2 and ATV4 and not a supplemental upgrade like the ATV3 and ATV4K. Still putting the update cycle closer to the 42 and 46 months of the former.

uliwitness

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Only within a specified range. AirTags will supposedly have much more accurate location data, < metre. I think that's the point of them.

AIUI AirTags were just passive Bluetooth LE dongles.

The increased location accuracy came from the fact that surrounding phones would serve as a sort of mesh network and report which dongle they've seen, which means if you get more than 2 devices, you can use that to eliminate the inaccuracy a single phone has in its location based on movement and triangulating using Wifi itself.

Your phone could do the same thing. Ask other phones "how well can you receive me, and where are you?" and then use that to determine its own location. It makes no sense to use actual AirTag hardware for that. Unless Apple just wants to artificially lock that feature to AirTag to sell more units, of course.

uliwitness

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
I'd love to see some cheap ARM Mac devices, either a MacBook Air or Mac Mini. There's a lot of room for downward movement on prices considering they're no longer buying the much more expensive Intel chips. If Apple can sell an Apple TV for $200, I don't see why a hypothetical ARM Mac Mini with an A14 derivative and more storage and RAM couldn't be $400 or thereabouts.

I doubt that's how it will work out, but would love if it did.

For one, an Apple TV is much more of a "single-tasking" device like the early iPhones. You generally run one app at a time, maybe have a few background downloads. So Apple can use a much less powerful CPU (or even leftover A5 phone CPUs with a bum core, like they did for the AppleTV 3), and more importantly much less RAM (as they don't have to keep several apps loaded). Also, permanent storage can be much smaller (1/4th of the minimum Macs come with these days), as the general idea is that it's mainly a cache, not a hard disk for offline use.

So basically, an AppleTV is closer to a "thin client" than a full PC. If you buy an Intel NUC, it starts in roughly the same price range as an Apple TV.

So I think the price savings is in being able to sell what is in some ways an iPhone 1 but leaving away the expensive battery, GPS, Wifi and touch display you'd pay for in that, as well as keeping the small storage (compared to a Mac), RAM and other things, which Apple mostly don't make themselves, and at best get a good deal on because they're such a huge customer.

The savings is likely not that Intel charges Apple more for a CPU than it would cost Apple to make themselves. At best, there might be some synergy now where Apple can amortize the cost of developing a CPU across high-end phones and low-end Macs. So maybe the iPhone (being the better seller) can "subsidize" Macs. OTOH, margins on Macs are probably higher, so that might just end up going the opposite way: High-end Mac CPUs' power draw being reduced a few years later for the next generation of phones.

uliwitness

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
There's no word yet on exactly which Mac will get an Apple Silicon chip first, but based on rumors, candidates include a new MacBook Pro, a new MacBook Air, a resurrected 12-inch MacBook, or a new 24-inch iMac.

This is the most interesting part to me. I miss my 12" MacBook, and its main board was nearly iPhone-sized already. It seems like the easiest device to migrate to Apple Silicon, as they could probably stick an A13 Bionic in it and it would run at roughly the same speed. Given the chip could take advantage of the extra battery and larger area for heat dissipation, they could probably run it at higher frequencies than in the phones, too.

My dream would be if Apple finally built a convertible. Give me a MacBook/iPad hybrid. I barely use my iPad 3 these days, but miss its touch screen when I read iBooks on the Mac.

Of course, if Apple want to send a signal that "we're all in on Mac" they might rush a MacBook Pro to market. Who knows, they might have a bunch of iPhone CPU designs eliminated for drawing too much power just sitting in a drawer that would make for a speedy MacBook Pro or iMac.

That they're cutting it this close makes me a little worried though. Usually, hardware in the industry beyond Apple is announced and released in October, so it can make it into stores in sufficient numbers by Christmas. Apple not doing that here either means they're able to leverage their huge company status into expedited shipping, or they only care about their own official Apple stores right now. (we have seen that in the past)

Or they were too optimistic and are facing issues making the deadline, which could mean they'll let you order in November and start shipping in late December. In any way, that would worry me a bit that the first generation might be a lemon.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
AirTags remains my most anticipated, but I don't expect Apple to release until March as rumored. People just aren't moving around as much anymore due to the coronavirus, and as such, aren't losing things or needing to track items as often as before.

As for the Apple TV, I don't really see the point of a new model unless Apple is going to heavily push into gaming. The current model plays 4K Dolby Vision / Dolby Atmos just fine, and 8K is still years away from mainstream adoption. Personally, I don't think Apple has the ability to really succeed in the gaming space, given how lackluster Apple Arcade and Apple TV+ have been.

I'd love to see some cheap ARM Mac devices, either a MacBook Air or Mac Mini. There's a lot of room for downward movement on prices considering they're no longer buying the much more expensive Intel chips. If Apple can sell an Apple TV for $200, I don't see why a hypothetical ARM Mac Mini with an A14 derivative and more storage and RAM couldn't be $400 or thereabouts.
Yeah I agree about the ATV4K. My wife and I replaced our ATV4 about a year or so ago with ATV4K, and I’m really impressed still with the performance, 4K, HDR, Dolby, etc. What could they add to ATV to make the 4K better at this point other than upgraded chip (A12X?) and redesigned remote?

canonical

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
I originally poo-pooed Apple dropping Intel and seeking an independent path ... mostly for the lack of Windows compatibility (which was always a great help in transitioning users over from the Dark side). But my view is changing: I now think Apple Silicon (assuming it is faster, which it will have to be in order to succeed) will inject a new spirit of competition and innovation into the industry, and hopefully the first excitement in new hardware in years. Looking forwards to the November event.

Reactions: aid and Rick_2020

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
aapl silicon desktop macs with open architecture especially for new gen cards like nvidia rtx 3090 ti ($1500 - ouch)
getting one for my next gaming build
btw hey aapl ever going to compete with xbox arena? - gaming is growing fast
the money you spend in atv+ would have built a monster gaming platform and new gaming developments

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
What make Airtags any better than the other products out there?
I really don't see the need for them.

Let’s start by asking you some questions.

-How do you think tiles/(any similar tracker) are located when lost?
-What’s the accuracy in locating them?
-what’s the pricing model?
-how do you see them used (or not useful)?

If you know how other trackers work and their limitations, it’s easy to see how based off “rumoured spec” AirTags will be far superior.

KawaSr

macrumors newbie
16” MacBook Pro will get a refresh with new intel processors, a 1080p camera, and a new security chip potentially for improved finger print scanning and facial recognition. How come we are not talking about the 16” refresh? It also follows the Apple cadence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.