Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Niko03

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
What about those of us who aren't salivating over an iPad? It's a nice device alright, but a MACrumors site should have some news about, for example, the next MacBook Pro updates every so often.

I think it's time to rename this site "iPadRumors."

Dominik

While I agree it would be nice
if there was more balance in the rumors.
I don't know how you could expect different right now.

Soon the balance should return.....
Well maybe after the iPhone os 4.0 release.....
and maybe after the next iPhone hardware release....
Ok maybe someday...

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
So glad Steve is taking a stand against Flash. Any time I end up on a heavy flash site like restaurant and car sites I feel let down. I know the site will be cumbersome with poor small fonts and needless UI flourishes. There's a reason it's called Flash. All Flash and no substance.

Garion

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark, Europe
i'm not sure what this story is suppose to represent. iPhone specific sites without Flash are numerous and have been around for a long time. is this story suppose to imply that Adobe should suddenly prepare for the great wrath of iPad? please. the advancements of ActionScript 3.0 and Flash Player 10.1 are far more interesting than a larger iPod touch.

The iPad and iPhone and iPod Touch are just three examples of the new generation of mobile internet devices that turn their back on Flash, and look ahead to HTML5.

Two announcements were made today that may give you a clue about which way things are going:

1) News Corp. announced that they will start making a Flash-free version of The Wallstreet Journal, and indicated this was done in order to make it accesible on the iPad.

2) Microsoft announced at Mix10 that Internet Explorer 9 will have support for HTML5 - including the H.264 video codec!

Imagine how this will change the web developers outlook when all IE8 users gradually upgrade to the HTML5 ready IE9. Flash will no longer be needed.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The iPad and iPhone and iPod Touch are just three examples of the new generation of mobile internet devices that turn their back on Flash, and look ahead to HTML5.

Two announcements were made today that may give you a clue about which way things are going:

1) News Corp. announced that they will start making a Flash-free version of The Wallstreet Journal, and indicated this was done in order to make it accesible on the iPad.

2) Microsoft announced at Mix10 that Internet Explorer 9 will have support for HTML5 - including the H.264 video codec!

Imagine how this will change the web developers outlook when all IE8 users gradually upgrade to the HTML5 ready IE9. Flash will no longer be needed.

Three more years and Apple customers who have suffered for too long will finally be able to use the Internet in full :D

Niko03

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Based on the recent history of mobile device growth and the lack of Flash support on many/most of these devices, Flash is getting left behind.

The biggest potential for Internet growth over the next 5-10 years isn't on the desktop. The next generation Internet war will be fought on the mobile battlefield. The role of Flash in this marketplace is nearly zero.

It's not just Apple either. For example, the Mozilla Foundation yanked Flash support right before they MR'ed Firefox Mobile for Maemo devices. This is not Steve Jobs' personal vendetta against Adobe.

Yessss! I don't think many people realize this or think it through.

The only mobile phone market showing growth is the smartphone market.
Smartphones browsers are capable of viewing the whole web not just the totally dumbed down mobile site versions...... As long as they are not flash.

I don't believe there is a smartphone out that can deal effectively with most flash sites. Of course this statement is a broad generalization but in essence is true.

If you have a smartphone, it is your most convenient portal to the Internet.

I'll use my web surfing habits as an example:

pre iPhone - Desktop web access = 100%
post iPhone- Desktop web access = 25%. iPhone web access = 75%

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
As a Mac user I am starting to hate the iPad. Before you discard me just think the last time you have seen updates on Mac book Pros & Mac Pros. It seems the iPad is delaying the updates to these two Macs.

The more innovative new Apple products which can get tons of publicity, the more profitable Apple might become. The more profitable Apple is, the less likely they are to go broke and leave you with no new Mac Pros, nor continuing support for your current Macs. That almost happened in the Schindler era when they were mostly cranking out heaps of slightly updated tower boxen like you seem to want, instead of spreading their R&D + marketing dollars around a little more imaginatively and disciplined.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
If they run too many splash ads then all publishers will be punished with dumped subscriptions.
If flash is enabled at some point for the iPad and magazines and news fobbers abuse it then users will exit in droves!

I hope Jobsy is listening and warning them.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
The more innovative new Apple products which can get tons of publicity, the more profitable Apple might become. The more profitable Apple is, the less likely they are to go broke and leave you with no new Mac Pros, nor continuing support for your current Macs. That almost happened in the Schindler era when they were mostly cranking out heaps of slightly updated tower boxen like you seem to want, instead of spreading their R&D + marketing dollars around a little more imaginatively and disciplined.
That's funny, the performance of my AAPL holdings would seem to back up this claim.

Apple has kicked a$$ over the last five years. Anyone who says otherwise is just a disgruntled loser who didn't have the guts/chutzpah/foresight to buy AAPL shares when it was being traded at a split-adjusted price in the mid-$40s in early 2005.

padgadget

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
Can't wait

I'm looking forward to getting the full NPR "Car Talk" show right on my iPad with audio, forums and lice chat. I think we will see more and more sites begin to customize their content for the iPad and slowly start moving away from Flash to more standards based HTML 5 and H.264 standards.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Like I said earlier, if Apple starts selling web design programs with Flash-to-HTML 5.0 conversion tools, they'll have a hot seller on their hands.

This especially with the release of the first technical preview for Internet Explorer 9.0 for Windows, which will include HTML 5.0 and SVG graphics support in the final release, according to Microsoft.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I'm sure this is what Flash advocate hope for, but it doesn't seem likely at all.

Don't expect some great uprising from iPad buyers demanding Flash. Video delivery is really the only key here. Most people don't need Flash for anything else. You wouldn't be seeing these larger sites moving to something more iPad-friendly if they weren't betting on the success of Apple.

That's just it. Flash makes up content sites too... sometimes just the navigation on a site uses Flash! It's not that we're just missing out on videos, it's the entire web we can potentially miss out on. Have you ever done web browsing without Flash for REAL BROWSING? I have been so frustrated just trying to go to a restaurant website trying to find hours of operation... only to find the site uses Flash for navigation = no viewing from the iPad!

We have a much bigger problem here than video, and the problem is that not all sites are going to become "iPad optimized" anytime soon. Most entrepreneurs won't even realized that their site isn't viewable. Most of these people hired a web designer who simply didn't know the decision to include Flash navigation or graphics wouldn't be seen my such a "powerful" or capable device as the iPad. Remember that a year ago 98% of the devices that surfed the web were able to display Flash content whether it be video, navigation, or pretty graphics!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Actually, they aren't telling you that. Other than Flash, it will display the entire website. I'm sure the optimizing isn't only concerned with fitting the content on the screen.

Flash is an accepted standard whether Apple likes it or not. The word "standard" was even used in the original post of this thread. People use Flash as a web standard. One year ago, 98% of devices that connected to the Internet were web accessible. Apple is taking its new devices backwards in capabilities and time. Why tout h.264 and html5 as the solution if they offer no access to all of the web that uses Flash? This is NOT a solution!

appleseed76

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
Wow.

Only Apple could wrangle this kind of support for Flash-alternative content. Get ready for the Apple and Adobe juggernauts to collide. What a battle!!!

Now all Apple, or a 3rd party company, needs to do is create a program similar to Flip4Mac. You know, the program that flips Windows Media Videos to QuickTime. Explain to me again why Flash can't be flipped to QuickTime. Codecs issues, intellectual property rights, what is it?

Niko03

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
MR (and Apple?) has to promote/advertise articles like this in order to sell/promote the iPad?! Seriously?! This is totally lame...and I am sickened that I had to even GLANCE at this headline while coming here today. I am not exaggerating with the word sickened.

This is like Honda announcing that 6 new gas stations are opening up in New York next month.

Sheeeeez.

-Eric

NO. It is not at all like Honda announcing 6 new gas stations.

It would be more like Honda announcing 6 brand new hydrogen refueling stations for it's futuristic new fuelcell vehicle which they are about to launch.
If you were a hardcore Honda devotee, this would be something you would be interested in.

It's not like the headline read...
"Apple approves 6 more iPhone flashlight apps today!!!"

Niko03

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
No. This is like Honda announcing a new liquid hydrogen powered car and Shell announcing that they'd be adding hydrogen pumps to half their gas stations.

And if you can't see why THAT would be important news then I really can't help you.

Oops, I didn't see your post, when I posted virtually the same thing in #90 above.

At least you see it too, and of course great minds.....

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
This has been my point all along. So many entrepreneur and small business websites were created using Flash for even simple navigation for "pretty" results which require Flash for navigation. If Flash was just about animated simple graphics and navigational links designed to make sites look better, Apple would have been on board with Adobe a long time ago.

Since Flash also means free video content that competes with Apple's iTunes store, and Free Web Apps that compete with Apple's App Store, Flash is a threat to Apple's business model. Therefore, Jobs blames it on crap software, but the results show that html5 and h.264 offer almost zero benefit over Flash when Adobe has access to APIs to make Flash great, as on Windows.

It's easy for a few publishing companies to change their content, but the web is full of sites comprised of Flash that will not be viewable or "surfable" by the iPad for many years. I believe Apple gets away without Flash on the iPhone because it's a phone. I don't think people will be happy when they realize their $500 to $830 iPad will not even surf the web, as the iPad is being sold as a web device first and foremost. I suspect a lot of problems when people realize that these other sites have no plans to add non-Flash based sites. In addition, all of these iPad buyers will have to BUY every bit of content that they could get for free via ad-based sites like hulu.com.

I don't believe Apple is going to get away with just saying html5 and h.264 is the answer, when it's multiple years off from providing widescale usage and integration into the web. Flash is an "accepted" standard now whether Apple likes it or not. A year ago, 98% of all web connected devices could run Flash, and I consider that a "standard."

Flash is a terrible program. Really thats about it. All your bizzaro stuff about competing video content is just silly. Apple has solid technical reasons for not supporting Flash. First and foremost they wanted the iPhone and iPad to provide a good web browsing experience. Flash contributes to that in no way. Don't blame Apple, blame Adobe.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Real Video was an "accepted" standard for video on the web a decade ago.
Today not so much.

Web technologies change over time, dude. :)

And flash is being replaced by an actual standard that doesn't rely on Adobe making functional software.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Three more years and Apple customers who have suffered for too long will finally be able to use the Internet in full :D

Everyone is suffering, not just Apple users. Some people just don't realize why their browser started dragging along and took 3 or 4 minutes to close down.

P.S. If anyone out there is creating a new site using flash and taking a break right now to read this. STOP.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Flash is an accepted standard whether Apple likes it or not. The word "standard" was even used in the original post of this thread. People use Flash as a web standard. One year ago, 98% of devices that connected to the Internet were web accessible. Apple is taking its new devices backwards in capabilities and time. Why tout h.264 and html5 as the solution if they offer no access to all of the web that uses Flash? This is NOT a solution!

The problem is to implement flash requires Adobe to write code, and they are really , really bad at it. Flash player on windows is barely tolerable and is a complete disaster on every other platform.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Two sites converted, about a million more to go. SJ will be racking up those frequent flyer miles in the coming months.

acaden

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
Therefore, Jobs blames it on crap software, but the results show that html5 and h.264 offer almost zero benefit over Flash when Adobe has access to APIs to make Flash great, as on Windows.
HTML5 and h.264 support are in their infancy. The point isn't whether they are faster now. The point is opening the standard.

Look at JavaScript - because there is such intense open competition between browsers in the last few years JavaScript execution speeds have increased what, 10-15x?

Now imagine JavaScript was a closed standard that forever used only a runtime from one company, such as Microsoft's dreadful Internet Explorer interpreter. That's Flash, and that's why it needs to die right now.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Round 1 in the ipad flash battle is going to apple. I wonder if they are sharing their sales numbers with content providers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.