O2 Launches iPhone Simplicity Tariff

BlueHorizonUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2003
Currently on O2 Simplicity and paying 20 per month (or slightly less as the VAT is 15%) and rang O2 today to move to Orange.

They said would you like to move to the iPhone Simplicity tarrif, same price, minutes and text and includes internet, WiFi and VISUAL VOICEMAIL!!

All on a rolling 30 day contract.

Said sign me up and moving onto it at midnight.

He said it is not advertised anywhere but if you call they will move you over.

Thought you might all want to know.

Pennine

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
Glossop UK
Currently on O2 Simplicity and paying 20 per month (or slightly less as the VAT is 15%) and rang O2 today to move to Orange.

They said would you like to move to the iPhone Simplicity tarrif, same price, minutes and text and includes internet, WiFi and VISUAL VOICEMAIL!!

All on a rolling 30 day contract.

Said sign me up and moving onto it at midnight.

He said it is not advertised anywhere but if you call they will move you over.

Thought you might all want to know.
Wow that's great, my contract finishes Jan so I will be getting it

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
There's a bit more about it on the O2 forums.

The new tariff is called the "O2 Simplicity 20 for iPhone" and there's also a second tariff at £30 for 1200 minutes and 2400 texts, both on a 30 day rolling contract with unlimited internet, free cloud/openzone wifi and visual voicemail included.

nazuk

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
England, UK
Well let's face it, the original 18 month iPhone 3G contracts from launch day are due to expire on 11th January 2010, so you can see why they have done this.

I suspect it's something to do with a mass exodus!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
So how do we get this Sim, online or over the phone?
Everyone over on the O2 and hotukdeals forums has done it over the phone. You don't need a new SIM if you are already on contract with O2, they will just change you over to the Simplicity tariff when your contract finishes.

CBX

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Just so I get this right, what exactly is the difference between this simplicity plan and the current £35 tariff?

It sounds like nothing. If so why would anyone stay on the £35 tariff? Sounds a great deal considering how much you pay for the web bolt on etc.

I wonder if ppl would get preferential treatment if they were on the std £35 tariff when the next iPhone rolls around...

nazuk

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
England, UK
Just so I get this right, what exactly is the difference between this simplicity plan and the current £35 tariff?

It sounds like nothing. If so why would anyone stay on the £35 tariff? Sounds a great deal considering how much you pay for the web bolt on etc.

I wonder if ppl would get preferential treatment if they were on the std £35 tariff when the next iPhone rolls around...

So you would pay £15 more per month to get preferential treatment? For what? O2 would love customers like you.... a marketing man's dream.

In case you didn't get it, there is no point staying on the £35 tariff, that's just for people who can't be bothered to 'change'. Just like the banks have this monopoly when majority of customers don't shop around for an account.

CBX

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
So you would pay £15 more per month to get preferential treatment? For what? O2 would love customers like you.... a marketing man's dream.
No I wouldnt pay £15 extra a month for preferential treatment. Read it again!! I said I "wonder if"... Ie if supply was short - give it to the "normal" contract users etc

In case you didn't get it, there is no point staying on the £35 tariff, that's just for people who can't be bothered to 'change'. Just like the banks have this monopoly when majority of customers don't shop around for an account.
Read it again!! :rolleyes: I was CHECKING to make sure I hadnt missed anything or that people were not mentioning about some "small print" or other short coming of it!! :rolleyes:

nazuk

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
England, UK
No I wouldnt pay £15 extra a month for preferential treatment. Read it again!! I said I "wonder if"... Ie if supply was short - give it to the "normal" contract users etc

Read it again!! :rolleyes: I was CHECKING to make sure I hadnt missed anything or that people were not mentioning about some "small print" or other short coming of it!! :rolleyes:

Touchy touchy... calm down.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Well let's face it, the original 18 month iPhone 3G contracts from launch day are due to expire on 11th January 2010, so you can see why they have done this.

I suspect it's something to do with a mass exodus!
I'm no fan of capitalism, but lower prices for a decent service like this is one of its strengths, in one of these rare situations with a genuinely competitive market.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Strange..i called them twice and each time none had any knowledge of an iPhone Simplicity...only the regular simplicity and normal iPhone tariffs

*Shrug*

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
A quick question.

I'm on an iPhone 3G with O2 Unlimited, paying £15 per month for Unlimited O2 to O2 calls/texts, and I'm three months into my free web/wifi bolt on.

Is there some form of credit check/contract to sign for the iPhone Simplicity tariff?

jeremybassett

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
Simplicity is a great tariff

My wife is on this tariff with her 2G iPhone. If you "sign up" for 12 months, I think you get 800 minutes which is a great deal. I think you can back out giving one month's notice.

I am surprised the other carriers have not offered a similar deal. I suppose the iPhone would have to be unlocked, which is a hassle and as far as I can gather, chargeable on an iPhone out of contract.

If anyone knows a better deal please, let me know.

Jeremy

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
quidco
give £100 cash back.
for 12 month simplicty.

so basically you get simplicity for £10 per month, on 12 month deal.

sweeeet. :)

when iphone official simplicity is buyable online, quidco maybe for that too.

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
If you "sign up" for 12 months, I think you get 800 minutes which is a great deal. I think you can back out giving one month's notice.
Umm... no. If you sign up for a 12 month contract, you can back out after 12 months. Whilst you get more minutes etc, you're locked in to a contract with o2 for another year. Seeming as its likely another iPhone will be released around June/July, its probably a good idea to go for the one month rolling contract which can be cancelled by giving just one month's notice.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Rye/London, UK
Great tariff - it's just a shame my iPhone struggled to get a signal at my desk at work. I've moved to T-Mobile on a similar tariff but miss Visual Voicemail. Oh well - actually being able to have a conversation and use 3G for web is far more important!

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
They needed to do this - I've just officially unlocked and gone Vodafone SIM-Only. £20/month buys me 600 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data. It also gives me something money can't buy: SOME FRICKIN' SIGNAL!

The special iPhone Simplicity tariff will be a retentions tool. You're most likely to be offered it if you call up and threaten to leave. Getting switched to it otherwise might be tricky.

jimmy83

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Will be switching to this when my 3g contract expires....in Feb I think.

Can you keep the same number? Also are any of you bothering with insurance now?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Ok i just called cancellations and they've now moved me from the regular simplicity to the iPhone one. It will take place on my next billing date (30th Dec). It seems only cancellations are aware of its existence as all other departments were clueless when asked

So i get 200 more texts
Free WiFi
Visual Voicemail

all for the same price...not bad.

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Ok i just called cancellations and they've now moved me from the regular simplicity to the iPhone one. It will take place on my next billing date (30th Dec). It seems only cancellations are aware of its existence as all other departments were clueless when asked

So i get 200 more texts
Free WiFi
Visual Voicemail

all for the same price...not bad.
Did you have an official iPhone o2 tariff before? I cannot get visual voicemail to work! My phone was purchased on PAYG but now on iPhone Simplicity 30.

Anyone else got VV to work but never had an official iPhone o2 tariff?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.