Office 2008 promotion - has anybody received?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rxiesling, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Rxiesling macrumors newbie

When I bought my Office 2004 Student's version in November, Microsoft was running a promotion for getting Office 2008 Home and Student version for just S&H charge. So I submitted the rebate. But since then I keep on getting backorder notification emails from Microsoft, and the shipment has delayed until March. Further more, I have to respond to the emails to notify that I still want the product, otherwise, the order is canceled.
    Has anybody actually received DVD? Does the promotion still work? I really should have skipped 2004 and wait until 2008 to avoid the frustration.
    Thanks.

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

If it makes you feel any better, I took advantage of the same deal and haven't even received an email from MS yet.

3. f1 macrumors 6502

You're supposed to get it six to eight weeks after the release

4. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

I did the same promotion and just barely sent off the order with the required details. I'm not expecting it anytime before March. In fact, I'll be surprised if I get it before mid-March 2008.

That's ok with me. Most of what I've been reading about Office 2008 hasn't been too favorable, especially from people having sync issues with their handhelds under Entourage 2008.

While it's slow, 2004 is working fine for me.

5. dborja macrumors 6502a

+1

I called them three weeks ago and was advised to resubmit my claim online and include a note with my proof of purchase saying that I had already sent in my 2004 box top. Still no word nor email...:(

6. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Ugh, now I'm all worried about mine...I sent it in 2+ weeks ago and haven't received an email. :mad:

7. TheseGoTo11 macrumors member

My order status says "In Process", which unfortunately isn't the same thing as shipping. However, when I first checked the status after receiving the email notification my order status was "On Backorder", so at least I've been upgraded...if "In Process" is a good thing.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I emailed them last night and (amazingly enough) got a reply this morning saying they received my order (along with proof-of-purchase), gave me an order number and essentially said it was in the 6-8 week queue.

With the growing list of problems with '08, I'm not in a hurry to install. I still have Office X running on MBP & 10.5. I'm hoping they have an update between now and the time I receive it. I mostly took advantage of the $50 deal to have '08 around for compatibility reasons. Otherwise, I have iWork ;)

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

After the website for my 2008 order switched for Issue with order to Order in process I called to get an update on Friday.

The guy on the phone said when it switches to Order in process that means it's being packaged for shipment. He said I could probably call back on Monday and get a tracking number.

I submitted my order on Jan 1.

-Kevin

10. P1053 macrumors newbie

P1053

Seems like a scam to me.

I just received an email informing me that the product was on back order.

The new expected ship date for your product is 2/18/2008.

If you wish to receive this product, if available by the new expected ship date
    shown above, NO RESPONSE IS REQUIRED.

If you no longer wish to receive this product, you may cancel your order by
    responding to this e-mail and placing an X in front of option #1 below or by
    contacting our customer service department at 506-694-4328.

If we are unable to ship this product by the new expected ship date shown, but
    you wish to receive the product when it becomes available, you may update your
    order by responding to this e-mail and placing an X in front of option #2 below
    or by contacting our customer service department at 506-694-4328.

Looks like they are trying to make it hard for customers to receive the update.

Phil

11. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Figures.

12. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

Just emailed them asking for a progress on my order. Hoping to get a quick response.

13. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

It takes a while to get the email, I just got it the other day. I was expecting to wait the full 8 weeks, so give it time to see if they're just making you wait or trying to completely screw you over.

14. akadmon macrumors 68010

I got the "Back order update" email today as well, telling me that if I don't confirm I still want it the order will be cancelled. WTF!

I'm calling those fools first thing Monday and giving them a piece of my mind. Oh, and I might also call the BBB. How the hell could Microsoft not have enough supply is beyond comprehension! We're talking DVDs, for Christ's sakes! Heck, they could just set up a dedicated server from which those who ordered during the SSD promotion could download the software. Most people have broadband, so this is really the way to go anyway.

EDIT: I already had Office Mac 2004, so the only reason I bought another copy was because, with the $100 rebate, I was getting the new version for $31.99. Did they not realize a lot of people would would do exactly what I did? Well, apparently not, since it looks like they want out of the deal now. But I'm not going to validate this scam by confirming my continued interest in getting what they promised to deliver when I signed up for the deal. No fn way!

15. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

I did the same thing. It was the cheapest way to get the upgrade.

I did get my $100 rebate check in about 4 weeks, which was impressive for any mail-in rebate.

Holding out for this one. Looks like we are getting the backseat treatment for our upgrades.

16. Rxiesling thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got my credit card bill yesterday, and the $10 shipping & handling was posted by Microsoft a few days ago. So I guess the promotion is working, but the expected ship date is in March!

17. Picasosz macrumors newbie

Exchange Sever

I have not got my copy yet but I am Canceling My Order. Entourage 2008 has killed exchange server support. Its not worth it. Its better just to steal this software then to buy it. because if you buy it expecting it to work like the old version than you will be deeply disappointed that you can no longer sync with exchange server. And you will be out 150.00 dollars.

18. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

Shipping in March... I thought so. Waiting till others that paid the higher priced to get their upgrades before shipping our under $10 special.

As for Exchange Server support, it has more support, but there's some things missing still like notes and tasks synchronization.

19. akadmon macrumors 68010

So I called MS about the email I got over the weekend (saying that they will cancel the order unless I respond within 30 days), and was told not to worry, no need to respond in any way. The excuse the guy gave me was that the message was "poorly worded". You bet it was!

20. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

M$ charged my credit card for the $6.99....so looks like it shipped via DHL. The online site says Shipped....but where there should be a tracking number....instead it says TrackingNumberText. Way to go M$....good design!

-Kevin

21. akadmon macrumors 68010

Where do you go to check the status online? The original signup form gave only a telephone number to call.

22. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

I never got a phone number (that I could see). Only an email address. I will have to look again on the paperwork for the phone number.

A place to check online would be nice.

23. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

The original email I received after I submitted the order has a link which takes me right to my order (after signing in to my ever so used Windows Live account).

I'm guessing everybody's link is unique.

-Kevin

24. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

The only number I've used is: 506-694-4328

-Kevin

25. '73-B macrumors regular

Mine is supposed to ship on 2/4/2008. I did however already receive my $100 rebate from purchasing the 2004 version on black Friday! :)