Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
TBi said:
Well considering it is 17" and given that the old 17" Powerbook is around 25% more expensive than the 15" i think the Dell beats it in price.

I'm waiting for the reviews to come out before i get one. Although work is buying me a new laptop (Dell Latitude D820 with a Core duo) so i think i'll invest in an iMac instead.

True. Its sort of hard to compare with different lcds (especially since thats the most expensive part). But I think considering that adding what we can to make things comparable drives the price well above $2500 on the Dell, and that with the exception of the lcd, those things that we can't make comparable all add value to the Mac I would consider the Macbook comparably priced to Dell's best offerings.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
AmbitiousLemon said:
True. Its sort of hard to compare with different lcds (especially since thats the most expensive part). But I think considering that adding what we can to make things comparable drives the price well above $2500 on the Dell, and that with the exception of the lcd, those things that we can't make comparable all add value to the Mac I would consider the Macbook comparably priced to Dell's best offerings.
Agreed. Plus you need to add on the cost of virus protection, spyware and adware apps, etc., to the Dell machine.

In any case, I just got "e-pproval" from my boss on my MacBook request. Assuming accounting and IT go along with it, I will hopefully have my 1.8/1GB/100GB-7200 MacBook on order.

Woohoo!

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
AmbitiousLemon said:

Just throwing in my 2 cents. You made some valid points but i was just highlighting the LCD size/resolution difference. It would be better if dell had a 15" to directly compare the mac to.

I'd really love a Macbook pro but i'll say we'll all be waiting a while for them plus the X1600 isn't the best graphics card for the price (the standalone ATi price not the Macbook price) but i guess Apple want that H.264 decoding loving. Thankfully i have a friend working in Apple who never uses his 25% discount :).

zapp

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Caribou,ME
me too

solaris said:
* 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo Processor
* 2GB DDR2 RAM
* 100GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
* 256MB X1600 Graphic Card

Estimated shipping: February 15.

ordered as soon as the store came up ships 15 feb too

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
gammamonk said:
I'm an Apple fan-boy all the way, but you asked for it.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=19&kc=ref&oc=ie1705s1

This is pretty comparable to the highend apple model, and $500 cheaper. Even more if you get a nice dell coupon off dealsea or slickdeals or something.
Adding XP Pro ($149), 100GB HD (+$50), DVD burner (+$75), Bluetooth 2.0 (+49), makes the difference $175. To use the DVD burner, you also need to add extra software (+$79). So, there's a $94 difference. Also, there's already $300 off, and Dell usually doesn't allow you add coupons in such cases.

zapp

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Caribou,ME
plinden said:
Adding XP Pro ($149), 100GB HD (+$50), DVD burner (+$75), Bluetooth 2.0 (+49), makes the difference $175. To use the DVD burner, you also need to add extra software (+$79). So, there's a $94 difference. Also, there's already $300 off, and Dell usually doesn't allow you add coupons in such cases.

don't forget the remote

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Who cares whether the price comes out to be exactly the same as the Dell or not. Would anyone take this "comparable" Dell laptop if the Dell was priced $200 less or something, and the Dell ran OSX? I wouldn't. I'd take the MacBook Pro.

I'd rather eat my own poo than take the Dell.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I purchased mine as soon as the keynote was over. took me 5 minutes because I had to empty my freaking basket. I left my dream order in there from last time. As much as I would have loved to buy the $13,000 worth of wares that were in there. . . Umm no. :p

At any rate I picked up the following

-PowerBook* 1.83Ghz / 100GB 5400RPM / 2GB RAM / 256 OMG GPU.
-1 spare battery
-Applecare
-.Mac for a year.

I was a little bit irked. I thought people who purchased systems got a discount on .Mac for $60something. :( I'm also planning on replacing the hard drive with a 160GB drive sometime next year just before Leopard ships so I can do a clean install.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Abstract said:
Who cares whether the price comes out to be exactly the same as the Dell or not. Would anyone take this "comparable" Dell laptop if the Dell was priced $200 less or something, and the Dell ran OSX? I wouldn't. I'd take the MacBook Pro.

Speaking as someone who rolls out Dell laptops practically on a weekly basis I can say this from a point of authority.

You couldn’t fracking pay me to take a Dell laptop. I could list about a dozen reasons but lets stick with the easiest. Their quality sucks my white fat [bleep.]

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Abstract said:

It matters because PC people (not necessarily PC-fanboys, but just people who use PCs instead of Macs) have an impression that Macs are more expensive than PCs. In fact the headline on The Register for Macworld was "Intel Macs stay at non-Intel prices." Now that Apple is using intel processors it makes these comparisons even easier (since we don't have to guess at what processors are equivalent). In light of media claims that Macs are still overpriced, it is a nice exercise to go to Dell and see if Macs really are pricer than their bargain-basement cousins.

Many of us spend time convincing friends and family to buy mac (if only so we don't have to listen to them whine about their non-functioning Wintel), and it is helpful to be able to counter the "Macs are too expensive" line when it gets thrown out at you.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
gammamonk said:
I'm an Apple fan-boy all the way, but you asked for it.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=19&kc=ref&oc=ie1705s1

This is pretty comparable to the highend apple model, and $500 cheaper. Even more if you get a nice dell coupon off dealsea or slickdeals or something.

I added 100GB HD, DVD burner and a remote, the price came to $2124. Of course this one has a 17'' (not so bright) screen. Bright one is $150 extra. The question is whether it is worth the extra $300 or so for OSX + iLife + iSight. I think price is close and certainly not overpriced.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
theBB said:
I added 100GB HD, DVD burner and a remote, the price came to $2124. Of course this one has a 17'' (not so bright) screen. Bright one is $150 extra. The question is whether it is worth the extra $300 or so for OSX + iLife + iSight. I think price is close and certainly not overpriced.

you also need to add:
Genuine Windows XP Professional [add $149] (to make it more equivalent to OSX - though you lose the media center features)
Remote Control for Windows XP Media Center Edition [add $19]
100GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive [add $50]
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability [add $75]
Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Internal(2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate) [add $49]
80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery [add $99]
iSight [add $150]
Add CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service to 1Yr Lim Warranty [add $119]
Dell On Call, 30day, Getting started Assistance, unlimited incidents [add $49] (together with the previous that gets us equal to Apple's free warranty)
plus software to equal the various titles apple bundles with their pro machines (which is much more than just iLife/iWork) [add $79 for iLife add $79 for iWork add another $99 for the assorted third-party titles Apple includes]
plus throw in some virus protection/updates and spyware/adware protection and professional firewall. [add $99]
total add-ons: $1115 (yes people thats how these cheap PC vendors make their money)

That brings this $1999 (already discounted from $2299) Dell laptop with a larger (but poorer quality) lcd to a whopping: $3114

ooh that was fun.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
theBB said:

Add to that the fact that when you call Apple with technical support you can actually understand them and in many areas there are Apple stores where you can take your laptop in for assistance. Show me where I can go for help with how to do something on your computer vs. Free instore Apple events

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
Ordered immediately after the store came up (minus the time to empty my basket..few too many dream machines in there!):

MacBook Pro 1.83GHz
1GB RAM (1 SO DIMM)
7200rpm 100GB Hard Disk

Ships on or before 7th Feb.

digitalmatty

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
toronto
MacBook Pro - 1.67GHz
1 gig ram.

Estimated time to ship: February

where is my specified date? is it because I like mayonaise and say "aboot"?

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
I'm curious why you all are selecting the models you are getting. I am leaning towards the 1.67, since it seems to have everything I need. I can't imagine why I would need the additional 128mb of video ram, and the slight increase in speed doesn't seem worth it...

So, why have you picked the models you have picked?

Thanks!

cleung

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Hong Kong
digitalmatty said:
MacBook Pro - 1.67GHz
1 gig ram.

Estimated time to ship: February

where is my specified date? is it because I like mayonaise and say "aboot"?

I just ordered mine today too:
MacBook Pro 1.83 Ghz, 1G RAM.

Mine also lacks a specific ship date! I want it NOW!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Why are you guys adding dual-layer DVD's to these Dell systems?

The DVD drive in the new MacBook Pro is listed under the specs as a 4x Single Layer drive.
picture21cf.png

It's weird because on one of the promotional pages it shows an arrow to the drive listing it as an 8x.
picture14mu.png

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Chundles said:
Why are you guys adding dual-layer DVD's to these Dell systems?

cuz Dell doesn't have a non-DL 4x DVD writer as an option.

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2003
I just ordered the 1.6 with 1gb of ram. How do you think this will compare to my 1.6ghz PowerMac G5, with 768 of ram. (I am actually selling this in the marketplace) I am going to keep my cinema display I think. Do you think the powerbook will outperform my old desktop?

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Powerbook 17" order cancelled.

MacBook Pro 1.83GHz with 7200RPM 100GB HDD ordered.

10% discount from my original order honoured on the new order too (due to a stuffup on the delivery of my original order).

Happy as a pig in proverbial.

But now begins the wait...

Wes Jordan

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
DissMissile said:
15.4 Inch MacBook Pro
1.67 Ghz Intel Core Duo Processor
512 MB of RAM
100 GB 5400 Rpm Hard Drive
Apple USB Modem (for the days when I'm at home and away from school) :confused:
Estimated Shipping: February

Hey I don't care about what you guys may say about the potential Rev. A problems, this will be my FIRST MAC!!! :D

You scare me....I am in exactly the same boat, my first Mac with the EXACT system, same HD upgrade and all. Now only if someone would advise me about Aspyr releasing Sims 2 Universal Binary and whether I should return the games(sims2 and univ) that I bought with it:mad: .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.