Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
ehurtley said:
1.83GHz Core Duo
1 GB RAM (single DIMM)
100 GB, 7200 RPM hard drive
Estimated ship: February (will update when I find out more)

Why did I pick the single DIMM? So I can more easily upgrade later. While some Core Duo notebooks take advantage of Intel's 945 chipset's 'dual-channel' memory, I called Apple Tech Support, and was told that the MBP does *NOT* support dual-channel memory. So I chose a single DIMM to more easily upgrade later. (If they had confirmed dual-channel memory, I woudl have gone with the two 512s and saved $100.)

I'm confused. Could I put a 1 gig stick in it and keep the 512, totaling 1.5gb of ram? Also would doing this slow the computer at all?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Winstonp said:
I'm confused. Could I put a 1 gig stick in it and keep the 512, totaling 1.5gb of ram? Also would doing this slow the computer at all?

Yes you can simply add a second stick of non-matched RAM. This should make the machine faster :)

Even if the MacBook supported dual-channel RAM this would not be active when you are using a single stick only so there is no loss there.

noelister

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
My order

Thought I would join in. Ordered within an hour of the Keynote.

MacBook Pro - 1.83

1GB 667 DDR2- 1 SO-DIMM
100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600-256M
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Airport Extreme Card&BT

shipping Feb. 15 2006

(copied from my order status page)

geekologist

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
Texas
Whuch Model?

I am currently saving money for a MacBook Pro. I am homeschooled and I can get discounts at the Apple Store. I want to get a few other opinions on which model I should get. Here is what I will use it for: School, Audio Editing (for my podcast), Video Editing (for my vidcast), Gaming, Media, and Blogging/web surfing. I will also be starting private school next year and will want to take notes and record the lessons. Should I get the basic model for $1799 or spend $2299 for the 1.87 GHz model. Also, do you think I will notice a difference in the 7200 RPM HD for gaming? I just wanted to get some other peoples honest opinions. Thanks.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
my order

MacBook Pro
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
1GB 667 DDR2 - 1 SO-DIMM
100GB Serial ATA drive @ 7200 rpm
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 - 256MB GDDR3

Estimated ship: February 15th, 2005
Delivered within 2-3 business days after shipping

geekologist

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
Texas
Wrong Thread

Oops. I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry about that. I'm new and didn't notice the "Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion" thread.

alep85

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Ordered the day after the annoucement:
MacBook Pro
-15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
-1.67GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 Cache
-667MHz frontside bus
-512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (going to upgrade to 1 GB myself)
-100GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
-Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
-ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Of course, shipping on or before Feb 15th

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
I ordered the day of the announcement about 5 minutes after the store was back online. It was really slow for a few minutes, and I was worried that an order went through twice.

But I ordered:

The Stock 1.67 Core Duo MacBook Pro

Estimated Ship: on or before 2/15 ------ Estimated Delivery ------ 2/23

I'd love to have it delivered sooner since my Birthday is 2.10 or even having it ship on 2.10 would be a nice b-day present.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
gammamonk said:
I'm an Apple fan-boy all the way, but you asked for it.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=19&kc=ref&oc=ie1705s1

This is pretty comparable to the highend apple model, and $500 cheaper. Even more if you get a nice dell coupon off dealsea or slickdeals or something.
If you make the specifications ACTUALLY the same, it's pretty close.
On that link, you forgot:
- Remote Control
- UltraSharp Widescreen Monitor (I bet the MBP monitor is STILL brighter)
- 100 GB HDD
- SuperDrive
- Internal Bluetooth
- 80 WHr battery

After these, it comes to $2,435.

And you forgot the big thing: Bundled software.
Windows PC's come with crap for software. (Especially with all the bloatware that ship with Windows PC's nowadays.) iLife, let's see... FREE on a Mac. Finding comparable (which is almost impossible) software for Windows would most likely cost you thousands of dollars.

Also, for some people they're eligible for a discount. On the 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro, that's $200 off. Pretty nice.

berkleeboy210 said:
I ordered the day of the announcement about 5 minutes after the store was back online. It was really slow for a few minutes, and I was worried that an order went through twice.

But I ordered:

The Stock 1.67 Core Duo MacBook Pro

Estimated Ship: on or before 2/15 ------ Estimated Delivery ------ 2/23

I'd love to have it delivered sooner since my Birthday is 2.10 or even having it ship on 2.10 would be a nice b-day present.
Apple's usually pretty conservative on their shipping estimates.

I don't know if you'll get it for your birthday, but when my brother ordered his iPod 5G (the day it came out), he was quoted a week before it even shipped - yet he received it just three days after he ordered it.

sarnog

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2006
Official® "I bought a MacBook Pro" Thread

Why should the iMac folks get to have all the fun?

I ordered a 1.83 Ghz MacBook Pro w/ 7200rpm drive an hour after the keynote. I also bought another 1Gb of memory from http://macsales.com/.

Patiently waiting for it to ship on the 15th (maybe 7th?). I know several folks expect theirs on the 7th :mad:.

Let's post about our purchase. And for those that get theirs on the 7th, you gotta tell us how sweet they are!

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
sarnog said:
Why should the iMac folks get to have all the fun?

I ordered a 1.83 Ghz MacBook Pro w/ 7200rpm drive an hour after the keynote. I also bought another 1Gb of memory from http://macsales.com/.

Patiently waiting for it to ship on the 15th (maybe 7th?). I know several folks expect theirs on the 7th :mad:.

Let's post about our purchase. And for those that get theirs on the 7th, you gotta tell us how sweet they are!

There was one of these, not sure where it went though.

MacSyn

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
Just ordered 1.67G from Amazon as my own birthday present, estimated ship date is 4/11. :eek: Should I cancel it?

NeuronBasher

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
I ordered the 1.83 the morning after the keynote. I had one in my cart about 20 minutes after the keynote and waffled back and forth for a while before I convinced myself to pull the trigger.

My 2nd 1GB RAM module from OWC/Macsales.com has already arrived an I'm (im)patiently waiting for the MacBook.

I'm hoping it'll come before the 15th since I'm going on a business trip I'd love to have it for, but I'm not counting on it and am currently planning on taking my Dell on one last trip.

AtlJohn1980

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Question???? The new MBP's are supposed to be in stores Mid/Late Feb right,so why not try to buy one from a retail store if your by one? Won't you be able to get it quicker? I'm new so be nice with the reply :D

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
MacSyn said:
Just ordered 1.67G from Amazon as my own birthday present, estimated ship date is 4/11. :eek: Should I cancel it?

I've ordered many of my Macs through Amazon...don't cancel because they always over-estimate the delivery time just to cover the bases. Every time I've ordered from them, my Mac's have arrived ahead of schedule. And remember, you're paying no sales tax (at least if you live outside of Washington state) and you get the $150.00 rebate...all around $300.00 worth of savings and worth it, IMHO.
Oh, and I too have placed an order with Amazon for the 1.83 MacBook Pro...estimated delivery is April 5th.

MacSyn

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
PieMac said:
my Mac's have arrived ahead of schedule. And remember, you're paying no sales tax (at least if you live outside of Washington state) and you get the $150.00 rebate...all around $300.00 worth of savings and worth it, IMHO.
Oh, and I too have placed an order with Amazon for the 1.83 MacBook Pro...estimated delivery is April 5th.

how much earlier it arrived? I don't know if I have patience to wait til March even if Amazon delivered it ahead of schedule...:p :p

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I ordered the 1.83GHz MacBook Pro and upgraded to the 7200rpm 100gb hard drive. I'm going to order another gig of ram from 18004memory.com, since it's the lowest price I've come across, $105, and several co-workers have had good experiences there.

I hope they ship early, the wait is killing me... hopefully at least by this week we should know if things are on schedule with those people that have the 7th as a ship date.

sarnog

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2006
You know, it may be worth summarizing what can be gathered about battery life from what we know thus far:

We're probably OK expecting somewhere close to 3:30-4:00 hours for real-life scenarios.

ieani said:
I hope some reviews come out before then. Im anxious to see the battery life on these.

Deimo

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
16 days until my 1.83GHz new toy arrives. Standard Configuration with another gig of ram coming from crucial whenever their stock gets replenished (hopefully they'll match). I'm also hoping that the rumors are true about the chip being replaceable so I can do an upgrade early next year to merom :)

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
MacSyn said:
how much earlier it arrived? I don't know if I have patience to wait til March even if Amazon delivered it ahead of schedule...:p :p

From what I can remember, when I ordered my current 1.67 Powerbook last year, I ordered it the day they were announced and received it in about 20 days (the estimated delivery was something like April at the time...same as this time). However, this being a whole new beast, I'm sure the demand is much greater, but Amazon is usually on the conservative side with their estimates as a rule.

I've actually ordered one of each MacBook Pro because I am still in debate over which to get and I didn't want to miss out on the rebate which ends tomorrow. I'll be cancelling one...just not sure which yet. For the slight increase in processor power with the more expensive 1.83 dual, I'm starting to think that the 1.67 dual will probably be sufficient...even after adding a 1 GB stick of RAM, it comes out $400.00 cheaper. And I really don't need the extra 20 GB of hard drive space (I have a 250GB LaCie external drive) or the faster video card (I mostly do photo editing, very little video except for the occasional home movie).

Decisions, decisions....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.