Official MacRumors Nike+ August 2008 Challenges

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by QCassidy352, Aug 1, 2008.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Ok, so there are no new challenges yet, but we didn't have a July thread, and I thought we should have a new one rather than continuing to post in the June thread. :)

I'm looking forward to a good month of training with not much else on my plate at this point.

Happy trails, folks!

2. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

I am Nike+ runner. I didn't know these forums had a Nike+ "group"

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yes indeed! You should send a PM to ziwi and ask him to add you to the challenges that we have each month. We have things like most miles, fastest 5k, teams based on your favorite [mac/movie/food/whatever], and a year-long group challenge to reach 25,000 miles! It's a lot of fun, and we'd love to have you aboard. :)

4. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

I'm hoping for better this month, combination of winter (where I am), strained calf muscles, new job with 0200hours to 0400hours start times has seen my kilometres drop away to almost nothing in June/July.

Might have to quit my job to get the Kilometres ticking over:D

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for creating this thread. maybe we need to get ahold of ziwi or something, since we haven't seen him in a while.

i am starting back running a little more than before. still not 40 miles a week probably, but maybe 30. we'll see how it goes.

6. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

So what is going on? Seems like many folks bailed out on the challenges. The mileages seem messed up, but then it seems like many participants have withdrawn. Guess folks lost interest.

7. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

Looks like the Nike site had a meltdown. I haven't bailed but my km's/miles have reset to zero.:mad:

8. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Same, and plus I started offical practice this week so I switched back to a normal watch.

9. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm guessing the "withdrawals" are part of the site's meltdown. My miles won't even upload as of now.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

dang, and we thought the site was bad before! i hope this gets fixed pronto!

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Help guys... I need new running shoes. Mine are officially too small when I wear them for more than an hour and I have an icky black toe. They are/were Nike Air Pegasus and hadn't really had too many problems aside from my left hip getting a little sore about 70 minutes into a run.

Previously, I 'd go to a store, try on some running shoes, see what felt comfortable and buy em - but since I'm doing a half marathon in October and need to be able to run for two hours plus at a stretch rather than 45 minutes or so, I figured I should go to a proper running store and get fitted in case the shoe was contributing to the hip.

So, I went to get my gait analysed, was told I was a mild overpronator but the store (since small) didn't have many shoes in my size. I tried on some Saucony Omnis but they felt like there was pressure under my arch which although not painful, felt odd. They could order in some Asics 2130s for me to try but not for a week or so and I needed them sooner.

So I went to another store and bought the 2130s - tried em running on a treadmill and, not sure if I was trying to overanalyse but they didn't feel right. I ended up with a slightly sore back which I don't usually have and just little niggles. They're in a box to be returned.

Went to another proper running store where they agreed with the first store's assessment but felt that the 2130s weren't flexible enough. They tried me in another pair of Saucony (Omni Guides) that felt OK but I ended up with a pair of New Balance 768s since they felt like I didn't have shoes on.

Now comes the problem - I did two 30 minute sessions on the treadmill (I usually run outdoors for an hour so shouldn't have been a biggie) and all was OK. Then I ran for 35 minutes outside and about 25 minutes in, my left hip started to ache. I came home, stretched and took off my shoes. The next day, my hip still ached - outside of hip a couple of inches below the joint itself. I figured that perhaps my shoes were now correcting something that wasn't corrected before so should keep trying.

I put the shoes back on again tonight and they feel wrong. One foot is OK, the other feels like the cushioning has 'changed' and one side of my heel is being pushed up while the other sinks down into the cushioning. Is that normal for shoes to feel like they've changed so much? Or could it be a fault in the insole? Since I've run outdoors, I doubt I'll be able to return the shoes - but I'm not sure whether to throw good money after bad and get a pair of insoles to see if that rectifies things?

Any advice?

12. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

well that's a tough one. I guess I would just say that new shoes should never give you such severe pains like that. Yes, there might be some aches if there's different support, but what you describe is too much. Muscle aches are ok - joint pain like you describe is not. Take 'em back to the store and get fitted with something else (after telling them what happened).

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

That's what I kinda figured. I have the new shoes to take back to the store at lunchtime. I'll see what they say.

I'm not sure if it's something to do with how the insoles have 'moulded' to my feet since they definitely feel decidedly different to how they did on Saturday pm. We'll see what happens but it's so frustrating. I really need new shoes and to get a chance to wear them in a little before the Human Race on 31 August...

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Hmmm, store were great about it - and said that my feet might just not like that type of heel construct since apparently one side does have far more support than the other.

They tried me in another 4 or 5 pairs (two I'd tried already and three different ones) and I now have a pair of Adidas Supernova Sequences which felt best one and they felt were still giving me enough support.

I'll give them a brief run out on the treadmill tonight before my Pump class and see how they feel. Have my fingers very tightly crossed though since the running store closes on Saturday night for their annual 2-week holiday so if these aren't right, I'm doomed to wear my old, slightly small ones for the 10k.

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i'm glad that the store was nice about it. i hope this pair works for you

16. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

I hope the new ones work out for you. It can be hard to fond good shoes, but it's worth the effort.

My new brooks are actually hurting my feet... I think. Unless it's my other shoes... :-/ maybe back to asics for me.

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I think they're going to work :D

Have been out for a couple of light 30 minute sessions and so far, so good. No hip pain, no blisters, no knee pain, no shin splints... fingers crossed.

Will go out for a proper 60 minute one tomorrow and see how they go...

So has anyone figured out where half the people in the challenges have gone and where most of our 25000 miles disappeared to?

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

glad the shoes are working for you.

Still don't know what's going ok with the challenges

19. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

Some sort of meltdown.
    The Nike+ site has forgiven me, it allowed me back in today.
    Also gave me back my Km's/miles.

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i'm glad that you're back in ;)

21. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

Not anymore:mad:

A few hours ago I tried to upload a run.
    Nike+ site down for "improvements".
    Todays run has vanished, My Challenges have all GONE:mad: all history of my runs GONE:mad:my records GONE:mad:
    It has kept total of KM's run

Anyone else still have challenges?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      183.7 KB
      Views:
  22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i wouldn't worry too much about that. my account has been like that before, but all my numbers came back

23. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

The weather down here has stopped my running for the time being, but am looking forward to getting back to it once it cools down a bit.

Plus, we're hot & heavy in diving season, and that's taken most of my free time.

Sounds like excuses (they are) but I've been good and kept the weight off in my "off time" so I'm ready to get back to it.

24. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, a pleasant but unexpected vacation has basically ruined my august running. That's what tends to happen when I'm not training for anything in particular...

25. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, get out running when you can

yeah, i hear ya. vacations are usually not a bad thing though. hope you enjoyed it