Official MacRumors Nike+ June 2008 Challenges

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ziwi, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Another Month completed and the Group has passed 10,000 miles this year so far in the 25,000 mile challenge. Excellent work! Everyone will have to rev it up as we see if when we get to the halfway mark we are actually...halfway there ;)
    The big 2 have been hampered by some injuries and what-not so the rest of us need to carry the torch. I still think we can do it - even with a few more new folks to join the party - all are welcome - walk if you have to.

The other May challenges were the Family Guy challenge where the Stewie group easily won...the next in line was Quagmire - who knew...I was thinking I should have run for Joe - just because it would have been funny on its own.

Finally, chicken is the meat of choice among the MacRumors running group - beef came in a close second.

For June we have run for your favorite Pixar movie, favorite Apple product line and the 92 day Forrest Gump challenge. Everyone stay healthy and stay running. All miles are good miles.

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Hey everyone, sorry I've haven't run with the kit in awhile. I hope to change that though this summer. Today I bought the Nike+ Sportsband so I could run with it over the summer. I tried to use it today after installing the software and charging it, but it would not pair up with the sensor. I don't get why this would not work. If anyone here has one, could you please help me? This will be the difference between running everyday with Nike+ or not. ;)

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

another good month for MR. Ziwi looked great with another 200 mile effort.

I'm getting better and better. My knee feels 100% most days now, so I keep adding more running.

I joined the june challenges, but I don't have the option to join the forest gump challenge. I got the invite, but I can't see the challenge on the nike+ site. Just me?

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i was able to sync my sportsband with my current sensor. the directions are in the manual that i downloaded from nikeplus.com. did you download the directions and follow them?

yes, another great month for ziwi. well done!

glad to hear you are getting better still. i am on my way, but still not running regularly. i did go on a 3 mile run the other day though. hopefully i'll get back in it more soon

5. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I've tried everything I could think of. :( I tried using both sensors, turning them on and off. I've tried linking and relinking them. I decided that I have a defective unit and one of my parents are going to return it today and get a new one. :mad: I hope the next one turns out better. :)

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

good that you are returning it. i had no trouble with mine

7. ziwi thread starter macrumors 65816

ziwi

So the reports on the new wrist band are good? Sweat issues? How many miles logged? Any concerns? I am thinking of this option for the outdoors as the sweat tends to make the iPod act strange (already lost one to it). Provide detailed review ;)

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, i haven't used mine enough to give a full review. but honestly, it seems to be way off as far as being accurate. which i haven't calibrated it yet, since i haven't been running very much lately.

9. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Good news everyone, I got a replacement Sportsband today and it works. The last one I had must had been defective or something. I can't wait till I get to go on a run with it tomorrow. :cool:

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

good stuff. glad you get it worked out. let us know how you like the sportsband

11. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I like it except it needs to be calibrated so badly! I hope by the end of the week I can get out to a track and get it done. It cuts off so much and is way off when it comes to pace as well.

12. ziwi thread starter macrumors 65816

ziwi

Cutting out during a run would make me not get it. Please keep us updated on how this item works or doesn't work. Anyone else using the sportband?

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, i told ya about the calibration issues, though i still haven't calibrated mine yet. i don't use mine very often.

i think he meant that it cut off miles, not actually cut off during a run

14. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Yeah, I meant it cut off distance and over time it would cut off so many miles. :)

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Feel free to reprimand me if this should be in its own thread or in some other centralized thread (and I'll repost there), but I have some questions for those of you who are a bit more experienced both as runners and as Nike+ users.

So, I've got a pretty slow pace and haven't really run on a regular basis in almost five years. Last I ran I was an 8-8:30/m pace. I'd like to get myself back there, and eventually down to 6/m over 1.5m. So, the questions are "how?".

How should I be training? My plan is to simply run 2.5 MWF and either using an elliptical for 30 min or a 1m training run on TTh. I'm probably not being as efficient as I could be - so what should I do?

How to I program whatever training routine into the Nike+ system? I set my goal to 5 runs under 8min, but got lost with all the options. More disturbingly, I just logged in here at work, and I got in just fine, but it "lost" my screenname, route, goal, etc.

16. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

can i get invited to the next challenge my screen name on nike+ is jr325

17. buffalo macrumors 65816

It's too bad the wristband is $60. I would like to contribute the 500-700 miles I will run this summer to the group, but I can not justify the cost considering I currently train with a Garmin Forerunner. I'm assuming there is no manual entry of miles into the Nike+ system...

18. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Nope. The only way to enter miles is to use the iPod nano or the Sportsband.

19. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

can I join? I just started running recently but should be able to contribute 40 miles a month

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I really want the garmin 405. I tried the 205 for a while and it was just too big to run with comfortably. The 405 is sold out everywhere, though!

I think the nike+ would be a serious disappointment to you, as compared to GPS. The nike+ accuracy would be nowhere near what you get from garmin.

21. buffalo macrumors 65816

I was thinking that if the wristband was $30 or under, I would not mind buying it and wearing it in addition to the Forerunner.

Anyways, the 405 has potential, but it is not quite ready yet. I logged about 1200 miles on my 205 when I bought it at release (Feb. 2006) until it took a bad fall and split open last July (2007). I decided not to replace it knowing there was a chance there would be an update at CES.

Now if you think Apple is getting sort of bad at releasing products on time, look at Garmin and you will reconsider. The 405 was first shown at CES with an expected release of late February. February comes around and they say mid-March. Mid-March turns into early April, which then becomes the Boston Marathon (Apr. 21) for the 405's debut. I finally got my 405 in early May.

The positives:
    - smaller form factor... I won't be wearing it around all the time, but the smaller watch appearance is nice.
    - wireless data transfer... My ANT+ stick is upstairs, but it will detect the 405 soon after walking inside.

Problems to be worked out:
    - accuracy... My unit and others (reading on the Motionbased forums) are underreporting distance. For example, a .90 mile loop around a park which the 205 always measure as .89 or .90 has been measured by the 405 as .85-.87.
    - wireless data transfer... Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't work it is not hard to manually upload the information.
    - Garmin Connect... This will be the replacement for MotionBased, but it is not ready yet. It is slow and does not provide the same level of information. (see my sample activity)
    - 405 locking up... I and others have had problems with the 405 switching into Power Save mode during a run. My 405 has locked up several times.

Most/if not all of these issues should be able to be fixed through software updates. Really it's not that bad that you have to wait. Check REI.com (or your store if you have one). They tend to get Garmin products in the soonest (first store with the 205/305, 405, Colorado series). Also if you sign up for their newsletter you can get 15% off the 405.

[EDIT] I did not intend for my comments about the 405 to be this long when I began this post!!! If you do have any questions, feel free to ask.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

wow, thanks for the long and detailed review. The review online don't generally seem as negative as yours though - they mostly focus on problems with garmin's software.

The problems that really give me pause are the underreporting and the locking up. Those are pretty fundamental issues (misreporting is the reason that I want something other than the nike+).

A question - how much smaller than the 205 is it? (I haven't been able to find one in real life to try out - REI and every other store seems to be entirely sold out.) The 205 was just too big for me to enjoy running with. I am hoping the 405 is a significant upgrade in that regard. Thanks!

23. buffalo macrumors 65816

Well, the problems I listed are software issues, that should be resolved with future software/firmware updates. I guess the exception is distance reporting... I don't know if software can do anything for that.

To go into a little more detail about the locking up problem. This has happened twice this past week. On Saturday, about 54 minutes into the run, the watch automatically switches from training mode (running time, distance, pace) to the real time screen. The bezel does not respond to anything, so I cannot get it back into training mode. Maybe five minutes after I finished the run the bezel began to work again, so I was able to switch into training mode and stop the timer. A situation similar to this happened on Tuesday, yet it was fine Monday and Thursday.

Now, the 405 really isn't much smaller than the 2/305. The big improvement is the design. The 405's more streamlined watch-like appearance is what makes it look nicer on the hand. I did post some pictures of the 405 here (post 387). If you would like, I would be happy to dig out the 205 and post some comparison shots later on today.

24. ziwi thread starter macrumors 65816

ziwi

Have iPod nano w/ Nike+ or sportband and you are good to go. Just PM me your nike+ id (case specific) or the email you used to sign up and we will gladly take your miles...;)

This is not something you fix overnight (especially for us old folks :eek:) - I am still not there and have been trying to increase the speed for quite some time. The key is to include specific speed, hill and interval workouts - the nike+ coach has some good stuff, but creating the environment to perform it may be an issue.

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

IF the under reporting cannot be fixed, that is a fatal flaw, IMO. The whole reason to get a GPS is to know exactly how far/fast you are running. Do you know if the under reporting is a universal problem (as opposed to only a few users having it)?

If you could take pictures of the 405 next to your 205 that would be great. Thanks!