Official® "I just bought a iMac Core Duo" thread

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
2,097
0
Surprised I haven't seen a single, consolidated iMac thread...

So, I ordered my 17-inch online last night. Nothing added on. Just hoping my iMac arrives by Friday (I did rush delivery and everything!). Still has not shipped... I hope it ships by tomorrow.

And I bought the DVI adapter so that the DVI I bought for what I thought was going to be a Intel Mac Mini doesn't go to waste. :) That shipped today, coming from Pennsylvania, so it should arrive tomorrow.

Post if you made a purchase and consequently received your iMac!
 

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
1,641
0
Boston, Massachusetts
I ordered a 17" iMac and a Mac Book Pro yesterday right after the keynote...

My iMac isn't suppose to ship until 1/18 supposedly b/c I added the wireless keyboard/mouse.

Mac Book Pro estimated ship of Feb.

:)
 

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
1,955
0
I Live Where I Live
berkleeboy210 said:
I ordered a 17" iMac and a Mac Book Pro yesterday right after the keynote...

My iMac isn't suppose to ship until 1/18 supposedly b/c I added the wireless keyboard/mouse.

Mac Book Pro estimated ship of Feb.

:)
damn you must be loaded!

lucky bastard!:D
 

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
600
0
As soon as it's in stock at the local Apple Store, I'm gonna snatch up a 20-inch.
 

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
1,641
0
Boston, Massachusetts
Phat_Pat said:
damn you must be loaded!

lucky bastard!:D
Whenever something new comes out, I just put everything else old tech stuff on eBay. and usually the cost difference of the new equipment isn't that much.

And now that Apple Accepts 2 Credit Cards at once, that helps a bit too.
:)
 

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
2,944
0
Alameda, CA
I played around with the new iMacs at Macworld today, and boy are they nice! They were configured with 2gb RAM... and OS X has never felt so snappy. Photoshop, Word, and Excel under Rosetta seem to run faster than they do on my Mac mini, and the iLife apps were as speedy as I could have hoped. Granted, I only had about 20 minutes to test them out... but I'm totally sold. I can't wait to see some actual benchmarks. I'll be ordering the 17" w/1gb RAM sometime next week (as soon as the guinea pigs, er, I mean early adopters, report that their machines have arrived and are working just fine).

The MacBooks, on the other hand, were nice but seemed to be very hot to the touch. I realize that they had been in use for 6 hours straight, but I think I'll pass for the time being.
 

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
589
1
Tacoma WA
Thanks for that info Flowbee! It's good to hear that the new iMacs are snappy. I'm in debate mode on the new MacBook Pro or the new iMac. I'm leaning towards the 20" iMac to compliment my iBook but I don't know....

Jack
 

Ryan T.

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2005
599
27
Rochester, NY
Ordered mine from Amazon b/c I had a coupon, but it seems as if my estimated ship date is mid-march. I'm going to assume that this is just a "safety date" since amazon doesn't want to put up a date it can't deliver on, and that I'll get it hopefully next week w/ the 2 day shipping I paid for.

also, can anyone else find a soDimm 667MHz chip cheaper than the $130 Crucial.com wants?
 

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
2,944
0
Alameda, CA
Zman5225 said:
I'm in debate mode on the new MacBook Pro or the new iMac.
I was having the same debate with myself. I've decided to go with the 17" iMac for now, and then pick up an Intel iBook (core solo?) when it's announced... assuming its price point is still $999 or so.

Right now I use a Mac mini and a Pismo (G3) Powerbook, so the speed upgrades will be significant.
 

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
573
0
Missouri
My dad ordered a 17" intel iMac w/ 1GB RAM, but I will have left again for 2nd semester at college before it gets here so I won't get to play with it :(
 

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
589
1
Tacoma WA
Ryan T. said:
Ordered mine from Amazon b/c I had a coupon, but it seems as if my estimated ship date is mid-march. I'm going to assume that this is just a "safety date" since amazon doesn't want to put up a date it can't deliver on, and that I'll get it hopefully next week w/ the 2 day shipping I paid for.

also, can anyone else find a soDimm 667MHz chip cheaper than the $130 Crucial.com wants?

yep, Data Memory Systems.

here's a link

http://www.datamem.com/AMM16.asp

oh and on the edit, where on amazon did you find the 20" iMac intel duo machine? I hope that's the one you ordered, or did you order the powerpc one? I can't seem to find the new intel one, or i'd order one from amazon myself. Hopefully i'm blind and just can't find it lol.
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,801
1,254
New Zealand
I'm probably going to order a 17" when they become available (early February, apparently). That'll involve selling my current 17" 2 GHz on an auction site then buying the new system with the money.
 

Avarus

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
16
0
I ordered mine yesterday 20' with wireless kb/m and 1gb or ram. I can't wait for it to get here, since it will essentially be my first Mac, excluding the eMac I use at work.
 

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
512
0
Chicago, IL
I just ordered a 20'' tonight. 2 Gigs of RAM, 256 MB graphics, wireless keyboard/mouse, iWork '06, Applecare, .Mac to go with iWeb, ....man I am so set. I had planned all along that as soon as a I got job for after graduation, which I did today, that I would order a new comp for myself and stop hogging my fiance's. I would like a PowerMac for the flexibility of upgrading, but I can't foresee spending that kinda dough for something, if anything, inferior to the current iMacs (I wasn't going all they way for Quad).

My plan is to keep the iMac at least until PowerMactels come out, or should I guess Mac Pros, and then switch if I want. I figured the Intel iMac should hold its value much more than a PowerMac G5, especially if a lot of pro apps go universal over the next few months.

Either way, I think I'll be more than satisfied with my iMac. :rolleyes:
 

Avarus

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
16
0
NewbieNerd said:
I just ordered a 20'' tonight. 2 Gigs of RAM, 256 MB graphics, wireless keyboard/mouse, iWork '06, Applecare, .Mac to go with iWeb, ....man I am so set. I had planned all along that as soon as a I got job for after graduation, which I did today, that I would order a new comp for myself and stop hogging my fiance's. I would like a PowerMac for the flexibility of upgrading, but I can't foresee spending that kinda dough for something, if anything, inferior to the current iMacs (I wasn't going all they way for Quad).

My plan is to keep the iMac at least until PowerMactels come out, or should I guess Mac Pros, and then switch if I want. I figured the Intel iMac should hold its value much more than a PowerMac G5, especially if a lot of pro apps go universal over the next few months.

Either way, I think I'll be more than satisfied with my iMac. :rolleyes:
It wouldn't be too hard to upgrade some parts of an iMac, well, the ram specifically and well maybe the HDD and GFX card. If you have ever gotten the chance to crack one open, it's pretty cool and the ram is pretty accessible. You could probably get to three gigs with 3rd party ram- not saying it would deffinitely work though. :D
 

Katya

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2005
12
0
I can't wait to see what you guys have to say about the new iMac once you've used it. I'm glad to hear that Photoshop seems to run pretty well even on Rosetta. I'm planning to get a 17" iMac w/ 2g RAM when it gets here in Asia (I'm assuming about 2-3 months). The good thing is, there will be some user reviews and benchmarks available already by that time so I'll know if it is indeed a good purchase or not. Whew! It turned out to be a blessing in disguise that I couldn't afford to buy an iMac G5 last December. :D
 

the_insider

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2005
177
0
USA / UK
just ordered a new intel imac from the apple store (switzerland). Maxed out, 2gb ram 256vram, 500gb hd. Not going to be here untill feb 8th.
 

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Katya said:
I can't wait to see what you guys have to say about the new iMac once you've used it. I'm glad to hear that Photoshop seems to run pretty well even on Rosetta...
I played with one of the Intel iMacs today at MacWorld - everything was lightening fast except for Photoshop. I opened Photoshop, and its icon bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced... Followed by a couple beachballs, the splash screen, another beachball, and finally PS was open.

Let's hope Adobe gets the Universal Binary releases out soon...
 

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
1,128
0
Peoria/Chicago, IL
FoxyKaye said:
I played with one of the Intel iMacs today at MacWorld - everything was lightening fast except for Photoshop. I opened Photoshop, and its icon bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced... Followed by a couple beachballs, the splash screen, another beachball, and finally PS was open.

Let's hope Adobe gets the Universal Binary releases out soon...
Thank God I don't use Photoshop.:rolleyes:
 

Katya

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2005
12
0
FoxyKaye said:
I played with one of the Intel iMacs today at MacWorld - everything was lightening fast except for Photoshop. I opened Photoshop, and its icon bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced... Followed by a couple beachballs, the splash screen, another beachball, and finally PS was open.

Let's hope Adobe gets the Universal Binary releases out soon...
Thanks for this feedback! I guess I'll hold off on buying Adobe Creative Suite 2 until it becomes native on Intel Macs.:)
 

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
2,944
0
Alameda, CA
FoxyKaye said:
I played with one of the Intel iMacs today at MacWorld - everything was lightening fast except for Photoshop. I opened Photoshop, and its icon bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced, and bounced... Followed by a couple beachballs, the splash screen, another beachball, and finally PS was open.
However, once Photoshop is open, it runs pretty well.

[Edit: I didn't experience any beachballs when opening Photoshop on the 17" iMac]
 

ce242

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2003
22
0
Southampton, England
Just ordered my 20" Intel iMac with 1gig ram (the rest standard). Cannot wait! Will be a big upgrade from my 1Ghz G4 powerbook :)

Estimated arrival date for me is in 12 days time (UK).

ce242
 

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
1,956
4
I ordered the one in my sig about 26 hours ago. Estimated ship is 20/01. I wish we got the 3 biz day ship like you US people do :(
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.