Official Safari 3 Beta Issues for Mac + PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac Rules, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

OK guys n girls,

Lets get a list of bugs and kown work-arounds for the new beta. Hopefully, somebody from Apple may read this topic and pass it on to the technical staff; but just to help, make sure you report any bugs through the Safari 'Report bugs' button or via their website.

I'd like to start this thread off, with a couple of issues.

1) When I clcik add bookmark on an RSS feed page, nothing happens, so effectively, I can't use RSS in Safari
    2) It's very fast, in many respects, but can easily lock-up, although it has only closed itself once, probably due to me anyway.
    3) The private browsing option doesn't stay highlighted, nor does the spell-check option after the browser is closed.

Another issue I've noticed, is that the windows don't shape themselves around the webpage like Safari 2, they either come up in a too-small box or just fill the page.

Anybody else?

Cheers

2. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

3 crashes while using .Mac web mail. Not sure what I was doing in particular at the time, but I've been trying to pay better attention to see if I'm doing something crazy.

3. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Caused erratic behavior in iChat. Messages would be delayed and took several seconds before sending.

Reverted back to Safari 2 and all is well again.

4. cashmoney macrumors member

I installed the new Safari 3 and after everything installed, it looked the same... nothing changed... still brushed aluminum.. yet the about safari says 3.0. I don't know what's going on. any ideas?

5. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Issue with MSN Messenger

Safari 3 for Mac was causing the MSN Messenger to behave in a really weird way. After installing it, everytime I tried to close a chat window, MSN just kept crashing. I had to uninstall Safary 3 in order to solve to problem.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It seems to remember what the last "zoom" mode was. Try the non-optimized zoom mode, resize to your liking. Then, open a new page and it should start out sized the same.

I've been experimenting with this to try and fix a case where new windows stacked in-place (you couldn't tell more than one browser window was open). After doing the above, then restarting Safari, it will now start up with the default window size as set. btw: now I can't repeat the "stacking" effect, but reported it to Apple anyway.

Personal observations:

Speed: it is MUCH zippier than 2.0. Even notice the response while editing this text. Reflowing page elements when resizing the window is smoother. RSS feeds load quicker.

Find: The new graphical Find is very nice.

"Reopen All Windows From Last Session" and "Reopen Last Closed Window": So many times I've "oops" closed a window, then had to go rummaging through the History menu. Nice features.

7. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

well, i've used safari for pc for a few hours now , what i felt was that , though it looks and feels much better that firefox and opera , there are tooooo many glitches in the beta version , here are a few:
    1. crashes when you try to bookmark a page
    2.crashes while tryin to open youtube?????
    3.cannot open yahoo mail??

other than that , its cool , hope apple sorts out the glitches soon and allows more functionality into the browser...

8. macridah macrumors 6502a

macridah

On Safari 3 on windows, I can choose my search engine. On my mac, I can't. Happen to any else ? I only have a windows PC because that what I use at work.

Attached Files:

9. macridah macrumors 6502a

macridah

And some of my widgets don't work anymore ... xCuts and Wikipedia widgets seem to just be the background. :confused:

10. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I can't even get the disk image of the download to mount correctly. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm using a PowerBook G4, running 10.4.9.

11. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Well, I haven't had any issues for the most part, but I just noticed something while browsing Flickr: When I click the "All sizes" button to view a picture at a larger size, normally that counts as visiting a new page (it is a different URL) and you can click the Back button to go back. Not so in Safari 3! In fact it appears that the page doesn't register in the History at all.

Same with the Windows version.

Fine in other browsers.

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There is a more reliable way to get the message across. Use Safari->Report Bugs to Apple… from its menu.

13. fwhh macrumors regular

Safari is neither showing bold fonts in Windows Vista or XP. Tested on 4 computers, so at least for german versions: unusable. Seems to be a font issue, as the version installed in Parallels doesn't show ANY fonts at all... Very poor quality, apple! (even for a beta)

14. Crashmaster macrumors newbie

For some reason Safari on my Windows XP machine looks like this:

[​IMG]

I have restarted and reinstalled Safari, I'm also running the latest drivers for my graphics card. Any ideas?

15. cxi2001 macrumors newbie

A brief foray onto Ebay shows that Ebay thinks i'm on Safari 1.0 and i need to upgrade my browser ?!

16. dcv macrumors G3

Not an "issue" but just a little annoyance...

At work I use WindowBlinds to skin my Windows pc with an Aqua-like interface, it also moves the close/minimise/maximise buttons from the right to the left hand side of windows so it's more user-friendly.

The Safari beta for Windows seems to ignore this 'skin' so I've got the default windows buttons on the right hand side, which is very annoying indeed.

Apart from that I can't fault it yet :)

17. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

one thing i've noticed is that it isn't tearing pages like v2 did for me. That's a step in the right direction!

18. philipz macrumors newbie

- If your PC has multiple monitors it behaves very funny; minimize/maximize buttons give results that make no sense at all. The maximize button almost placed Safari off my second screen.
    - Click on the "file" menu and the menu pops up on your other screen so you can't select anything.
    - I tried 3 appliances with Java applications; none of them worked.
    - Had one crash where it just quit the application.

19. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

Safari Windows crashes when I try to enter the login settings for my work proxy. and the options won't let you manually enter a proxy.

20. myjellyass macrumors regular

It doesn't look any different and won't look different until it comes as part of Leopard. The features are built in there though. Try dragging your tabs around, they should reorder (about time too in my opinion). Also, in the history menu you can find the features such as snapback and reopen last session.

My only "problem" is probably the most pathetic in this thread, but i don't think Safari 2 allowed you to resize the windows past the right edge of the screen (using the corner drag), but you can now put half of your scroll bar off the screen. Sorry, this one is just me being a bit OCD.

21. myjellyass macrumors regular

When you reload a page, it doesn't jump to where you previously were as it did in 2. Instead it loads the page viewing the top, jumps to where you were for one second then goes back to the top of the page.

22. iCe Cube macrumors regular

I have this problem as well!!

Also, safari 3 doesnt even open for me. Every time i try opening it the "safari crashed etc" box comes up.

23. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Another problem found, which I've noticed on ither threads too, is that Safari appears to load a page, with the blue bar moving accross the address bar, then the page never loads... So occasionally, the only way to get Safari to load pages is to hit refresh.

Could really do with an update in the next few weeks Steve :(

Cheers

24. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

After I installed it Transparent Dock stopped working. I've had to change to Clear Dock which seems to work fine.

Otherwise no other problems and it definitely feels very snappy!

25. mojohojo macrumors regular

not sure if its safari related, but since after installing safari beta for my mac. whenever using Messenger Mac - closing a chat window will cause it to crash and shut down. anyone else experience this?