Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

230933-skype_225.jpg

Skype, Inc. has just released their official Skype application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Skype is a very popular voice-over-IP (VOIP) and instant messaging application that allows you to make phone calls over the internet. CNet spent some time with the release version of the iPhone app:
Skype's screens are well organized and use the iPhone's ability to add filters, for instance, to sort your contacts alphabetically, or by who's online. There's chatting as well, though Skype's flagship feature is its VoIP calling that's free to other Skype users and an inexpensive per-minute fee to landlines. Calls on Skype for iPhone work only if you're in range of a Wi-Fi network, so your call quality will in part be at the mercy and strength of wireless networks nearby--calls will not work over the cell phone network on the iPhone (but chatting will.)
As restricted by Apple, the voice-over-IP phone calls will only work over Wi-Fi and not over the cellular connection. iPod Touch owners with a microphone can also take advantage of the VOIP calling.

App Store Link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304878510&mt=8

Article Link: Official Skype App is Now Available in the App Store

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
Absolutely flawless. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update: Replete with glitches and bugs. I hate it!!!!!

Comment

RQPS

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Same, I'm getting Item not available and now its not even coming up on a search for skype.

Comment

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
How lame of apple to approve the Ap without cellular connectivity. We are being charged a fee for data use but obviosly apple and more probably AT&T is limiting how much data can actually be used. AT&T has had several years to prepare their network for all of this increased activity.

I guess we can all guess that the sling player will be approved as wifi only. Really just pathetic.

Comment

InsanelyOne

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
My iPhone hard-crashed for the first time ever on the first call I made with Skype. Let's hope this isn't an omen.

Update: I'm finding it VERY buggy. It's crashing constantly. I'm on a 1st iPhone with version 2.2 OS.

Comment

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
How lame of apple to approve the Ap without cellular connectivity. We are being charged a fee for data use but obviosly apple and more probably AT&T is limiting how much data can actually be used. AT&T has had several years to prepare their network for all of this increased activity.

I guess we can all guess that the sling player will be approved as wifi only. Really just pathetic.

Not necessarily. I belive the orb app allows connections over 3g and that doesn't require any additional hardware except your computer. The slingbox requires separate hardware.

I don't have a problem with AT&T's rules. They would obviously not want you to use a competing product on their own network. You can say that you paid for the data but you also signed a contract with certain rules as well. You can always jailbreak your phone and use voipover3g.

Comment

SatanLover

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
isn't there a way with jailbreaking to trick your phone into thinking its on a wifi connection when you are really using cellular data?

Comment

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
BEWARE:

If you sign up for a Skype account on your iPhone you will be directed to some PCHome Taiwanese website to buy your Skype credits.

Comment

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
Yep doesnt work for me on the 3.0 beta. Anytime I try to call a phone contact when I hit the call button the app crashes and returns me to home screen.

Comment

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
BEWARE:

If you sign up for a Skype account on your iPhone you will be directed to some PCHome Taiwanese website to buy your Skype credits.

It won't even let me create an account. Apparently I have no connectivity via 3G or WiFi.

Comment

hkpatv

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2006
Disappointed so far

It has crashed on me about 5 times in 5 minutes, just trying to use the chat feature. I am on original iPhone, latest official (2.2.1?) firmware.
Nice it is able to access the iphone address book (is this available through standard API). Unable to test calls as away from home.
Seems someone in QC dropped the ball on this one, looking forward to the bug-fix release.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.