Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
So I run a simple benchmark on every mac I get. I record a show with EyeTV. I record 1:01hr and then encode it to ipod at the highest settings. Here are the results for my mac pros.

- 4 core 2.66ghz old mac prow/6gb ram: 1:07:37 hrs
- 8 core 3ghz old mac pro w/9gb ram: 0:46:52 hrs
- 8 core 2.8ghz New mac pro w/2gb ram: 0:27:15 hrs

That is freakin umbelievable. I can't wait to test it when my other 8gb of ram gets here. I think its safe to say that the new 3ghz octo is twice as fast at the last version. WOW!

Oh, and just in case you are curious. My mac mini with the elgato Turbo .264 got 1:20:17 hrs.

Rowlander

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
Pardon my language, but KICK A$$!

I´m sure you used the same encoding settings but maybe the time also differs, if the content of the video has more or less movement, but that can´t have that much of an impact. Hard to believe, the difference is that huge! :eek:

Very, very impressive from which ever angle you look at it. Now if only they would start shipping the Mac Pros with the 8800GTs. :eek:

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Pardon my language, but KICK A$$!

I´m sure you used the same encoding settings but maybe the time also differs, if the content of the video has more or less movement, but that can´t have that much of an impact. Hard to believe, the difference is that huge! :eek:

Very, very impressive from which ever angle you look at it. Now if only they would start shipping the Mac Pros with the 8800GTs. :eek:

I actually use the same exact tv recording for all my tests. Episode of stargate sg-1 called Fragile Balance. That is the episode where O'neil is cloned and returns as a kid.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Wow I'm impressed. Any doubt I had about buying an 8 core 2.8GHz Mac Pro have just been flushed down the toilet lol.

Can't wait to get mine now :D

aibo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California
With a 2.8 octo on order and being an EyeTV user this is very promising :)
Thanks for the comparison! Real-world, instead of all the synthetic benchmark uselessness most people post up.

Rowlander

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
I actually use the same exact tv recording for all my tests...
I see. That´s mindblowing.

While we are talking about speed: How fast does it boot and shut down?
I´m just asking because my current PC takes foreeever for both.
But don´t feel obligated to get out a stopwatch, I´m just trying to make the time pass by faster. :rolleyes: I´d just like to hear an estimate.
We need an entire thread with a bunch of these "This is how fast my new Mac Pro is:"-posts. :D

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
I see. That´s mindblowing.

While we are talking about speed: How fast does it boot and shut down?
I´m just asking because my current PC takes foreeever for both.
But don´t feel obligated to get out a stopwatch, I´m just trying to make the time pass by faster. :rolleyes: I´d just like to hear an estimate.
We need an entire thread with a bunch of these "This is how fast my new Mac Pro is:"-posts. :D

Just broke out the stop watch just for you. 31 seconds to password prompt.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Oh and another thing. The whole time it was encoding the fans never increased in speed. It is really remarkable.

Rowlander

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
... yes, but is it hip?
LOL.
Even better: The Mac Pro is so powerful, it doesn´t bother trying to be hip. That´s the definition of cool in my understanding. :cool:
Maybe that´s why they haven´t changed the casing in years: Just pure power. Never out of style. Unlike lots of other old Apple-designs.

I need to stop "nerding out" about the Mac Pro. Makes me look like a fool and the waiting even more difficult.

Just broke out the stop watch just for you. 31 seconds to password prompt.
Sounds good. That´s hardly enough to get a cup of coffee. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.