Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I hope a reset network settings fixes sometimes when my phone loses signal it won’t look for it again (on subway; etc)

Brand new XR. Already traded in my 7plus

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
Love the camera, battery life, physical size, color (red), face id, price (still less than I paid for my 6S+ and has twice the storage)

Just wish more apps were updated to support the new resolution to fix blurry text. Also portrait mode limited to humans.

Overall this phone is amazing and both my issues will (likely) be fixed in time. I can see myself keeping this phone for longer than my 6S+, which was 3 years.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I'm guessing Apple didn't make clear case because they couldn't prevent the eventual yellowing that happens like other companies cases.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I just found another thing I don't like. Alarm volume being tied to ringer volume. I'm so used to having separate controls on Android where I set them once and forgot about it.

Now there may be an unpleasant surprise in the morning, or missed calls during the day. I have made different versions of my alarm tone at different volumes though, so I hope that will be a decent workaround.

I do absolutely love the smootheness of the iPhone! Switching between apps it great with the guestures too

Katvonc

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Maybe but I remember on previous iphone's zero prints for the first few days. This was instant
This may be a reason to not open my phone until I get a screen protector on it. Hate anything trapped underneath.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
I just found another thing I don't like. Alarm volume being tied to ringer volume. I'm so used to having separate controls on Android where I set them once and forgot about it.

Now there may be an unpleasant surprise in the morning, or missed calls during the day. I have made different versions of my alarm tone at different volumes though, so I hope that will be a decent workaround.

I do absolutely love the smootheness of the iPhone! Switching between apps it great with the guestures too
Coming from Android this bothered me as well. Android has much better customization options. I was also surprised that I couldn't easily change the look and feel of iMessage.

Reactions: user1234

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Xr is quite heavy, if people use cases on it it will be more heavier. Probably Apple want people to use xr without case so people get used to its weight. Maybe then they will release light weight clear case for it. 3rd party cases I saw in apple store weren’t good.

You’re not telling me anything I didn’t already know.

Garemlin

Suspended
Oct 13, 2018

One thing I hated about android is volume control. The volume rocker controlled the media volume. You had to go into the sub menu to control the ringer volume. No easy way to mute a ringer quickly either. Squeeze would work sometimes and other time it would keep ringing. Usually at embarrassing times.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Not XR owner.. but spent some time with it today.. my thoughts.

Others have said it feels heavy.. it felt light to me.. felt lighter than I remember my 8+ feeling. Surprisingly light.

Screen is VERY good. Compared text side-by-side with my XS and I saw no PPI issues using the second to smallest text size setting. Great clarity and density of text. I did not compare video.

Colors look great. I liked the white more than I expected to.

Bezels were not an issue for me.. went ‘away’ in-use for me.

Felt very high quality.

SBG88

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Coming from a SE I find it difficult to have anything bad to say about it. I'm happy.

Face ID works so well I think it will open for anybody. I had to try and get some other people to unlock it to satisfy me.

I was in my car - phone was on a vent off at an angle - I had on a hat, sunglasses and reading glasses underneath my sunglasses - and the phone opened immediately. It's awesome but worries me at the same time. I just still can't believe it works that well.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Coming from a SE I find it difficult to have anything bad to say about it. I'm happy.

Face ID works so well I think it will open for anybody. I had to try and get some other people to unlock it to satisfy me.

I was in my car - phone was on a vent off at an angle - I had on a hat, sunglasses and reading glasses underneath my sunglasses - and the phone opened immediately. It's awesome but worries me at the same time. I just still can't believe it works that well.

Why are you worried about it unlocking immediately? It does that for you not for anyone else.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
Love all of it! Miss the telephoto on the back... Best iPhone I've owned. I was concerned about FaceID... It's crazy fast and crazy convenient... I couldn't go back to a home button/finger scan again...

However, the guy at ATT said FaceID is less than half as secure as the finger sensor... :cool:

Coachingguy

Reactions: OTACORB

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
One thing I hated about android is volume control. The volume rocker controlled the media volume. You had to go into the sub menu to control the ringer volume. No easy way to mute a ringer quickly either. Squeeze would work sometimes and other time it would keep ringing. Usually at embarrassing times.

What phone did you have? I've been exclusively on Nexus phones and they control ringer volume unless media is playing. Pie did change this though if I recall correctly. Worry way, I always had ringer volume on 50% and alarm volume on about 10% and that was it. I used do not disturb a lot though.

I wish apple would introduce a separate volume setting for alarms. Then it would be perfect. I love the physical mute switch

Garemlin

Suspended
Oct 13, 2018
What phone did you have? I've been exclusively on Nexus phones and they control ringer volume unless media is playing. Pie did change this though if I recall correctly. Worry way, I always had ringer volume on 50% and alarm volume on about 10% and that was it. I used do not disturb a lot though.

I wish apple would introduce a separate volume setting for alarms. Then it would be perfect. I love the physical mute switch

Pixel 2 XL. Several of my older android devices worked the same way. Mostly stuck with Motorola. Until the were bought out by Levono.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Love all of it! Miss the telephoto on the back... Best iPhone I've owned. I was concerned about FaceID... It's crazy fast and crazy convenient... I couldn't go back to a home button/finger scan again...

However, the guy at ATT said FaceID is less than half as secure as the finger sensor... :cool:

Coachingguy
Anything following these words should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Reactions: gurase

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Coming from a cheaper Xiaomi Android phone, I am loving my Xr, some minor inconveniences I discovered:
  • sometimes, one handed usage is more difficult due to longer display (coming from a 5.5")
  • I miss having a notification LED
  • Haptic Touch needs more features (mainly shortcuts from the homescreen)
Other than this, I'm loving the display quality, the amazing battery life, fluidity of iOS, FaceID, camera quality.
I've got the black one and it looks incredibly sleek

In Settings > General > Accessibility, you can enable LED flash for alerts.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
My primary thing is it is so thick and heavy. It feels chunky...

It is a bit on the heavy side for sure. I don't notice it in my pocket but my phone shelf finger (the pinky I put under the phone not to drop it while holding it upright) is feeling the pressure. It's also a bit bulky with a case. I feel that the screen size (especially width) and awesome battery life makes up for it though. I'm still at 61% after fairly heavy use.

Reactions: AliciaC

jmblazquezh

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2018
Fuenlabrada (Madrid-Spain)
Although I’m fully aware the new XR doesn’t have 3D Touch, all my other non 3D Touch devices like the iPad Pro 10.5 v2 for example, allow me to press and hold any notifcfication from the lock screen to quickly interact with it from the lock screen rather than tap on the notification to fully open the associated app. When I press and hold the notification on the XR lock screen nothing happens.

I contacted Apple today and spoke with a senior technical adviser, to identify why this feature has been disabled on the XR where is works everywhere else and they told me they don’t know why.....my thoughts are that in order to create a very clear distinction between the XS and the XR apple are making a real point of the fact that the XR doesn’t have 3D Touch by stripping away useful features. What a surprise Apple....another ‘Brave’ counter intuitive decision to increase user workflow and make their lives harder!

Is anyone else with the XR experiencing the same behaviour?

Just to be clear I know I can replicate the ‘quick reply’ type behaviour from the lock screen by swiping a notification left and the selecting view, however this method just adds another click to achieve something that can be achieved on all other devices 3D Touch enabled or not, just by pressing any holding and when you use this action a hundred times a day, extra taps just become slow and cumbersome.
[doublepost=1540811156][/doublepost]
Just put the Same point above my friend....it’s a real pain! This has to be remedied in a future update surely, I spoke with apple and they said submit feedback about it on apple.com/feedback.......
[doublepost=1540811520][/doublepost]
It is true, it’s not even a 3D Touch thing either, iPads can do this just fine without 3D Touch using the long press!

Reported this to Tim Cook in Twitter https://twitter.com/jmblazquezh/status/1057011848208400384

In less than 20 minutes, Apple Support account in Twitter says to me : https://twitter.com/AppleSupport/status/1057016222716444673

In addition I reported this as a bug in apple.com/feedback

Greetings from Spain.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
that's what they always say — "We'd like to look into this further with you. Send us a DM, and we'll go from there."

it's a feature, not a bug.

maybe for ios13 we'll see more long presses to replace 3D touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.