Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010
The Bezel looks like crap. For some reason the Xr feels unbalanced in my hands compared to the XsMax. In all honesty initially the colors look cool, but quickly makes the Xr look like toys. Sticking with my XsMax

Like crap? People nowadays get accustomed to new tech really fast...

Got my black one yesterday, very good performance, screen is fine though my wife's X is better. It is brighter and with better colors than my 6S, I cannot se any pixels when holding the phone at normal usage distances. Size isn't an issue, though I use two hands more than on my outgoing 6S. Really incredible to be able to have the 6S for 3 years and selling it second hand for 270$. As a business customer the XR costs around 690$ here so the old 6S almost financed half of the new one. Yeah!

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
OMG.. The XR is too big.. it's too heavy.. it has big thick ugly unbearable bezels! Last time I checked... Apple was not holding a gun to my head to buy these big huge ugly phones! I think many of these comments are total way over the top. Clearly there are some folks that do like smaller phones and I totally respect that.

Fortunately I've been using plus size phones a while and I find the XR isn't too heavy, isn't too big and the bezels (yeah it's got them) just don't bother me a single bit. I like this phone and it will be my daily driver going forward! Everyone one is entitled to their opinion!

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Is the text in Safari small to anyone else? On every other phone I own (some smaller than the XR) the text is bigger than it is on the XR. I've changed from Standard to Zoomed and it fixed it a little, but websites like Reddit and a few others I visit are noticeably smaller and harder to read on what is not my largest phone.

Otherwise, yeah, it's a great phone. The PPI and resolution aren't a problem. The bezels aren't a problem. The phone feels like the perfect size and weight. If I still owned an XS Max, it would be headed back to the store because the XR is an infinitely better value.

Also, battery life is insanely good and face ID works incredibly well in the dark, with my glasses on etc etc. I've had times when I forgot to even look at it that it still picked me up and unlocked the phone.

Garemlin

Suspended
Oct 13, 2018
Wondering if no home button is a huge adjustment..

You know when the X came out last year I had said my 7 plus would be the last iPhone I would own. That if there was no home button/finger print scanner that I wasn't interested. Just spent the last few months with a Pixel 2 XL and decided to come back. Pondered getting an 8 plus but figured I'd give the XR a go. Gestures take a few minutes to get used to. Don't even find myself going for a home button that isn't there. Of course Android P is gesture based so I was used to it. Face ID? It is eerily accurate and easy to use. I'm totally good with it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
There was a lot of talk about the screen resolution not being up to standards. It is good to hear there a few complaints and people are liking. Battery seems to be good, looks like Apple has a winner!

Some are liking so much they are returning their MAX fit it.

Reactions: OTACORB

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
For some reason, this doesn’t look right. Needs more polishing .

5C424AE3-B19E-4895-8ED7-B936217CBCB6.png

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Swiping left on the message notification on the lock screen and then tapping “view” might be what you’re looking for.
Figured this out last night..never knew about it cuz always used 3D Touch..but it’s a fine replacement for my purposes so thanks!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m finding it light and just the right size but then I am also using an 8 Plus and an S9+ and had a Max for a week.

Right now my Xr is heavy because I’m trying out one of the cases I got for $2 via Slickdeals and it’s chunky and clunky.

So far I’m loving everything about this phone. It’s a grey rainy cold day here and this sunny yellow phone is making me smile. It reminds me of bananas, dandelions, buttercups and Pikachu. :D

I guess my only “complaint” is that I think the yellow aluminum could be a bit more intense to match the back. But it’s not nearly as pale and muted as I feared it might be after seeing MKBHD’s video and comments.

And I do use 2x zoom a lot in photographing kids and pets and wild animals. So I will miss the 2 lens camera I had on the Max. But I’ll adjust.

The display looks great to me and I am so happy Apple is still offering an LCD option since my eyes could not take their implementation of OLED.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Returned the Max, for the price of the XR it is much better value as far as I am concerned.

Chief concern was the display, once I tested it out at Apple store I was quite please. Weight and bezels did not bother me at all and I am going without a case.

Returned the Max right then and there and patted myself on back for saving money.

Good job, Apple.

louai Shami

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
I upgraded my 6S to XR yesterday and I love it. Face ID has really surprised me with its speed and accuracy; the screen is much more vibrant not to mention hiaowge, it’s just a lovely phone. No regrets here.
Thank you for your feedback, will definitely take it into consideration !

Reactions: Katvonc

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Thank you for your feedback, will definitely take it into consideration !

I mean it’s a lot larger and heavier which takes getting used to. But it’s pretty usable one handed if you enable reachability. It’s a bit annoying you can’t use haptic touch to interact with lockscreen notifications but hopefully that will come at some point.

Reactions: Katvonc

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
I'm looking to upgrade my 6s to XR. People who got the XR, what do u think ?

To me, it sounds like a lot of plus size users are fine. But people coming from smaller size phones have pretty mixed reactions.

I used the 6+ for almost 4 years and earlier this year got the 8. I personally can’t stand using the smaller 8 so I’m super happy moving back to a larger phone. The XR is physically smaller than the 6..and in my hands, the size difference is just enough to make one handed use much more comfortable compared to my 6+.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I mean it’s a lot larger and heavier which takes getting used to. But it’s pretty usable one handed if you enable reachability. It’s a bit annoying you can’t use haptic touch to interact with lockscreen notifications but hopefully that will come at some point.

I found you will get used to the extra weight and size quickly. I went to the MAX and it only took 24 hours to become completely comfortable with size and weight and love the large screen. The XR should be easy to transition into for most.

Reactions: Jordan921
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.