Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG Display has begun developing an OLED panel for a 12.9-inch iPad model that features improved brightness, longevity, and durability, according to The Elec.

OLED-iPad-Pro-Feature.jpg

The Elec recently reported that Apple is preparing to release two new iPad Pro models with low-power LTPO OLED displays in 2023 or 2024. The new models could feature improved ProMotion with a wider range of refresh rates.

Further to that report, The Elec is now claiming that LG Display is planning to begin production of a 12.9-inch OLED display for an iPad between the end of 2023 and 2024. Samsung Display is also expected to be preparing to supply panels for the OLED iPad Pro models alongside LG Display, now that the OLED iPad Air that Samsung was working on for 2022 has reportedly been canceled.

LG Display is reportedly planning to use LTPO TFT technology to make the OLED panel up to two times brighter and prolong its working life by up to four times. Since consumers keep iPads for longer than iPhones, longevity and durability are said to be important goals for the display.

The panels are expected to use the same Gen 6 substrates used in the iPhone 13 Pro models, which already support LTPO TFT technology for refresh rates up to 120Hz. This could allow for a much wider range of refresh rates between 10Hz and 120Hz.

In a recent investor note from TF International Securities, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that Apple has abandoned its plans to release an iPad Air with an OLED display in 2022, with multiple sources now agreeing on a 2023 or later launch timeframe.

As per the previous report, Apple is currently planning to launch 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPads that use OLED panels in 2023 or 2024. The iPad Pro now appears to be Apple's focus for its first tablets with OLED displays, rather than the iPad Air. That being said, the report notes that Apple could still choose to use OLED technology on the iPad Air first due to pricing and supply volume.

Article Link: OLED 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Rumored to Feature Brighter, More Durable Display

• Love
Reactions: SurferPup

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I'll upgrade my 2018 12.9" whenever they do a proper redesign. It appears we're a couple of years away unfortunately.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Still makes no sense to me. If Apple thinks OLED is the better display, it could have switched to OLED this year instead of miniLED, which was a huge investment for them.

Yeah, these rumours are all over the place. Really don't understand what's going on. Maybe they're testing out several options, since these recent articles are pointing to devices 2-3 years away.

Reactions: one more

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Nothing against iPads.... they are freaking amazing and if you use one for productive purposes or content viewing, good on you.

As for me, they just don't light my fire. I have the base iPad and I occasionally use it but I'll aways be a Mac guy. (IE old). ?

I think for the majority of iPad users, the device is a companion, not a replacement, for their Mac.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
Nothing against iPads.... they are freaking amazing and if you use one for productive purposes or content viewing, good on you.

As for me, they just don't light my fire. I have the base iPad and I occasionally use it but I'll aways be a Mac guy. (IE old). 🤓
I've always had one, in 2018 I upgraded to the first generation iPad Pro. I love it but it's hard to just hold because the border is so small that I touch where I did not mean to. I ended up putting a holder on the back.

Force332

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
Still makes no sense to me. If Apple thinks OLED is the better display, it could have switched to OLED this year instead of miniLED, which was a huge investment for them.

As Apple has historically been both slow to adapt new display technologies and then doesn't move on from them very quickly when they do, I understand that this seems odd. But I think what it comes down to is keeping ProMotion going in the Pro lineup. Similar to how they waited to adopt adaptive refresh on the iPhone until they could source enough of the LTPO OLED displays for their need. Since the iPad Pros have had ProMotion (using LED backlighting) going back to 2017, they don't want to go backwards and throw in an OLED display just because it's OLED if they can't source enough of them to be adaptive. This sounds like they are aiming to be able to do so in 2 or 3 years. In the meantime, I think they implemented mini-LED as a step up to improve brightness and dynamic range while retaining ProMotion until they can produce OLED displays of this size with the adaptive ability.

My gut feeling at least.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
MiniLED is a stepping stone. It is no-one's top shelf display. Samsung don't believe in it even though it forms their flagship TVs this year under the Neo line (they buy the MiniLED panels from TCL rather than making them themselves!)

OLED for iPad is still several years away because Apple doesn't want a single stack OLED because they know it won't get that bright and may show burn-in more cealrly (and iPads are typically kept for longer than phones). OLEDs for laptops/monitors are just starting to prove themselves now and as usual, Apple will take their time and get it (mostly) right.

Reactions: Force332

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005

Apple has high standards for OLED and doesn't use off the shelf parts.

If the rumor is true, miniLED is the stopgap from 2020 - 2023 or 2024 until Apple is able to develop an OLED panel suitable for the iPad. It's not crazy since miniLED will have a 3-4 year run, improves performance from the prior model, and drives sales.

Reactions: xxray

grilledcheesesandwich

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2021
iPad-sized OLED panels don't exist at scale today. Take a look at OLED monitor prices. MicroLED remains years behind OLED in R&D.
I hope Apple doesn’t use the same OLED as iPad mini. Take your time Apple. Don’t rush it.
iPad mini uses LCD, not OLED.

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2018
As per Tim’s latest directive, doomscrolling will be automatically detected and ProMotion will reduce to 0Hz

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Agree completely. Seems to me this is a Plan B to use OLED in the event mini LED is off track in future development.

Given that Apple is asking for LG OLED to double the brightness and quadruple the longevity, I think it’s more likely this is an alternative rather than a commitment to use OLED.

iPhone 13 Pro/Max sales volumes are probably an order of magnitude greater than iPad Pro. If there is capacity to make iPhone Pro Max, there is capacity to make an OLED iPad Pro today.

Reactions: ksec

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Yeah, these rumours are all over the place. Really don't understand what's going on. Maybe they're testing out several options, since these recent articles are pointing to devices 2-3 years away.

You are correct, Apple basically confirmed that devices are planned/locked-in 2-3 years ahead of release.

However, when it comes to iPad Apple has shown little consistency.

Examples:
  • The release of iPad 4 just a couple of months after the release of iPad 3.
  • The released of iPad Pro 9.7" that was superior in many ways tech-wise to the recently released and more expensive 12.9" Pro (WTH...). [This was my first iPad, by the way].
  • The "update" of iPad Mini just to include TouchID ($100 extra) with literally the same old chip and display, just to abandon TouchID technology soon after.
  • The release of iPads with two different styluses at the same cycle.
  • The release of iPads with different connectivity/charging ports at the same cycle.
So I would not be surprised for them to be adopting OLED and then half-way through the cycle switching to MicroLED in one or two devices... just because...

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
iPad-sized OLED panels don't exist at scale today. Take a look at OLED monitor prices. MicroLED remains years behind OLED in R&D.

iPad mini uses LCD, not OLED.
MiniLED at iPad sizes didn’t exist either until apple worked with its suppliers and invested a lot of money to get there. It was a lot more work than the oled ramp-up.

Reactions: GeoStructural

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
I've always had one, in 2018 I upgraded to the first generation iPad Pro. I love it but it's hard to just hold because the border is so small that I touch where I did not mean to. I ended up putting a holder on the back.
This is why I like the older iPhone/iPad designs with a home button. Not only do you get the benefit of Touch ID, the extra blank space gives you a place to hold on.

Reactions: subi257

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
Another reason to keep my 2017 iPad Pro with pro-motion a little longer.
I want to upgrade it, but Apple does not want my money.
Only the huge iPad has that technology now?. So visionary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.