OLED iPhone 8 to Feature Curved Display and New Touch-Sensitive Technology

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 18, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's high-end OLED iPhone 8 will use a curved display rather than a flat panel and could potentially feature new touch-sensitive technology, according to a report published on Sunday.

Multiple sources have claimed Apple is planning a 5.5-inch "premium" version of its 2017 iPhone with an OLED screen alongside new models with traditional LCD displays, but today's report underlines Apple's intention to use a curved screen similar to that found in Samsung's Galaxy S7, which has been described as having the best smartphone display on the market.

[​IMG]

Previous rumors outlining Apple's intention to launch multiple iPhone models have been dogged by suggestions that it could delay adoption of OLED technology entirely due to supply constraints. Samsung is Apple's sole supplier of OLED displays in 2017, with LG and Sharp among the companies tapped to ramp up production for 2018, but the latest report indicates that limited supply may indeed shape differentiation in next year's 10th anniversary iPhone line-up.

According to the Herald, Samsung's curved OLED capacity for Apple is estimated at around 70 million to 100 million units. That's in line with previous estimates, but it's less than half of Apple's annual sales of the iPhone series, which stand at around 200 million units a year.

The paper's source goes on to state that next year's iPhone won't be foldable, but in order to set it apart from Samsung's phones it could feature new sensing technology which "enables the phone to respond when users touch any side of the device". No further details are forthcoming, but the source notes that Apple may ultimately choose not to adopt the technology.

Other rumors suggest Apple's major iPhone redesign could include wireless charging and a glass body, no physical Home button, and an edge-to-edge, bezel-free display with embedded Touch ID fingerprint sensor and camera.

Article Link: OLED iPhone 8 to Feature Curved Display and New Touch-Sensitive Technology

2. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

3. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

Edge to edge glass with no bezel or home button would be awesome.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Samsung doesn't need insider information to copy Apple's upcoming phone designs since Apple hands it to them.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

If true, I personally don't care for the curved display. But OLED would be much welcomed.

6. cardfan macrumors 65816

Doubt we see a redesign in 2017. All this will get "delayed" as usual. Expect an iphone 7S.

7. iHack13, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

iHack13 macrumors regular

iHack13

Samsung take a note. You have to wait with copying , so nobody notices.

edit: lol. Some people couldnt see the humor. Let's explain the joke(worst thing when you have to explain it , making it unfunny)

It means Apple copies Samsung this time and nobody notices because it took them long to make this decision, unlike Samsung who copies immediately. Samsung is the leader on mobile OLED Displays and they even have curved models like their edge models, since November 2014 (Note Edge).

Since its release they keep improving the curved desgin and its functionality with apps and notification bars (I personally like the Knight rider one, when your phone is layed down on the table with face down).

So I am saying again. Samsung, if you copy you have to do it Apple's way (although Apple prefers to steal , since they are great artists / quote: Steve jobs)

8. alvesik macrumors member

alvesik

Disclaimer: I own a 2016 mbp with the touch bar and think it's amazing.

But I'm pretty worried about the iPhone anniversary. It seems like Apple is throwing a shot in the dark and seeing what sticks.

9. Sunny1990, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Make no mistake: this is Apple blatantly following Samsung,but that’s no bad thing. If something’s a good idea or looks good then it’s fair game

10. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

You own a MBP with touch bar and think that they are awesome, yet you don't think this iPhone spec (if true) will be awesome??!

Is the iPhone 8 missing a touch bar?

11. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

But, will it be thin enough? The are just ll too thick now.

/sarc

12. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

13. alvesik macrumors member

alvesik

I like the idea of an all glass iPhone as much as the next person. But I do think getting rid of them is a slippery slope.

For example I think the xps is ugly as hell when looking at the screen and that camera positioning is terrible. I would pick the mbp Bezels any day. Currently, the iPhone bezels don't bother me but when I see an iPhone 4, it makes me sad.
    I hope Apple can find a reasonable compromise.

14. Berti10 macrumors regular

Berti10

Neither liking OLED or Curved-Displays. But I'll buy it anyway..

15. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

16. rudychidiac Suspended

rudychidiac

I don't like the idea of limiting new features and inventions to an even higher end iPhone... They should be available to all iPhone models. We don't need a 4th remodel of the iPhone 6 next year

17. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Considering they removed the home button and replaced it with a fake, I guess the next "logical" step is removing the volume and mute buttons. You know, to make room for the all-important touchable sides and stuff.

18. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

19. alvesik macrumors member

alvesik

Yeah the touch bar is pretty gimmicky and I could live without it, but I wouldn't want to live without, and I think i will only grow to appreciate it more.

If I wanted a curved display, I would have one by now.

20. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Still holding out hope for a ~4.7 inch screen packed into an iPhone 5 size body :)

21. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

This is Apple's solution to people holding onto their products for what they deem "too long." By naming something "Pro" they can mark up the price for no good reason, and let's face it... If you're gonna buy, you GOTTA have the latest and greatest. Those other models will barely sell at all.

After the ceramic Apple Watch was introduced, I was really hoping to see that make its way to iPhone. Oh well, maybe in a few years time...

22. nikon1 macrumors member

nikon1

I'm with you -- Waiting for my wallet to get even thinner than the iPhone 7Plus that continues to impress me.

While Samsung may be producing the OLED display, thankfully, Apple will be designing the rest of the phone.

23. xflashx macrumors regular

Am I the only one who is worried about the upcoming fragmentation? They say it's a Premium iPhone. I thought we already have premium with premium prices? I have no doubt that this version will cost at least 1000$ which will be a ridiculous price.

Sad to see ongoing fragmentation of their products.

24. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

The home button is being integrated with touch screen technology not replaced with a 'fake'. This year's model is a step closer.

Removing the switches and buttons IS logical. It will improve the water resistance. We might see this phone advertised as being able to capture photos under water.

25. breather macrumors member

breather

It looks like the iPhone 8 will have everything.
    I wanna know if it can fetch my coffe.