Oleophobic screen and crystal film set

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moviebrain, Jun 16, 2009.

1. moviebrain macrumors member

Has anyone released any information as to whether the oleophobic coating on the 3G S will affect crystal film or other similar screen protectors?

I've been keeping my eye out on the review sites and gadget blogs but since the embargo is in effect, and screen protectors not being a feature that drives page views for blogs, I don't expect to see my question answered in a front page article any time soon.

2. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

good question, do we still need to purchase screen protectors with the new coating? Should we wait for some new screen protectors to be developed.

3. mikey28 macrumors 6502

when I ordered my 32GB, I ordered crystal film. I just can't take a chance that my screen gets scratched. Because for me, that would RUIN the phone. I can live with a scratch on the back, or whatever, but the screen? no way.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

The screen is only fragile to drops or sitting on it in your back pocket. Scratch-wise its pretty resistant.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

They're a waste of money. They get all scratched up even with light use, while the iPhone's screen does not. It would make sense to get a screen protector if they were more resistant to scratches than the iPhone's screen.

6. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

i can't live without the anti-glare film set, i HATE fingerprints. I ordered one for my new phone anyways... I wish Apple Stores would have them in stock so we could go touch them and see what its like... but since they don't i'll just slap the protector on THE SECOND i take it out of the box without risking getting dust on the screen.

7. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

What protector where u using? I've had a PowerSupport Crystal Film for about 6 months with no scratches on it...

-J.-

8. moviebrain thread starter macrumors member

My first gen iPhone went completely naked for nearly 2 years, but around the 1 year mark I managed a very shallow scratch in the middle of the screen. Most times I didn't notice it except for watching iTunes TV shows and video podcasts where it would present as an inch long line of rainbow across the main focus of the show.

When it was tragically smoten after an unfortunate bounce off some ironwork and subsequent bellyflop onto concrete I got an out of warranty refurb from Apple. I could live with more scratches down the road, unlikely as it is, but $15 is a lot cheaper than the $200 for my replacement and a hell of a lot cheaper than it would be to replace the new 3G S!

9. mikey28 macrumors 6502

+1
    I was thinking the same thing...

10. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Here is the definitive word on the new 3G S oleophobic coating / screen protector / scratch resistance - IMHO :D :D

The new coating is unlikely to be as scratch resistant as the 3G naked glass screen > thus will I add the Power Support protector?

Will the adhesive properties of the Power Support (or whatever brand you use) protector harm the oleophobic coating? That is the question - think of the HORROR of peeling off the protector after 6 - 9 months to replace it ONLY to find damage / blemishes / peeling of the coating.

That is the question IMO.

11. redman042 macrumors 68020

I've had my 3G for a year with no screen protector, and there's not a single scratch on the screen. Granted I'm careful not to put anything in the same pocket as the phone, and I've never dropped it face-down. But I sure am happy to be able to use my phone without a screen protector, because the screen just looks and feels much nicer in its natural state.

I had a series of plastic-screened phones before this, and put protectors on all of them of course. But I always hated the slight distortion to the screen image, the bubbles, and the wear and tear. I don't miss any of those things.

12. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

No...I've blown so much money on those power support crystal films and even I'll admit that unless you rarely clean off the screen and never put it a pocket with abrasive objects, then it wont scratch....otherwise, mine got scratched up even from using micro fibers that were free from contaminants. I've had over 5-6 sets of this film installed because sometimes the scratch build up was enough to bother me, or my old incase slider would push a corner up too much, or there was dust trapped underneath and we all know you cant wash them or let them sit in open air for too long because they get covered with dust. I was able to get a free set or two by going into an Apple store and complaining about dust being under the film prior to installation. I've purchased 2 new sets for my 2 new 3G-S

nah, theres none of that with the power support crystal film and it feels pretty natural to the touch

13. Farfooz macrumors member

Farfooz

i bought so many anti glare screen protectors for my iPhone First gen but realized that it washes the colors out significantly, so now i use a crystal film set and deal with the fingerprints, even tho the protecter is getting scratched easily!

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Power Support Crystal Film. The anti-glare seems much more durable (although it makes the screen look like crap IMO.)

After a few months I ended up having to replace them because they made it look like my phone was all scratched up. I probably spent $45 on screen protectors for no reason. Again, the iPhone's glass screen is much more scratch resistant than a plastic film.

15. Titan12 macrumors regular

I have been using the same Anti Glare film for almost a year with no dust, scratches, or lifted corners. I've actually ordered 2 sets for the 2 phones we have on order, so needless to say I would be pretty ticked to find out that I cant used them on the new phone without messing up a coating. It seems that these accessory companies would have been able to preview the case/screen to ensure that their products were still compatible. Otherwise the phone would be released, and we would all have to wait till a new film was developed to compliment this new screen coating.

16. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

I dont think the films would mess anything up, they just might not seat right...

17. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Oh god...I hadn't even thought of that. I guess I'll wait to put the BSE on the screen. Thanks for freaking me out! lol.

18. jmeray macrumors member

jmeray

Yeah, i posted a thread on "will the olephobic screen get damaged by screen protectors" kindof thread some time ago.. i got no answers at all.
    I am going to wait until i read in the manual, whether or not it says "Screen protectors could damage the oleo coating".

19. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

I think it depends on the coating. I've seen lenses where the coating started to peel after a couple of years. Before putting anything on the screen, I'd wait for word from the manufactures.

20. cobalt135 macrumors regular

That coating is gonna wear off anyway. For example look at keyboards, touchpads and mice. After a few months of use the once textured surface becomes smooth. You really notice it with the touchpads.

21. moviebrain thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for putting the intent of my question into words Apple Corps!

22. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

You are welcome - the screen protector folks need to put some word out on this issue. I have an extra Power Support protector but will hold off installing until....

23. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

An interesting update. I just spoke to Power Support in Burbank and they "tested" their film on the oleophobic coating and see no problems with using it.

I did suggest they put some official word on their website.

24. sd13 macrumors regular

the apple store website it shows the antiglare being compatible with both 3g and 3gs and the crystal being compatible with only the 3g.

hmm....

im going to have this great phone sitting sealed in a box for a while because i dont know what to do. :confused:

25. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

this is a very nice accessory. i have it, its great.