OMG! She got me a Mac Pro! What to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Dec 25, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

What an incredible Christmas gift. A thing of beauty. Am I going to regret it if I don't exchange it for the upcoming Penryn? Will the lifespan of the Penryn be so much greater?

These things (2.66 Xeon MPs) are so reliable, quiet and beautiful. I do some video rendering and a fair amount of CS3, but most of my time is spent writing and doing the usual webstuff, iTunes, email.

She got if for me primarily to drive my ACD 30" and I must say that they make a handsome pair.

Does anybody want to talk me into returning it for a Jan. 14 purchase? Does anybody want to talk me into keeping this? It is GORGEOUS!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Don't open it.
    2. eBay (Or Apple...)

Unless you can make some money from usage before MacWorld then it might not be worth it.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

It was a gift. Be grateful, enjoy it, it will last you for years to come.

4. .myk. macrumors newbie

Sell...Unless

Unless you are a music producer, as I. Then this computer is useless.
    This MacPro is an awesome piece of technology.

This computer is used for HARDCORE graphics designers, Music recording. Or anything that demands POWER.

If you are in basic to moderate graphic designing, or simple to moderate websurfing, music, videos, and the basic needs of a computer.
    SELL.....

I do a LOT of cs3 stuff. messing around or if im creating an image. it runs AMAZING on my lowest system. my macbook.

You would be much better with an iMac, or a Macbook/Pro

Not to mention ALOT cheaper.

Anymore questions as i have a Mac Pro.
    Please contact me

-Myk

5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Return it !

Awesome gift ! I never get anything Apple related and I am such a Geek.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

The guy in the shop should have told her she was buying a product that is going to be updated real soon now.

8. taytho macrumors 6502

it was a gift.... enjoy that sucker.

more importantly : feel ridiculously lucky that 'she' has the great taste to get you a MBP.... you are a lucky man.

9. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

The ACD 30" requires dual-link DVI, and hooking up my MBP has been less than satisfactory as it whines like a jet engine when attached, and given all the connections, it winds up spending a lot less time being a portable.

I do take my photography quite seriously, and run Aperture and Photoshop quite a bit, both for prints and to incorporate into paintings.

To take your answer, given that I don't spend that much time rendering video, just keep this gorgeous beast.

Trust me, I am grateful! :)

I just want to keep it a long time and am wondering if 8-cores, something I can't even tap other than when rendering now, are going to become indespensible over the next three years as programmers start taking advantage of them.

10. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I won't sell it. The options are to return it together to Apple and wait until next month and buy the new Mac Pro or just to keep this gorgeous beast.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

That is not true. I am not a graphic designer, music producer or anything of the sort. Yet I would be bogged down by a imac. I regularly push my system behond what a imac could handle. Why? because i am a heavy multitasker. Yes i do some video editing, photo editing etc. But I would never go down from a mac pro to an imac.

12. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

K3 ;)

13. .myk. macrumors newbie

Well in that case.
    This computer is going to be a GREAT addition to your team of Mac products.

The only thing i think is wrong.
    This comp is meant to stay.
    and is in NO way portable =]

Mine weighs about....50 lbs xD

-Myk

14. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I do hope the she is a wife. Pretty heavy investment for a girlfriend. :D

15. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Yes - do that. Return it now. The machine is outdated from fall 2006. A new machine is around the corner. Still awesome gift.

16. .myk. macrumors newbie

Well what are the specs on your iMac?
    My MB with only 2 GB RAM Can run all of my multitasking needs as it is my primary Computer. It is small and light and can handle what i need it to run.
    I can stream video. Edit a video in iMovie. Burn a DVD in iDVD and still browse the internet incredibly smooth.

-Myk

17. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

No i have a mac pro and i would never go to an imac. My specs are in the sig. And for ex right now my CPU is 50-80% average between the 4 cores. And i have run out of RAM on more then one occasion.

18. .myk. macrumors newbie

If you didnt notice. the Mac Pros are way more advanced then the Mac Pro u have now. Im not sure when you got yours but it seems a little old.

My MBP has close to the same specs are your Pro.

The Pros that are out now. Come with base
    2 2.0Ghz Dual Core Processors.

And can handle multitasking with EASE

-Myk

19. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Keep in mind that you won't be able to return it 14 days from whenever she bought it without a 15% restocking fee. In other words, if you're not going to keep it, you'd better return it as quickly as possible. If you're going to keep it, out of the box and use it!

20. newtech macrumors 6502

Here's the test...Suppose you gifted her with a one carat diamond ring, then she decided to trade it for a one and quarter carat ring. what would you think and feel?

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Well, thats not the same...he still wants the MP, but thinks an upgraded version in 3 weeks would be more worth it, not that she could have bought him a better pressie...

22. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Well, it's kind of similar. She still wants the ring, but thinks an upgraded version in 3 weeks would be more worth it...etc. A gift's a gift. If you're going to return it, you're going to hurt the person who gave it to you. It's up to you to decide which is more important to you--holding out for the better deal, or accepting (and being grateful for) something someone went out of their way to get you. Yes, it sounds silly thinking about someone trading up a ring, but that's just because we don't deal in rings; this isn't WeddingRumors. To a person who doesn't deal in MPs, it looks just as silly to trade up in MPs.

23. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Since "she" is most likely the wife, I doubt she would be offended if he returned it for a few weeks and then used the money to buy the SAME computer but updated. If he explains to her how much he clearly appreciates it, but wants to make her gift last as long as it possibly can, i'm sure she'll understand that. It's not like he's returning it for something else completely, he's just making sure her gift is the most bang for the buck and any wife would probably be happy he is thinking ahead and practically :)

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Some interesting comments already made. So here's my 2 cents.

Depends on your wife:

- Not all wives are created equal.

- For some, keep it and be happy.

- For others, you can exchange it for the newer model and they will understand, but maybe not as happy if you kept what they gave you.

- For others, you can exchange it for the newer model and they will be very happy because it makes you happy.

I am sure there are other options as well concerning wives. The point being, to the OP, you know which is the best CofA because you know your wife. And if you don't, this might be a good chance to learn...possibly the hard way. :eek:

25. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I'd say keep it...
    the mac pro being a gift I think that this itself is a good reason to keep it.