Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isaac17

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
I turned mac firewall completely off, my ISP has no SSH blocking issues, and I have a normal linksys router...

Reimer

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
I turned mac firewall completely off, my ISP has no SSH blocking issues, and I have a normal linksys router...

You need to find out your LOCAL ip address. It should look something like 192.168.1.xxx (where "xxx" is whatever your router has assigned you)

fdmendez

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
Just got through my SSH problem by restoring the iPod and starting over fresh and paying careful attention to following every detail. It turns out that the login for the iPod when SFTP-ing isn't "root" but "Root" - with a capital R. Just a minor problem with the instructions.

so far, it's synching my media again and everything's lookin' ok.

isaac17

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
just got mine to work, instead of using whatismyip.com, go to Settings->wifi-> click that blue arrow next to the network you're on, and use that wifi. No capitol R for me, worked like a charm :D

jacktiernan

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Vic, Australia
How do I restore this thing?

Apparently you hold sleep and home buttons for 25secs until the itunes logo shows (like when you turned it on for the very first time) then plug it in and open itunes.

Or connect ipod to computer, go to the ipod screen in itunes and click 'restore'

Good luck :)

Dublo7

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Perth, Australia.
Do I have to hold it when it's turned off?
I keep holding Hold and Home. It turns itself off. Then the Apple logo comes up once or twice and it still won't show the ipod > itunes logo.

jacktiernan

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Vic, Australia
Do I have to hold it when it's turned off?
I keep holding Hold and Home. It turns itself off. Then the Apple logo comes up once or twice and it still won't show the ipod > itunes logo.

Got some clarification for you from another thread:

To get restore to work, Hold down the sleep and home buttons at the same time, until the screen flashes and the iPod turns off.

-RELEASE the sleep button and keep holding the home button. Wait about 15-25 seconds, and you should be able to restore through iTunes.

You MUST be plugged into iTunes this whole time!

This is confirmed to work.

Good luck!

Lin

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
France
Not picking on you, i swear, but it's funny how ipod/iphone hack pics are like ufo pics - always blurry.
lol !
Wait until I do it... I VOW you'll get razor-sharp pics :D
-but this will need one week more, time for my MacIntelPro to be delivered :eek:

Lin

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
France
Hi Jack :)

Never attempted to shave with a pillow ;) that is some idea!!!

BTW, just noted you are in Australia! Man, how the planet shrank since I was young!

seeya :)

kezza47

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
tom-kerrys-computer:~ Tom$ ssh -l root 192.168.0.187
ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.187 port 22: Connection refused

Could someone please tell what i am doing wrong, i type this in the a new terminal not the iphuc one??

It is plugged in to my machine have tried the process twice up till now on two different networks.

Any ideas?

fdmendez

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
hey man, I was getting the same error you did until someone told me that they had the same problem I did. What they recommended is that I start over fresh by restoring my iPod Touch and deleting all the used files that I, well, used.

So I restored my iPod, deleted everything I used and re-unzipped iPHUC and everything else, basically really, really starting over. Then, it just worked. It worked for the person that recommended it to me too.

Dave10492

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'm thinking of trying this process guys, any reasons anyone has come up with not to? Don't really have much knowledge in command line, and I only moved to the mac platform about a month and a half ago. Do you think i've got a fair chance of getting it to work, or should I just wait?

kezza47

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
hey man, I was getting the same error you did until someone told me that they had the same problem I did. What they recommended is that I start over fresh by restoring my iPod Touch and deleting all the used files that I, well, used.

So I restored my iPod, deleted everything I used and re-unzipped iPHUC and everything else, basically really, really starting over. Then, it just worked. It worked for the person that recommended it to me too.

Cheers mate worked just as you said, now ruuning maps,mail,weather and ical edititable version:)

jacktiernan

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Vic, Australia
I'm thinking of trying this process guys, any reasons anyone has come up with not to? Don't really have much knowledge in command line, and I only moved to the mac platform about a month and a half ago. Do you think i've got a fair chance of getting it to work, or should I just wait?

i'll let you know in about 15mins ;)

WORKING!!!

...now if only i could find mail.app and calender.app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.