One Analyst Thinks the Next iPhone Will Have a USB-C Port, Smaller Notch, and Touch ID Under Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2019.

1. k0bayashi macrumors member

Probably.

2. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

There is more to ML than Siri, which has vastly improved over the last year anyway.

3. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I think Siri has improved the past year. HomePod for one does far more than it did on launch like phone calls/calendars/timers and for what i use mine for it fits a need.

4. mcaswell macrumors regular

FaceID is impressive technology, but isn't particularly well suited for many situations I find myself in, where I need to subtly and quickly unlock my phone (without holding it up to my face). The inclusion of TouchID would make me significantly more likely to upgrade. Otherwise, I'll cling to my 8 Plus as long as possible.

5. HVDynamo macrumors 6502

I look at it... just glance over, but my face is out of range of FaceID. I don't see why this is so hard to grasp. Typically I am changing to a different album or a different podcast.

6. Kardinal1911 macrumors member

Kardinal1911

Well Newsflash.. all the other major manufacturers are going to a face biometric as well

7. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

So just pull the phone closer to you? I don't think it's as big of a deal as people make it out to be, but whatever you prefer.

8. ipponrg macrumors 6502a

“You’re using it wrong.”

FaceId doesn’t work naturally in the way you are using it. Your face generally has to be parallel to the screen and directly in front.

9. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Not accurate, as least with the XS.

10. iMEric984 macrumors regular

iMEric984

Face ID works perfectly for me. Even with sunglasses, darkness, or even looking st the device from an off angle.

Face ID is more secure. Touch ID has a 1 in 30,000 chance of being spoofed where Face ID is about 1 in a million if I remember correctly.

I would hardly call Face ID a failure. It’s more advanced than Touch ID. Even more advanced than gimmicky in screen FPS.

There are also accessibility settings that you can change so that you can activate Face ID without requiring attention.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    I agree. I can unlock looking at my phone from an off angle.