One Analyst Thinks the Next iPhone Will Have a USB-C Port, Smaller Notch, and Touch ID Under Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Grey Area, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019

Grey Area macrumors regular

...whereas Sony is returning the headphone jack again, after dropping it in 2018. Granted, Sony is a minor player in phones nowadays, so this does not exactly indicate a trend.

I think the Android phone makers are dabbling around with this a bit, testing the waters, see if they can get away with dropping it. For Android users it is easier to switch to another phone maker if they insist on the headphone jack. Maybe Sony saw that removing the jack hurt their sales - or they are just desperate and try everything...

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I hope so. At least this would allow for headphones that don't need a proprietary jack, or a dongle.

3. Chorx macrumors regular

Ah yes, of course. When everyone finally has the same definition of “iPhone cable” and cables are plentiful, let’s switch.

I think this is the first time in my life I’d prefer just a bit longer with the old standard. I personally to not want to deal with the insane headache of “this kind of usb c able is ok, this kind of charger will blow your phone up”.

I mean, what is the use case for usb c on your phone? what about lightning isn’t good enough?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'll be the first to say that faceid outperformed my expectations. I figured it would be good, but it did surprise me.

That said I'd be happy for just Touch ID and a full screen panel. I do watch quite a bit of content in landscape mode and I wouldn't mind being able to use all of that screen. Plus I haven't really found many scenarios where faceid was flat out better.

All this said, not holding my breath. I imagined myself keeping the X at least three years as is.

5. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

Can we wait until spring until we start talking about 2019 iPhones? At this point, other than better battery, smaller notch and fast charging, what the heck else can you add to a phone? The XS is already an impressive machine.

6. StaceyMJ86, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019

StaceyMJ86 macrumors 65816

StaceyMJ86

If you have attention awareness disabled, then yes you don’t have to have your eyes open to unlock your phone. I have it enabled, so my eyes have to be open to unlock my phone in the daytime and at night when it is pitch black and WHEN I AM LAYING DOWN! I wear glasses and sunglasses and have 0 issues unlocking my X even in direct sunlight.

That’s just like saying what if I was asleep and someone wanted to unlock my phone or purchase an app while I was asleep? All they would need is my fingerprint. Or what about when your hands are wet, have lotion or oil on them? What about when your fingers are dry? What about when you have on gloves?

In your opinion and many others, Touch ID is better and in my option and many others, Face ID is better. There are pros and cons to each and I wish more people would understand that.

7. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I’m lost. So you are changing to the next song or you are changing to a completely different app or something? So from an arms length away, you unlock without looking at it, then you select another app without looking at it, then you scroll down to another band or something without looking at it, and then select the song or album you want without looking at it. All because we can’t pick up the phone. Seems a bit weird/impossible to me.

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Having Touch ID under the screen would be nice as an option for desk use but i’ve Always found even when it’s unlocked i would still pick it up anyway.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What exactly would I gain from a USB-C port? One so-called "analyst" looking at keywords but without actually understanding them.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2019 ---
    They are not doomed then, since there are millions and millions and millions who can afford their phones.
    Nonsense. The charges must be exchangeable, and they are. The cables can be proprietary without any problem.

10. dilbert99 macrumors 68000

And the DJI will only get smaller.
    I think that an add on for phones would make me ditch my DSLR.

11. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

These hypothetical scenarios, while hypothetically possible, haven't seen to come to pass. But I like face id as you do. Having an option for using touch id wouldn't be horrible. But I would be very surprised if apple did an about face and included under screen touch id.

12. Derived macrumors 6502

Derived

All that’s confirmed is that this is a ridiculous, inane comment. FaceID is the most advanced facial recognition system ever put into a consumer device by a lightyear, and most likely one of the most advanced ever. Calling it a “rush job” is beyond silly. Fingerprint recognition under the glass has been something that’s been worked on for years...if it’s not ready, it’s not ready. Unless you’ve invented in your garage, I don’t see how this is a relevant point at all.

13. iMEric984 macrumors regular

iMEric984

Didn’t Sammy already remove it from one of their mid tier phones??? A9??

14. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Yes

15. Pistol Peto macrumors member

Pistol Peto

How is it confirmed exactly?

16. Mrjoedot macrumors regular

17. TracesOfArsenic macrumors member

TracesOfArsenic

No feature since the 6 has given me reason to upgrade, in fact it's been the opposite. There have been more reasons to stay with the phone I've got, and that makes me sad because I want to be excited about Apple's hardware.

Life was much easier when I could brag about Apple hardware (and software!).

18. Patolino macrumors member

Patolino

I hope they remove the rare and expansive himalayan unicorn kitten fur from the ingredients, so the price can be slashed in half for the top model. Having to sell a kidney to buy an entry level iPhone, iPad, Mac or other Apple device, is why sales are down.

19. Tech198 macrumors G5

No one will leave the thing for dead will they... But Touch ID under the screen *might* be a reality someday, just not as quick as most would like it to be.

If Apple could have done it, they would have, instead of calling it 'quits'. I would reckon Apple has not given up on it at all. As there pretty good at coming back to the table with these things.

20. nStyle macrumors 65816

When has Apple gave a damn how much its existing user base cared about the continual existence of port (ahem, headphone jack)?

They continue to prefer Lightning on iPhone because they get licensing fees from third parties. They wouldn't get anything from USB-C. That's literally the only reason they're clinging on for dear life to Lightning because USB-C is the obvious choice.

Also six years for a port is a pretty good run. You can't be mad when you buy a new phone that you might have to replace a few cables.

21. Tech198 macrumors G5

I disagree to a point. Apple does care abut more money, but they also care behind being left behind as well. Why do you think Apple reacts to putting new things on iPhone because either its the first ones to show others how its done, or it follows others. (They ma have not been he first ones to remove headphone jack, but *did* it eventually)

It Apple only cared abut money as the only thing they'd be less need to be for a change. But both i reckon go hand in hand.

22. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Wrong ingredient. It's actually the blood of chocolate lab puppies that makes the products very expensive.

23. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Why would USB-C get you to upgrade? Fast charging will not likely get iPhones on par with so many android phones. We’ll still have 10W charging.

Wireless charging is slightly faster for 8/X/XS models.

Or do think tossing or giving up all your lightning cables will be worth it?
    Yo do know a 90’s movie with one of the Wayans brothers was done to help ya say it right.

Mo’ Money, Mo’ Money, and .... Mo’ Money!
    If that’s all you need buy an older iPhone: 6S maybe?

24. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

If there is one company that stinks at AI, Machine Learning right now, its Apple.