One Analyst Thinks the Next iPhone Will Have a USB-C Port, Smaller Notch, and Touch ID Under Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2019.

1. jerryk macrumors 601

According to 9 to 5 mac, Apple makes about 70% profit on a base iPhone X, and even more on larger memory units. So yes, they have the room.

Until they have another large margin line Apple income will be dependent on the iPhone. And right now that means their sales numbers are down because the price are too high. This is especially true when you look at more price sensitive markets like China and India, which home to 1.3 and 1.4 billion consumers receptively.

2. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I highly doubt they have a 70% margin on the base iPhone X.

3. NetMage macrumors member

4. McG2k1 macrumors regular

I’ve enjoyed my time with the iPhone and as an owner since the original I’ll miss it when I move on. That’ll be next year when my X starts exhibiting signs of battery fatigue. I’ll stick with them if they return to some kind of fingerprint sensor, otherwise I’m out. FaceID is just too inconvenient.

5. 19callum93 macrumors regular

19callum93

All I want is a flush camera, but I know we won’t be getting that :(

6. Grey Area macrumors regular

I would love to see a return of TouchID, but still I have to wonder - isn't it even more troublesome in the medical field, what with people wearing rubber gloves?

Sorry, that may be a stupid question, as it is not my field at all. Still, I can imagine there are a lot of professions where gloves are common place, more so than masks, and hence something like FaceID might be better. E.g. rugged industrial tablet manufacturers like Panasonic usually tout their screens as capable of working with gloves.

7. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

Agree with the Macrumors article analysis here.

I think that the iPhone is more likely to be like the Watch in a few years ie no ports and almost completely sealed. So I think that lightening will stick around until then.

I can’t see why Touch ID would come back. Apple obviously believes that Face ID is better and the future.

Yes, I can see the Face ID unit getting smaller, but alongside that I can see the panel displays getting easier to manufacture and to replace - and putting Touch ID into the middle of them is not going to help with that.

Well, they’ll be cheaper until Apple works out how to put the Face ID unit under the display...

8. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

But I started seeing foldable innovation in the Android world already. All these 2018 stuff, in display touch ID, face ID, USB-C.... May be not much innovations left.

9. Substance90 macrumors 6502

10. Shiro_Simba Suspended

Shiro_Simba

2 people is a line. 300 is lame for an iPhone launch if you must know .

I was referring to the phenomenon that became iPhone launches . Cause if you are going reference success by lining up to get an iPhone , it’s not the original , try iPhone 4 onwards

11. Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

It won’t actually bother me. I can’t wait to get a new phone and have wireless.

12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Huh? Samsung doesn’t have it yet and 6T only just got it late last year

13. ksec macrumors 6502

Well he did at one point said 2019 will be three model and more of the same very early on. That is what worries me because more of the same isn't good enough.

14. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

And so was 2018, 2017, 2016. Oh right, the s10 is the paragon of innovation, which is more of the same.

15. absynth macrumors regular

This doesnt point to smaller faceID but to a smaller XR phone without the face ID.

People seem to forget the 5.7" screen was about the smallest size screen they could make with the notch, which is identical on al devices. So for a smaller screen they need to remove faceID and replace with under screen touchID.

I think it's highly likely the new line up will be:
    $650 XR ~5.3"
    $750 XR max 6.1" (the old XR rebadged)
    $900 XS
    $1000 XS max

16. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I don’t particularly see an advanatage of a phone being unlocked prior to me looking at it. Once I look at my phone, which is kind of the whole point, it’s unlocked without thinking about it. I don’t have to feel in my pocket for where to put my finger, I don’t have to look at my phone to identify where to place my finger on the screen, it’s just unlocked. Without thinking about it at all. That is a better solution in my eyes and apparently Apple thinks so as well. They wouldn’t reverse course at this point because there is no reason to. Face ID is already better and will only get better in the future. Plus, authentication options within the OS are better as well.

17. iMEric984 macrumors regular

iMEric984

Are you and your colleagues checking your phone during surgeries??? Do you wear a mask 24/7???

Wouldn’t gloves render Touch ID pretty much useless??

18. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Is love to consolidate cables for travel. If future Macs and iPads are USB-C, my Switch is USB-C, I don’t want my iPhone requiring its own lightning cable...

19. HVDynamo macrumors 6502

That would be an instant buy from me.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2019 ---
    There are plenty of reasons. There are many use cases that don't involve people looking right at the phone when wanting to unlock it that touchID is superior at. For instance, I leave my cell phone laying face up on my desk at work and a bit off to the side. I listen to music or podcasts a lot while I work, and when I want to change them to something different I just reach over and unlock with touchID (my face isn't in range of FaceID typically) and make the change. Another case is while in bed. I'm not saying FaceID is bad, there certainly are instances where it is faster and works better, but there are drawbacks too, and TouchID just happens to fit my use case better, so for me it's the superior solution if I had to pick one. Having both, on the other hand would allow everyone to enjoy the benefits of both.

20. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Yep. I see Touch ID replacing Face ID when I see 3.5mm jack returning to iPhone. Not saying Touch ID won’t return under display as a second option but Face ID is just too good to go away.

21. jerryk macrumors 601

The 3.5 mm jack should never have left. Its removal was a way to increase sells of Airpods. Their excuse that it was done for waterproofing is disproved each time a Samsung or other phone with waterproofing and a jack is sold.

22. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Linking the headphone jack departure and sales of airpods is another variation of planned obsolescence. I don't buy it. Airpods seem to be a popular product due to their form and function.

23. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

And Samsung are set to remove theirs this year

24. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

This is an interesting point - I didn't think about the notch forcing the iPhone to be bigger.

I'd LOVE to see a smaller phone again, and don't give a crap about face id.

25. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

So glad it left and can never go back to wires again. One thing I will never ever miss. Airpods? One of the best Apple products in the last 2 years.