Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
One handed texting does not mean you hold the phone in one hand and text with the other.

Thanks for clarifying :rolleyes:

I know what it means, and it isn't an issue.

IMG_20140919_155224.jpg

Kaenon

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
5'10 1/2" and I can one-handed text on my HTC One M8 just fine.

Haven't tried an i6/i6+ yet...

nsense

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I work in downtown Chicago. I get off the train in Union Station and walk about 1.1 miles to work by Trump bldg.

I see a LOT of women and men.. walking with one hand on iPhone and another holding coffee. Women with large tote bags too.

We all walk on a fast pace. The people I see holding Notes or S5, walking.. sometime have to pause and do a 2-handed text or email b/c of the size.

I saw a man drop his Note, while walking and texting.

others wearing backpacks and satchel bags over their shoulders can do 2 handed text/email while walking fast.

CoyoteRidge

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Sure you can use Bigfoot with one hand. Sooner or later though, Bigfoot will tumble right out of your hand and splatter all over the floor and walls. BIGFOOT IS TOO BIG FOR SINGLE HANDED USE. UNDERSTAND???

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Is that the new standard measure? If so, then mine is 9" so I should be good to go once it gets delivered....in October.

No idea :p

But it gives a good indicator of how large your hands are. Above 8" or so should be fine for texting one handed - it is a monster though, so you can forget about reaching the top of the screen unless you're using Reachability.

I, too, am waiting for mine to come in October. I've used my iPhone 5 for 24 months, another month can't hurt!

rockhopper353

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
One handed texting on +

Got biggish hands I'm 6' 2' and I can't really manage it, maybe easier when I've got a case on it as its a slippery bugger especially when your stretching your fingers around to grip it. Also finding that the charging port on the bottom is making my little finger quite sore as it supports the phone when using one handed, think a case will help here as well, certainly wouldn't trust myself to attempt to text one handed when walking as I'm sure I'd lose my grip and spill it !

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm a 6'1'' extremely well-endowed male who's at work right now. I'll be able to handle my 6+ with ease once I get home and open it.

Kohkane

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
I use to have the Note 3 and I had no issues with one handed texting. I used swiftkey for the keyboard which helped, and I'm a 5'9 male with smallish hands.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

View attachment 494022

Gripping the phone like that will not allow me to reach the right side keys (L, M, Delete, and Return) easily; I found the the phone needed to sit further to the left to make texting smooth. What I noticed was that when texting quickly the phone wobbled as I moved my thumb around. Since my fingers sit so low on the phone there is very little to support to top which makes it feel even more unstable.

Its quite possible that you have longer fingers than me.

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010

attachment.php

View attachment 494022

OK this picture of iJen holding her phone and texting just explained the difference to me between the cans and can'ts (text one handed). If you lay the phone in your hand and don't actually grip the other side like iJen is doing above, almost anyone should be able to text one handed. It's when you grip the other side of the phone with your pinkie/ring/middle fingers (like Yezzi in doing his 3rd pic) that it become impossible to reach across the phone with your thumb.

So it has to do with texting / grip style. I guess I'm used to always having a firm grip on the phone. With my 5S if you gave me a shove while I was one handed texting the phone would not go anywhere. Bumps in the car, people on the street - it wouldn't matter. Crap I drop the phone enough to not be walking around with it laying unsecured on top of my fingers. But maybe I need to get used to that. But I'm betting this is the difference in all these people saying they can and can't do this?

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
Gripping the phone like that will not allow me to reach the right side keys (L, M, Delete, and Return) easily; I found the the phone needed to sit further to the left to make texting smooth. What I noticed was that when texting quickly the phone wobbled as I moved my thumb around. Since my fingers sit so low on the phone there is very little to support to top which makes it feel even more unstable.

Its quite possible that you have longer fingers than me.

Hmm. I don't notice the wobble, so finger length is surely another variable.

----------

iJen that is awesome. Where does one find such a bad ass thing?

Thanks! I think I got them on eBay a year or so ago. It's fun when people notice them :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.