One month after, it's still a terrible machine.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ihatetoregister, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ihatetoregister macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

Disclaimer : This is a rant. If you love your machine, don't read, don't comment, don't troll (you know who you are).

Look at it. Look a those adapters.
    It's ****.

It looks even more ridiculous with a USB stick on the "long" adapter. If you accept that or think it's ok in anyway, you'd be happy to buy a turd painted golden and labelled Apple.
    Actually I'm sure the people happy with that idiotic situation would have been happy with anything regardless : identical set of port as for the 2015, no jack for the headphones, or even just two USB-c and nothing else.
    Why do I mention this ? Well i think it's part of the problem. From the moment people are happy to buy literally ****ing anything, then you get crappy products like this one.

Not only it looks ugly and it's impractical, but it's infuriating too :
    Since USB-C can be in either direction, it means that the adapter will also be in either directions, which means you have to do the "guess game" when plugging in your usb stick because maybe facing down is the right direction.
    Ridiculous.

Battery is super weak, I still get 3h/3hour30 max of use. And that's with the non-intensive use. And yes, this time it's with the external screen not connected so no excuse.

Speaking of screen, quite oftenwhen the mac goes to sleep, to re-enable the display I have to turn on / off the display several time, and unplug it and replug it. like, 4-6 times. until somehow it works.
    It's so annoying.

While I got used to the terrible keyboard, still when going back to a normal one I remember how much I miss my old keyboard.

Touchbar is in the way. I really waited to see if I'd use it and if it brings anything to the table, but more often than not it's buggy ( clicking on luminosity / sound icons don't do anything for instance) and I find the virtual buttons completely useless (like really, you're going to use those to confirm / cancel , rather than the enter key or tab / arrows ?! ), it's overall useless and in the way rather than bringing anything.

I hate not being able to plug my iPhone 7 to charge if I forgot my adapter at home. I ****ing hate it.

I hate I don't have a magsafe so I have to rely on a frankly ****** battery life when I'm in the living room because I have a dog and a toddler and they already almost took it down twice.

This adds to the other things I didn't like with this iteration: old processor, limited ram (granted I only need 16gb ... or do I ?), unimpressive screen and screen resolution, idiotic limitation on 4k due to adapter ...

With macOS crashing a couple of times last week, it looks like everything is pushing me to leave this and go for a Linux / Windows combo. And man, I really do not like Windows.

This maxed out 13" is a 4060$ piece of garbage, and I really don't recommend it to anyone.
    Oh, it's pretty, so you can flatter your ego and display your wealth in coffee shops.

</rant>

Attached Files:

2. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I love lamp.

3. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

4. Iceteamm macrumors newbie

5. eroslws macrumors 6502

My issue is with the software. It's a piece of crap and this is with a clean install. It's every clear they were focused on gimmicks and reminds of me the ******** that was iOS 7 before 8, 9, and 10 came to clean up the mess. However it's still the best OS on the best laptop, so all I can do is wait. :/

6. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

I learned my lesson with my Mac Book Pro now around four years old, as it is really very useless compared to my Windows computers.
    So am not shocked finding out others are not happy with the new Mac books.

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Yet I love mine. It replaced a Mac Pro and is doing a great job of that AND I use it as a PC for my race car data analysis software. It works better as a PC than the Lenovo my wife uses for work. Versatile, practical, powerful, and well made. I couldn't be happier! Two sides of the same coin......

8. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

I really don't get a point of such pointless threads. Just return it/sell it if you are not happy.

I am not sharing your point of view and 'problems'. Especially battery and exaggerated USB-C 'problem' - ("same song" of most first reviewers).

*I drink best coffee at home, hate Starbucks. No apple fanboy just happy and satisfied user.

9. ihatetoregister thread starter macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

Simply, circumstances. I started a new job, had my own mbp but couldn't keep it ( I'm working in finance, they're very touchy about machines and ownership obviously ), requested this one because I needed power and portability.
    I can't switch to Windows / linux without a serious dose of adaptation and time (need to renew all the tools), and since I'm starting the job it's time I don't have.

Ditto, the OS is the best around. Although it's been stagnating a bit (and crashing every now and then, while it never happened before).
    My hope is that Microsoft is working on a new OS. I think the Ubuntu experiement is a sign of this. I hope.

I was more or less happy with them. Tired of Apple peddling old hardware, like the USB 2 we have for 2,5 years while the rest of the laptops were on USB3, HDMI which took ages to arrive (and is now gone...) . I give those examples often but they're pretty good. But happy about true innovation : Battery life, Retina screen, touchpad quality and best OS around.
    But now, I'm just plain and simple disappointed.

I imagine you got the 15" ? Or is the Mac Pro so old that it's actually a bump in perf ? :)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2017 ---
    Then you clearly didn't read the very first sentence. It's easy though, it's the first sentence.

I can't.

Exagerrated for you. I think it's a piece of ****, a stupid decision and I hate those adapters, the display issue it might cause, the flip around game . It's ugly, it's unpractical, and it lowers the output in HDMI. It's pure ****.
    But good on you if you don't care, really.

10. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

Ok, why not get the 2015 model then if this one is making you so unhappy?

11. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

I don't know how much sunlight you are getting there but don't be so gloomy and try not to spread it - you will find followers though.

If you want apple users to refrain from commenting on their forum - oh boy you have it wrong. Go and share your opinions @ Dell/Microsoft forums (there are lots of sales personel from competing manufactures here though they will gladly chime in).

12. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I think much of your frustration could have been alleviated by doing more research prior to purchase. Just a thought for the future.

13. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Everyone should put their systems in their signature...mine is!

Yes, I got the 15" and it replaced a 2008 Mac Pro. But, the max 15" is close to to the current max iMac in performance.

I am using macOS Sierra 10.12.3 Beta 4 too.

14. Username Here macrumors member

I was able to return it....and did. Ordered a 2015, with a week and a half wait...

15. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Such suffering and whining , you must be a joy to work with. Hope your rants give you a happy ending. Right to rant.... right to troll... yeah that's Macrumors.

16. aristobrat macrumors G5

Even if you didn't have adapters, plugging all of those wires directly into your MacBook Pro would still look ugly and be a pain in the ass.

Seriously, every time you come and go from that desk, you have to unplug the power, then unplug the external hard drive, then unplug the HDMI cable, and THEN unplug whatever that extra cable is?!

Get an inexpensive USB-C dock and be done with it. One cable between the dock and your MacBook Pro. Lets you do some proper cable management.

17. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

Awesome rant!

18. ihatetoregister thread starter macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

I would have to return this one, get another, reinstall etc. This will take time, also my job has been quite col accommodating for a 4060$ machine, it feels a bit bad to bother them further.
    But yeah if only for the battery life and not having adapters, I wish I had that :-/

Hey dude you were the one wondering why people make threads like this, I just told you to read the first sentence, it's a rant, it's made to vent, it's a catharsis.
    No need to take a condescending tone or be ****** about it.

I have nothing to do on a Dell or Microsoft forum, I don't use their products although I used to use Microsoft 10 years ago before I switched for good.
    But hey, given how much of a turd this is, I might switch back ;)

I read that a few times in other topics, I'm 100% sure you're American because as most Americans you don't realize there is a world out there and it's not USA :)
    Point is : Not everywhere as Apple stores and quick deliveries. Those where only available online ( might still be actually ) in Norway. Long delivery time ( and I ordered right away ).
    As mentioned earlier, it was for my work so I couldn't exactly just return it, get another etc . Expenses reimbursement hell amongst other things, and I just started there.

Also, I honestly didn't think it would be that crappy. I'm used to disappointment on Apple machine, because they're always peddling crap hardware in order to get more margins. I just didn't think it would be that bad.

Ah right, I should have looked :p
    I guess the 15" has more power for the buck, also the battery life isn't as crappy I imagine. I carry my laptop everywhere, not just home and work but also a few other remote location, so 13" is a great size for me.

Previous 13" was the mid-range in the 2015 model, it was okay-ish , I guess my mistake was to not have 16GB.

The one before was the maxed out 2013 13" model and it was a beast. Much better battery than current one.

And you must be such a great individual to have as a friend or a colleague, belittling and looking down upon everyone not sharing your point of view. :rolleyes:

That's actually a good point, and you can't possibly know, but in Norway there was (is ?) exactly only one USB-C "dock" , an expensive one btw, and it's on the picture :)
    (yes I'm talking about the 80$ ******** hdmi / usb thingy)

I'm hoping the Belkin one will solve my cable management... at home.

Because on the go, I will still have those problems.

On a side note, I'm not particularly happy to invest YET again more money in more adapter...
    Thanks man I'm trying ! :)

19. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

So you ask people not to troll a post that screams troll? You didn't come to have a legitimate debate. You came to start a flame thread.

Enjoy.

20. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Having spent 12 years in the US Navy, traveling to several continents, steering a Fast Frigate through the Strait of Magellan, participating in UNITAS and crossing the equator, I'm well aware that there is a world out there.

I'm also well aware of the possibility of doing proper research without ever visiting an Apple Store - I've been doing research prior to purchasing Apple products since 2012 and I've never been inside an Apple Store. Forums, tutorials, reviews, unboxing videos, news articles.. there is a wealth of information available, you just need to look for it.

You're making excuses in order to justify your rant.

21. ihatetoregister, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

ihatetoregister thread starter macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

And just as I was done with my post, I opened a yutube video (awesome one, btw ) , put it in fullscreen on the external screen annnnd crash.
    *sigh*

This is a rant, it's done to vent, to release, to have some catharsis. It's not really a debate. If others want to join (for or against) it's fine.

Trolls are trolls. A person telling me they like their own and I don't know anything about macs / I am wrong are NOT trolls. It's fine. Thank God people think different, you know ? :D

A troll will be, for instance (referencing other threads), someone who doesn't understand CPU benchmarking and pretend there was no Kaby Lake that could have worked in the 13", or doesn't understand TDP/battery capacity, even when given links and example (that he doesn't read because he feeds on, well, being a troll). I'm thinking of a particular one that I see on most posts in the forum, hence the "you know who you are".
    That I think is pathetic and wrong.
    For the rest, people can think I'm an idiot to not see the beauty of dealing with adapters so in 4 years you can be happy when most people's hardware is on USB-C (that is, if it actually becomes the de-facto format... ) , for instance ;)

22. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

Thank you for your service. I like real men <3
    Do you have an pick for a nice dock? It can be in the 200-300 & price range. Thx :)

23. macmee Suspended

macmee

Good god man. The first sentence of his post reads:

> #1 Disclaimer : This is a rant. If you love your machine, don't read, don't comment, don't troll (you know who you are).

So instead of being kind of a jerk to the OP for sharing his opinion, why don't you roll it back abit and be nice?

I have no idea why you thought that was an appropriate thing to post.......

24. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

The 2016 15" isn't that much larger than the 2015 13" and only weighs .25 kgs more. It's actually .25 cm thinner too. It's only 3.56 cm wider and 2.18 cm deeper. Having that 15.4 display in such as small package is awesome!

25. ihatetoregister thread starter macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

And still, you're American because you don't realize there are no Apple Store, no immediate availability, limited stocks and so on in other countries.
    You don't test a keyboard by reading a review. You don't know the battery life until you try. You don't know how annoyig the adapters, or how much of a failure they are (ref the sleep issue, the flip around game, the 30Hz limitation), until you lived with it.
    I ordered the Mac right away, because I needed a machine at work to replace my personal (which was tolerated for a short time). For this I had to order right away, and then wait for a while.
    Then while you might not know, be aware that in some cases it's hard to return a machine (which is my case, since my work got it for me).

And yet, in the places where you're supposed to find the best informations, you still have the illuminated zombies who would adore whatever - and I mean whatever is thrown at them because of brand cult.
    I mean I read there and elsewhere people defending the fact Apple didn't include the power extension cable. Let's pause for a second here and re-read that again : People defending not shipping the power extension cable. What. The. ****.
    Same for magsafe, of for battery life, with arguments (once you dig) that revolve around "oh I don't need more battery" "My outlet is close to my laptop why would I care" or "magsafe was **** that didn't work" (what ?! Also authentic, it's a thread on this forum).
    At this point, even if I could have (and again, I couldn't, since i had to order right away if I hoped to have it in a non-unreasonable delay), I can't say the information is always pertinent.

Not to mention there are many people, the brand cultists, who try to shut the dissending voices. Not sure why, maybe i'mweird but even for product I love (say, my wonderful OLED TV ) it's good if there are people discontent with something because maybe the manufacturer will make an even better product next time.

... What ? That makes 0 sense. It's a rant. By definition you don't need an excuse, you just..rant :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.