Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
My understanding is that it’s down to hardware’s support for HLG which is how the BBC stream 4K

It's not HLG support causing it. The BBC support page says HLG gives the best effect, implying that 4k resolution can be streamed without HDR if the streaming device doesn't support HLG.

From another recent thread, someone contributed this:

Right now the BBC uses MPEG-DASH for their 4K streaming which is not supported on tvOS/iOS.

Looking into it some more, Apple has their own adaptive streaming system HLS built into their OS. This is like VP9 support all over again!

Read more here: https://bitmovin.com/mpeg-dash-browser-support-device-compatibility/ and here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/about-bbc-sounds-and-our-policies/hls-hds-mpeg

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
It's not HLG support causing it. The BBC support page says HLG gives the best effect, implying that 4k resolution can be streamed without HDR if the streaming device doesn't support HLG.

From another recent thread, someone contributed this:

Right now the BBC uses MPEG-DASH for their 4K streaming which is not supported on tvOS/iOS.

Looking into it some more, Apple has their own adaptive streaming system HLS built into their OS. This is like VP9 support all over again!

Read more here: https://bitmovin.com/mpeg-dash-browser-support-device-compatibility/ and here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/about-bbc-sounds-and-our-policies/hls-hds-mpeg
I understood DASH to just be the format/profile for transport over IPTV systems , in that it can contain many things, SD, HD or whatever including versions of HDR. HLG HDR is best suited to live as I understand it, BBC technical department are usually hot on this and it is HLG version of HDR that trips up the ATV (there will be a white paper on it somewhere will have all the parameters including audio formats, read it some years ago now). At least was my understanding. It get messy delivering non HDR versions along side HDR versions on live stuff.

I assume ITV have to encode to the same standards set.

However ITV have delivered major spring events in SD in the past, they need to hit the output feeding the devices knowing it will work. I get the impression they are more worried that Love Island does well and sports are an add on meh.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Yep this was a pain, ended up watching it on my iPad...

Honestly BBC is superior, so I was very disappointed to see ITV was covering the game. Luckily the final is covered on BBC, for UHD goodness.
That UHD goodness not available through iPlayer on Apple TV of course..

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Yep. Very frustrating. I watched the first half on ITV Hub app on my tv but had to give up at the start of the second half and watch it on my iPad.

Originally thought it might have been something to do with running the tvOS 15 beta on my tv but having read this article it seems like it was nothing to do with that and affected many people.
Here’s a tip , download the STV app for itv coverage in HD. It’s free, all you need is a Scottish postcode while signing up.

Reactions: kiranmk2

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
All made worse by the fact the app doesn’t allow you to AirPlay to another device, as the iOS all was working fine.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
All made worse by the fact the app doesn’t allow you to AirPlay to another device, as the iOS all was working fine.

What's frustrating with ITV hub is you cannot watch live TV on most platforms. You can on iOS and desktop, but cannot AirPlay it, but you can watch live on the AppleTV app. The app on my PS5 and on my LG CX doesn't allow you to watch live.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
It’s pretty clear, you can’t read.

“Of course it does, don’t be so stupid. Unless it’s owned by the British government/general public, then it’s privatized.”

edit: all my edits are marked as such, again posting troll crap.
You wrote that in reply to my saying that adverts are not exclusively shown on privatised tv stations.

I said, as an example, that Channel Four is a publicly owned tv channel with adverts, so therefore it’s clear it doesn’t matter who the owner is in relation to whether it runs adverts or not. Public or private, either can and do run adverts.

You called me stupid and ever since have been trying to suggest the same saying I ‘can’t read’ and ‘it’s not about channel four so therefore I’m trolling’ etc.

The problem, though, is that I was debunking your assumption that just becuase it’s publicly owned doesn’t mean it can’t have adverts. I used channel four as and example of a public British tv channel showing adverts. It fits nicely in a conversation about any British telly as at the moment the is a massive discussion in the UK about the government trying to privatised the channel. This is to what the op you originally responded to was referring

Here look- it’s very clear, even with your edits.

Me: “[when showing adverts]…makes no difference who owns them”

You: “Of course it does don’t be stupid…”

4DE4525C-3289-4898-B610-93F2F52D70B1.jpeg

But, you know - it doesn’t make a difference.
The bbc which is, publicly owned doesn’t show adverts but has a license fee.
ITV and Channel 5 do show adverts and are privately owned.
Channel Four is publicly owned and does show adverts.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
What, did they miss Sterling dive and the team take the lead on a terrible penalty call with no contact? That’s ok, they’ve already seen their team enjoy an unfair home field advantage throughout and zero competition on their side of the bracket.
/s

tonyhrx

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2021
Err actually the BBC iPlayer app also bugs out. Streaming stops and then the stream is repaced by another BBC channel. Not good.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I understood DASH to just be the format/profile for transport over IPTV systems , in that it can contain many things, SD, HD or whatever including versions of HDR. HLG HDR is best suited to live as I understand it, BBC technical department are usually hot on this and it is HLG version of HDR that trips up the ATV (there will be a white paper on it somewhere will have all the parameters including audio formats, read it some years ago now). At least was my understanding. It get messy delivering non HDR versions along side HDR versions on live stuff.

I assume ITV have to encode to the same standards set.

However ITV have delivered major spring events in SD in the past, they need to hit the output feeding the devices knowing it will work. I get the impression they are more worried that Love Island does well and sports are an add on meh.
Yes - DASH is the delivery mechanism which is free. Apple has chosen not to support MPEG-DASH on its devices and go with it's own HLS mechanism. HLG was designed for live TV as you say. In particular I believe is is designed for 'instant' HDR grading for minimal broadcast delay and for enabling a single stream to work with non-HDR/HLG devices and HLG-compatible devices. As such, the Apple TV not supporting HLG should not be an issue as an HLG feed should just display in SDR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.