OnePlus Again Pokes Fun at Apple's Headphone Jack Removal During OnePlus 6 Announcement

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

OnePlus today announced the launch of its latest flagship phone, the OnePlus 6, and the company couldn't resist taking yet another jab at Apple and its decision to remove the headphone jack from its flagship iPhones.

During the event, OnePlus introduced new $69 OnePlus Bullets Wireless headphones that are shipping alongside the new OnePlus 6. "Just one thing though. I wonder. If you can connect your earphones using Bluetooth, you don't need a headphone jack anymore, do you?" said Carl Pei, OnePlus co-founder.

Pei's headphone jack joke starts at 1:14:00​

Pei was making a joke at Apple's expense, as despite the inclusion of Bluetooth headphones with the OnePlus 6, it continues to include a headphone jack. "And yes, there's still a headphone jack," Pei said during the unveiling of the OnePlus 6.

[​IMG]

OnePlus made a similar joke on stage last year, after Apple eliminated the headphone jack from the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, a move that proved to be unpopular with some customers despite the introduction of the AirPods.
    Design wise, though it includes a headphone jack, the new OnePlus 6 takes other design cues from the iPhone X, like many Android smartphones this year. It features a 6.28-inch AMOLED display with minimal bezels and a notch at the top to house the front-facing 16-megapixel camera, along with a glass body. There are two vertically positioned cameras at the rear of the device.

[​IMG]

Inside, the OnePlus 6 sports a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor, 6GB to 8GB RAM, and a minimum of 64GB of storage. It comes with facial recognition capabilities, which the company says uses more than 100 identifiers for security purposes, and it also features a fingerprint sensor at the back. Other features include support for dual SIM cards, fast charging, rain resistance, and the ability to run the latest versions of Android, including the current Android P beta.

[​IMG]

Pricing on the OnePlus 6, which launches on May 22, starts at $529. The device is available in several colors, including Mirror Black, Midnight Black, and Silk White. The OnePlus Bullets will be available on June 5 for $69.

Article Link: OnePlus Again Pokes Fun at Apple's Headphone Jack Removal During OnePlus 6 Announcement

2. sc0rch3d macrumors newbie

sc0rch3d

unless you've been living under a rock, OP is "pure Android" done correctly. Google with pure android is a great experience but not awesome. OP has skinned pure Android to give you a much better user experience in standby, performance, and overall battery life

3. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

Still one of the stupidest decisions Apple has made-along with getting rid of Magsafe.

4. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Oneplus 6. So the unlock screen will have a giant 7?

5. swagi macrumors 6502a

Since using Bose Bluetooth Headphones - a once in many years investment - I came to the conclusion that a headphone jack really is obsolete.

6. enmanuelrrr macrumors member

And the no headphone jack jokes continues... They wish they could sell as many phones as Apple...

7. csurfr macrumors 68000

8. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Are you saying "courage" is just another form of stupidity? It is.

9. itsmilo macrumors 68000

itsmilo

In an alternative universe, Apple is shipping a 999 Euro iPhone XS Plus with 128 GB and AirPods and fast charging included

10. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

Why would any design department be dumb enough to purposely follow apple with that stupid notch design?

11. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

"Did you hear what Oneplus said about you guys?-Reporter
    "Who?"-Apple

12. LordVic macrumors 601

Courage. the act of doing something stupid while hoping for a good outcome.

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Making fun of Apple in keynotes is still a thing? At what point does it say more about the company poking fun than it does Apple?

14. jacobh101 macrumors regular

cool joke, bro...Apple revenues every 5 days exceeds One Plus' annual global revenues.

15. csurfr macrumors 68000

Say what you want, but the next version of android has been designed with the notch in mind. . .

16. Act3, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018

Act3 macrumors 68000

as thin and about same weight as the X yet still has the jack and water resistant

17. robbieleffel macrumors newbie

robbieleffel

I had to flip my phone over when I read the headline because I hadn’t even thought of a jack since I got my new phone. There wasn’t one there but obviously I don’t need it!

18. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

And there goes the new iPhone signature: the notch. Now every Android looks the same as the iPhone (again)...

19. itsmilo macrumors 68000

itsmilo

There is this other one by Huawei (?) that has a notch yet still a bezel at the bottom!

20. nutmac macrumors 68040

In retrospect, I think notch is a good design. Yes, it looks funky in landscape. But you are gaining extra display area. And at least on Android, the display area around the notch can be turned off.

I suspect in few years, a majority of the phones will have a notch (unless they can make camera and other sensors much smaller or place them behind the screen).

21. LordVic macrumors 601

about the same thing when Apple poked fun at others.

it's just bad advertising for any company regardless of whose doing it. your products should stand on their own without the need to attack the competition directly.

"one does not make themselves taller by cutting off the feet of others"

22. Substance90 macrumors regular

So? How does that make the removal of the headphone jack any less stupid? That's the single thing I absolutely hate about my iPhone 7.

23. Millah macrumors 6502a

The joke is certainly on them. I bet they mocked the iPhone X notch last year too.

Now they’re swallowing their dignity with a copycat notch that looks like Samsung and Apple had a baby devoid of any imagination whatsoever. It literally looks like a Galaxy and iPhone X.

“Just merge the two most popular phones and we’ve got ourselves a winner winner chicken dinner!”

24. enmanuelrrr, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018

enmanuelrrr macrumors member

What does the weight and thinness has to do with a headphone jack and water resistance? And iPhone's are water resistant, not waterproof...