OnLeaks Shares 'iPhone 9' Renders: 0.5mm Thicker Than iPhone 8, Shiny Frame and Glass Back Are Assumptions

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OnLeaks, a well-known leaker who shared accurate renders of the iPhone 11 Pro over nine months before the device was unveiled, has returned with new concept art for the so-called "iPhone 9" or "iPhone SE 2" by way of iGeeksBlog.

In line with earlier predictions from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, OnLeaks expects the iPhone 9 to resemble the iPhone 8, including a 4.7-inch LCD display with thick bezels, Touch ID home button, and single-lens rear camera. And unlike the original iPhone SE, the device would not have a headphone jack.

A key upgrade to the iPhone 9 would be a faster A13 Bionic chip, and the device is expected to lack hardware-based 3D Touch.

Where things get less certain is materials. While the renders depict the iPhone 9 with a polished metal frame and a frosted glass back like the iPhone 11 Pro, OnLeaks tells us that these design aspects are purely his assumptions. With the iPhone 9 predicted to start around $399, it is possible that Apple will stick with some cheaper materials like the matte aluminum frame on the iPhone 8.

OnLeaks expects the iPhone 9 to be 7.8mm thick, which would be 0.5mm thicker than the iPhone 8, while the height and width of the device will supposedly be virtually identical to the iPhone 8 at around 138.5mm x 67.4mm. Unlike the materials shown in the renders, OnLeaks tells us that these dimensions are not assumptions.

Ming-Chi Kuo previously said the iPhone 9 will be released by the end of March. He expects the device to have 64GB and 128GB storage options, with Space Gray, Silver, and (PRODUCT)RED color options.

Article Link: OnLeaks Shares 'iPhone 9' Renders: 0.5mm Thicker Than iPhone 8, Shiny Frame and Glass Back Are Assumptions

Last edited:
Reactions: ruslan120

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I hope the name iPhone 9 isn't correct. Marketing wise, why would a customer even look at an iPhone 9 when the current phone is an iPhone 11. I think most people (not on here) just look at the name and not specs.
It is correct. iPhone 7, iPhone 8, iPhone 9. All of those are successors. They deliberately skipped 9 prior when they released the 8 and the X (10) same year. This was the planned phone to fill that gap.

otternonsense

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Will they ever create something new for a smaller form factor and quit milking the iPhone 6? Enough already! Cook is stingier with new tooling than he is with employee working conditions in China. It was already showing its age since the iPhone 7, where the ONLY change was the courageous headphone jack removal.

To all apologists out there: no, just because it still sells, and just because it's meant to be the "budget" option does NOT excuse this level of expedient laziness and complacency. It's still Apple, for crying out loud.

I wonder if Dieter Bonn would call that a "parts-bin" phone and not "the best iPhone for most people".

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I'm still not seeing how this is a great deal with the iPhone 8 as a direct competitor. Phone's look identical, display is the same, battery will probably be slightly larger on the 9, cameras are better, and processor, but you lack 3D touch, and you can probably get the iPhone 8 for another $200 cheaper at this point.

The SE worked because it was extremely cheap (same cost as used or new older generation iPhone's), and the same as the 5S but better. The 9 to the 8 is chunkier, loses 3D touch, and is likely more expensive.

shanson27

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Polished aluminum, TouchID, single camera, LC screen, 4,7 inch display, old fashioned design aka iPhone 6, 6S, 7, 7S, 8

Freida

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2010
Can't wait for this. Will most likely buy day 1.
I wonder though, if 3D touch is removed then why is it thicker?
If its just updated iPhone 8 what internal thing makes it thicker? Could it just be a bigger battery? I somehow wonder why proven design gets changed

jonnyb098

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Apple is not going to make a low priced ($400-ish) iPhone that uses design elements from its thousand dollar flagship. When is anyone going to realize this.

Sorry to burst everyones bubble but itll look like an iphone 8 with a cheaper price tag and beefed up internals , like they did with the SE a few years ago. Its not going to have a stainless chassis and frosted glass back. Good grief.

ITS A BUDGET PHONE

Freida

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2010
Whats the problem here? Some of us don't want the TouchID, Notch etc. Some of us prefer other designs (I still have iPhone 6 which I can't wait to update to this).
11 and 11 Pro are not worth it for some people so why can just accept that some people prefer other things?

Bring back an updated iPod classic with flash storage, Bluetooth 5 and a click-wheel with haptic feedback while you're at it...

Reactions: Chung123

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I'd like to see them move away from the shiny/slippery materials (at least, for some of their phones) and build some phones with a grippy case, ideally drop-friendly, so that I don't need to add extra bulk by adding a case.

Also, I'll just take this chance to add my vote (once again) for a higher-end SE replacement. I want a small, one-hand-friendly, phone with a great camera, and I'll pay a premium for it.

I will say that the iPhone SE I bought as a replacement to my iPhone XS (which was too big to comfortably use one-handed) gets crappy battery life. So I'm also fine if the device is a bit thicker, perhaps with the added thickness/weight isolated towards the bottom-half, in order to keep it even more steady in your hand when using it one-handed.