Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Online iPad 2 Orders Begin to Ship

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For those who ordered the iPad 2 from Apple's Online Store, the first orders have started shipping overnight. The early shipment notifications seem sporadic and are primarily of Wi-Fi and Verizon models. Readers are reporting on their ship notifications in our discussion forum. The earliest arrival for the first orders seems to be March 17th.

Those who didn't make it in the initial wave of orders will now have to wait 3-4 weeks before shipments. Apple retail locations will likely continue to get stock on a daily basis if you are looking to pick one up sooner.

Article Link: Online iPad 2 Orders Begin to Ship

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
This is exciting news. Hopefully as the US get there iPads shipped the UK will be able to pre-order soon.

Can but dream.

Comment

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

As long as it doesn't hold up other country releases, fingers crossed!

Comment

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Awesome. They will arrive at people's houses shortly!

Comment

eradlmann

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

Mine estimates march 15th on fedex and it's a state away. 32gb Verizon.

Comment

YoGramMamma

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2006
Interesting

This is good news for me because I was in the first wave of orders (order was placed before they were technically even scheduled to go on sale) But I ended up going with the AT&T version... Still no shipping notification for me yet. In the store that I went to buy it I was told all the AT&T models sold out much more quickly than the Verizon versions.. Presumably this is because of the ability to sell these overseas for a markup, and/or the fact that AT&T data connection is technically faster... And/or that whole $35 activation fee that Verizon is charging.... I don't know. But I just know I hope the supply levels out sooner rather than later.

Comment

twotwo11

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
This is good news for me because I was in the first wave of orders (order was placed before they were technically even scheduled to go on sale) But I ended up going with the AT&T version... Still no shipping notification for me yet. In the store that I went to buy it I was told all the AT&T models sold out much more quickly than the Verizon versions.. Presumably this is because of the ability to sell these overseas for a markup, and/or the fact that AT&T data connection is technically faster... And/or that whole $35 activation fee that Verizon is charging.... I don't know. But I just know I hope the supply levels out sooner rather than later.

It was just a rumor. Verizon confirmed that there weren't any activation fee already.

Comment

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
lol I waited zero hours to get mine, ordered online real quick and it will be here in a few days. I much prefer having nine hours of my life to do what I want than getting this device a few days early.

I waited three hours to get mine and it was well worth it. Met some interesting people and had a good time in line, too! :D

But 3-4 weeks now for on-line orders is ridiculous! They must be getting a huge volume of orders!

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
lol I waited zero hours to get mine, ordered online real quick and it will be here in a few days. I much prefer having nine hours of my life to do what I want than getting this device a few days early.

Same here. Came home late Thursday. Ordered just after getting home right when they went on sale about :15 before the set time. Went to bed.

On Friday my case, and HDMI dongle shipped. On Saturday I got an email saying my iPad shipped with a March 13th date, most likely because it was already Sunday in China.

Delivers by Thursday 17th. Not a big deal. Didn't hang out in any crazy lines. Crazy lines can be fun sometimes, but I just have too much going on to do that.

Will restore to factory my original iPad tonight and ship it to my eBay buyer on Monday morning.

Comment

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
you are being very optimistic if you think you will be able to buy ipad 2 in an apple store at a time of your choosing.

similar to ipad 1, new ipad shipments that do arrive at apple stores will sell out within minutes.

Comment

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Ordered on 3/11 at 12:47am. Est Delivery: 3/17 by 4:30pm

Placed my order for a white, 32 gb wifi pad right before going to sleep on 3/11. I received my shipment notification last night. Like others, I got what I wanted without having to wait in line. Apple could have begun on-line pre-ordering but wanted the hype/hoopla of people waiting in line. lets not forget: Apple does make great products but also, Apple is the MASTER of sales and marketing.

:cool:

Comment

nipo

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
you are being very optimistic if you think you will be able to buy ipad 2 in an apple store at a time of your choosing.

similar to ipad 1, new ipad shipments that do arrive at apple stores will sell out within minutes.

ipad2 seems to have a much higher number of resellers buying them than the first one did. If Apple Stores continue to get regular shipments in they should be able to meet demand in a few weeks.

Comment

BrettJDeriso

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Northern Virginia
One thing Apple clearly learned from this time: there is no shortage whatsoever of cases.

I passed on the magic plastic flap with magnets; opted instead for a Griffin Élan Slim Folio -also in plentiful stock- from Best Buy.

All things considered, I too am glad I waited in line. It was a good chance to meet some of my neighbors :p

Comment

drknowusa

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
There seems to be a significant delay in shipping the GSM models. There are many comments in other threads from people who placed orders within the first sixty minutes but still don't have any indication that their iPad is ready for shipment or on the way to it's anxious buyer.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.