iPad mini Open box iPad mini with find my phone on :(

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WindowsTraitor, Dec 28, 2013.

1. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

Just bought an open box ipad mini retina from BB. The box was sealed. They had a special going on and I wanted to take advantage of the 15$ gift card offer.

I just turned on the ipad now, and it the itunes account of whomever returned it is still active.

I cannot turn off the find my phone app. I cannot reset the IPAD either.

This was the last open box they had. Should I ask for a new one as a replacement or go to Apple?

I had saved about 70$ from the original msrp. I would like to keep the price.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You could go to apple with your receipt from bestbuy as they can bypass it as you have proof of ownership

3. Shift Option K macrumors regular

Shift Option K

4. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

Put the device into recovery mode and then restore it

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That won't work any more since iOS7 - the lock cannot be bypassed even with a DFU restore

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If it had iOS 7 installed, there is nothing that can be done without the previous owner's Apple ID - it is required to restore the device to factory (reset and erase). As another poster mentioned, even a DFU won't work, as it will ask for the Apple ID during the restore.

There is nothing Apple can do either, other than provide a method to reset an Apple ID password (which requires the email account associated with the Apple ID).

I would think the only recourse is to return it to BestBuy. They should know better when an iOS device is returned, and make sure the customer does a complete reset (which also disables Find-my-iPhone).

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Open boxed means the iPad was used and retuned. I'd take it Apple to see if they can do anything with bypassing it if you have the BB receipt other ways take it back to BestBuy. There's really nothing more you can do.

8. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for your responses. BB gave me a new one for the same price. Kudos to BB for making things right.

9. rajpatel macrumors regular

I'm surprised bb made it rite. Walmart routinely does that but bb sucks. Hopefully they still go outta biz at earliest. We don't need em. Too much clutter and electronic junk

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm glad that it worked out for you. Enjoy your new iPad mini.

11. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Have you tried placing the device into DFU mode and doing a full restore? Not sure if this would work, but if it doesn't, I would agree with taking it to Apple prior to returning it to BB. If Apple can restore it, you can keep it b/c you got it at a discounted price.

12. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Restoring does not work and the OP already got BestBuy to replace it.

13. Bear macrumors G3

If Best Buy goes out of business, Amazon's electronics prices will go up again. Also Best Buy will match prices for products sold and shipped by Amazon. If you can't wait for shipping this is good, especially since Amazon is having to charge sales tax in a lot of states now.

14. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Says the guy with two iPads and an iPhone....

15. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I'd wager he doesn't find either of those to be "clutter" or "junk". After all, BB's stock is filled with crap.

16. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

You should read his other posts:)

17. mrschanah macrumors newbie

I originally got a 1st gen iPad mini for xmas. I decided to get the rMini. I purchased an open box and discovered it had a blue tint around the edges. Well I took it back and got a brand new one and this one is perfect!

18. rajpatel macrumors regular

Hey IQ of Two Seven,

I sold my 4 ydy. My only electronic slavery is to an iPhone 5 who face I won't gaze upon except for phone, music or camera......all three I use and it excels at it. And an awesome ipad Air which I enjoy more and more every day. So nice. And feels like half the weight of that awful brick I unloaded ydy. My first thought upon waking this morning was that I will never hold a 4 again. And it made me feel really happy. I had a lot of pent up feelings bout the 4s weight that I never really faced till it was gone and I felt pure joy at never having to deal with it again. Say what u will bout me, I don't do old tech

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm shocked to hear BB making it right. There are so many horror stories about BB. I'm looking for a new TV and it's harder to find a decent dealer than to figure out which TV model/mfgr.

20. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Best Buy is okay in my book. I've purchased many products there and have never had a problem. I've found the employees to be very accommodating.

21. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I used to hate BB, but they have really turned it around lately. Prices are actually very competitive and u can get the item right then. Most time I do in store pickup so don't deal with employees ;)

22. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Kudo's for BB? LOL!

These idiots resealed a returned iPad and sold it to you! They do this all the time but then most retailers do!

I would not give BB kudos for that!:p

23. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

That's good!

24. aristobrat macrumors G4

Others have mentioned "this doesn't work", but to add some details, ... since iOS 7, you can put an iOS device into DFU/recovery mode and reinstall the OS without any issues. However, as you go through the setup assistant (on the iOS device, after the reinstall), one of the last things it does is check back in with Apple. If the device was locked with "Find my iPhone" before you did the DFU/recovery mode restore, the setup assistant will prompt you for the Apple ID and password that the device was locked with. If you don't have that, you can't proceed. You can wipe/restore the device as many times as you want, but you can't get beyond that part of the setup.

----------

They sold it to him as an "open box special" for $70 off, meaning both BB and the OP knew it was a returned iPad. :confused:

Shame on them for not catching that Find my iPhone was still enabled before accepting the return, but kudos to them for not running him through the ringer in terms of making good on their mistake. It sounds like they ended up selling him a brand-new iPad for $70 off to make it right.

25. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I wasn't a huge fan of them for quite awhile, but they have improved lately. But on the other note, that's all this country needs, another business goes out, less competition, higher prices, and then you get the worst part....people out of work. Happy Holidays to you too. :rolleyes:

Open Box items are clearly marked open box, and the items are marked down accordingly. I don't give them kudos for the blunder, but they certainly didn't have to give them a brand new one at the same price, typically they would have had the customer return it for a refund and have them buy a new one at full price if another open box was not available. In my book that is above and beyond and does deserve the kudos. Congrats on the great deal.