Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gallakos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
Hello,

I installed OpenCore on a 2010 Mac pro and I can't run any virtualisation apps like vmware fusion and virtualbox. I remove and reinstall apps, but no change. In the preferences of confidentiality I have no request also of authorization. I don't know if it's Opencore or Big Sur, to tell the truth.
I've done some research on the internet, but I don't see anything that could relate to my problem. That said, for PCs, I see a lot of people who say they need to make changes in their bios.
Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 15.40.04.png

In virtualbox I have

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 15.34.21.png

In vmware

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 15.36.14.png

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello,

I installed OpenCore on a 2010 Mac pro and I can't run any virtualisation apps like vmware fusion and virtualbox. I remove and reinstall apps, but no change. In the preferences of confidentiality I have no request also of authorization. I don't know if it's Opencore or Big Sur, to tell the truth.
I've done some research on the internet, but I don't see anything that could relate to my problem. That said, for PCs, I see a lot of people who say they need to make changes in their bios.
View attachment 1672263

In virtualbox I have

View attachment 1672262

In vmware

View attachment 1672261
It's not OpenCore, but BigSur Apple Hypervisor asking for instructions that our Xeons don't have at all. XSAVE is only supported with MP6,1 Xeons.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for the info. Do you know if there's any way to solve this?
You'd need to get a newer Mac, or stay with Catalina or Mojave and Fusion 11. Fusion 12 will never run on these old Mac Pros. I don't use Virtualbox so I can't say with certainty there, but the situation is probably similar.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for the info. Do you know if there's any way to solve this?
Unless Apple remove the XSAVE requirement from Apple Hypervisor, Big Sur on a MP5,1 and VMware Fusion (or any other virtualisation solution that depends on Apple Hypervisor, like Anka) it's a no go.

Catalina and Fusion 11.5.x works fine.

Read more here:

Last edited:

tempbeta

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2014
Hello,

View attachment 1672263

In virtualbox I have

View attachment 1672262

In vmware

View attachment 1672261
about VBox:

boot into recovery mode
open Terminal

csrutil clear
reboot

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Parallels Desktop still works on my 5,1. I switched after more than 20 years in VMware (first Workstation, then Fusion.)
They could have enabled an override to still load their KEXT based HyperVisor as they do in Catalina, but no...

Gallakos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
boot into recovery mode
open Terminal

csrutil clear
reboot
I find this solution in VirtualBox forum, but is not working for me. I think is bug with Big Sur, because I have the same problem on a 2017 pro macbook finaly

@heralds I think I do same solution

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
While solutions that use it's own virtualisation engine like VirtualBox, will probably work when updated to Big Sur quirks, Parallels is reported working already, anything that runs over Apple Hypervisor, like Anka or Fusion 12, won't work anymore with a MacPro5,1.

Apple Hypervisor now requires instructions not present with MP5,1 Xeons, XSAVE. Maybe someone down the road can develop a way to trap and emulate the instructions like MouSSE does for SSE4.2…

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
While solutions that use it's own virtualisation engine like VirtualBox, will probably work when updated to Big Sur quirks, Parallels is reported working already, anything that runs over Apple Hypervisor, like Anka or Fusion 12, won't work anymore with a MacPro5,1.

Apple Hypervisor now requires instructions not present with MP5,1 Xeons, XSAVE. Maybe someone down the road can develop a way to trap and emulate the instructions like MouSSE does for SSE4.2…
I tried emulating the instructions and they appear same as if we set/check VMM bit, but it did not work. Apparently the hypervisor checks directly and not in the cache, same as the intel gadget for checking the CPU features.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I tried emulating the instructions and they appear same as if we set/check VMM bit, but it did not work. Apparently the hypervisor checks directly and not in the cache, same as the intel gadget for checking the CPU features.
Sorry, but I think that are using the term emulation totally wrong. You did spoof it, no? Emulating is to re-implement the instructions not present using other ones that exist to do the job for the one that don't.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Maybe someone down the road can develop a way to trap and emulate the instructions like MouSSE does for SSE4.2

I think that are using the term emulation totally wrong. You did spoof it, no?
You are right but the main point being made is that the check is apparently directly querying the CPU for the feature list and aborting if not passing. An emulator such as MouSSE will also fail under such circumstances unless it can somehow get the CPU to respond that it has the feature when queried directly.

Spoofing can work if it can somehow intercept the response and change this but then really deep in the wild west.

Gallakos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
i run virtualbox on my big sur open core installation without any problems
I think is a problem with SIP for VirtualBox https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=100707
I try to enable SIP with Clover (Method 1) but is not possible. It always remains disabled

Bash:
csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: unknown (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
        Apple Internal: disabled
        Kext Signing: disabled
        Filesystem Protections: disabled
        Debugging Restrictions: disabled
        DTrace Restrictions: disabled
        NVRAM Protections: disabled
        BaseSystem Verification: enabled

The solution below doesn't resolve the problem for me with VB
Bash:
csrutil clear
reboot

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.