Ordered MBP on eBay and got a box of paper

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddotmason, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ddotmason macrumors member

Ordered a mbp on ebay recieved a box full of a4 paper. Don't know wage to do.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bummers man :(

Obviously file a claim with eBay and Paypal

3. ddotmason thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I will. I can't believe how crafty this person was. Or maybe yodel have had it I don't know what to think.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've seen it happen before, at this point, I'm not sure why they would do this since paypal will suck the money back out of their account.

Good luck

5. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

What ?? :eek: Thats BROAD DAYLIGHT FRAUD !! :eek:

6. sammy-boy macrumors regular

Take pictures of what you received and file an item significantly not as described claim with eBay. Keep all paperwork, tracking numbers etc too.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There was another similar incident, where a woman bought two iPhone 5s off another woman (they met at a McDonald's to do the transaction). The purchaser didn't check the contents before handing over the cash, so when she got home, she got quite a nasty surprise when she found an apple (the edible fruit) inside each iPhone box.

The scammer has a wicked sense of humour, I've to say.

8. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

There was an instance in the news about a man who bought an iPhone and found erasers on the box upon arriving home.

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

when you file the claim be sure to give them a picture of the box of paper. It may also be helpful if there was a witness when you opened the box so it is not just your word vs the other person. Treat the box, contents, and packaging materials as evidence of a crime....because they are.

10. ddotmason thread starter macrumors member

My dad was with me when I inboxed the item. I spoke to paypal and they have immediately placed a hold on money and have now launched an investigation. I have all the packaging and will hold on to it until PayPal require. I bought of a trusted seller with good feedback so I'm Suprised at this but it was sent in an old shabby box.

11. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

Wow, that's horrible! This is one of many reasons why I don't trust eBay or Craig's List. As expensive as it is, I'd rather always purchase from Apple. Maybe even Best Buy. You always have to be very careful whenever you purchase anything from eBay or Craig's List. There are a lot of nasty people out there scamming out for money. Sorry this happened to you and I hope you get your money back soon!

12. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Paypal, typically takes the word of the buyer, and "affidavits" from others are not needed - unless the OP will get the police involved.

14. ddotmason thread starter macrumors member

It's crap really because it's my word against theirs. Just hope paypal are quick to react. They have told me to have no contact with the seller at all.

15. leman macrumors 604

I would certainly get the police involved! The scammer should be punished as severely as possible.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The sooner you notify paypal, the quicker they'll freeze the funds.

17. ddotmason thread starter macrumors member

I opened it and got on the phone straight to paypal. The police here don't give a **** about low end fraud like this.

18. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Given the situation, the OP could probably use the paper to print the documents involved in getting his cash back (and possibly filing a lawsuit against the scammer).

19. ddotmason thread starter macrumors member

I'm not one to make presumptions about the seller she/he may have sent the item but maybe the courier has had his sticky fingers in there. Iv just read about yodel and they have a terrible write up.

20. TsunamiTheClown macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

Yeah and don't forget to torpedo their ebay rep so that other buyers don't get the shaft. Sorry man.

21. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Oh my god man, contact eBay and stuff, id be so pissed, best luck to you.

22. ddotmason thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I have spoke to the fraud team and taken pictures of the box and paper they sent. Paypal are now in the decision making. I don't know what the seller is saying. I don't know if they are genuine or not.

23. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I'd imagine with a purchase like this shipping was insured.

24. ddotmason thread starter macrumors member

Yeah of the seller is genuine and the courier has had it I hope so. Yodel have terrible reviews for this kind of thing just hope it gets sorted soon so I can get my computer :)

25. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain