Original iPad & iOS 6

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GeorgieAcevedo, Jun 10, 2012.

1. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

2. chris566 macrumors regular

I think it's because they still sell the 3GS and not the 1st gen iPad. A bummer for iPad owners.

3. irDigital0l Guest

I kinda expected the iPad 1 not to be support cause Apple usually does 2 major iOS before ditching it.

I have a couple theories

A. There will be iPad extensive features in iOS 6. Maybe like Mission Control multitasking or something. It wouldn't really work on the iPhone so only iPad would have those features. So like usual, Apple only supports up to 2 OS. iPad 1 started with 3.2 so its time would be up.

B. Apple will break from its 2 OS limit support and base upgrades on what they are selling. Selling 3GS, 4, and 4 means that all iPhones they are currently selling gets iOS 6. Of course the 3GS would have limited features. I predict they will do the same with the iPad with the 4th gen comes out and iOS 7. iPad 2 would have limited iOS 7 features.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

online Apple store still selling 1st gen iPad…so what is the point?

5. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

They are only selling refurbs online.

6. lepeos macrumors member

This is all just speculation based on links some people have found.

If Apple's own Maps is one of the major iOS 6 features, I find it unlikely they would leave the iPad 1 with the Google alternative whilst almost every other device sports Apple's own software.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

5.2;)

8. MattWeed9 macrumors member

MattWeed9

This link states the third gen iPod is left out too. But like they said it might just be for the beta builds....

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/wwdc_2012_inactive_ios_6_safari_6_beta_links_show_online

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Plausible that by the time of iOS6 public release we will have a 5th gen Touch (with the new 1.78 screen) making iOS unlikely for the Touch 3ed gen.

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm not real happy about the original iPad no longer being supported. I bought my iPad 64 GB with WiFi + 3G because it was the top of the line. It was the best that Apple offered. That was only May 2010. Just over two years ago and now it is soon to be obsolete? My intentions were to get a 3rd Generation iPad and pass this one down to my 9-year-old daughter but I'm not thrilled with that idea, now. Why would I want to giver her something that will have many apps that aren't usable?

Just two years old and dumped already. What a blow. I expected better from Apple.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Most iOS devices have been supported for only two OS generations. See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices

The only exception is the iPhone 3GS, which started with iOS 3 and is getting the 6. But the original iPhone only got to iOS 3, the iPhone 3G only got to iOS 4, and the original iPad is following the same pattern.

12. MattWeed9 macrumors member

MattWeed9

I agree with you 100%. This seems to be the wave of the future. Minus the screen the new iPad has no huge improvements of the iPad two. And the iPad 2 is really not a mind blowing upgrade from one. So in an effort to rake in as much money as possible, they quit doing the software updates to force people into new devices much sooner then they should.

Apple is by no means the only company that does this. Smart Phone makers seem to use this as well to get people to upgrade yearly, or by at least two years. If you wait more then two years you are missing a lot of the features of the newer devices that are a out. Whether you care about that or not is up to you. I make good money, but there is nothing wrong with my iPad 2 so I refuse to upgrade to the iPad 3 just for a prettier screen. I am a little envious of the better camera however, but it still isn't something that I would merit as need enough to waste money. In a year or two if they have a better product then I will think about an upgrade, but for right now I am happy.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

The iPad 1's application compatibility is limited by its processor speed, not the iOS version. There's nothing that you're doing today that won't work tomorrow. Do you really expect Apple to limit its entire OS roadmap tp make it compliant with 2 year old technology?

14. shortcrust macrumors 6502

It does more than it did when you bought it and will continue to do everything it does not for many years to come. How is that 'obsolete'??

15. MattWeed9 macrumors member

MattWeed9

Call me crazy but if I paid anywhere from 400-700 dollars for any device, I would expect it to be support longer then a two year period.

16. aitte macrumors newbie

Exactly. That's what I've been trying to get people to understand in the iOS sub-forum thread on the same topic: So you say Android is fragmented?

Absolutely evil move by Apple, motivated by only one thing - greed.

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

How is it not being supported? Do you expect them to throw in a free processor upgrade every two years?

18. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Apple guarantees you one full OS release after what your device initially was introduced with. The iPad 1 got two, and the iPhone 3GS is getting three.

19. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but there is NO excuse for them to not have iPad support for iOS 6.

It is BS.

They can't talk crap about Android fragmentation then drop a two year old machine with HIGHER specs than a device that will be supported (3GS).

They are talking out of both sides of their AmoSuthS.

The problem is that the iPad is in large part an app delivery system, and it is marketed as such. Most newer apps are only compatible within the latest iOS major version numbers. Those of us original iPad owners will now not only not get the improvements and enhancements of iOS 6, but we will also start to miss out on new and creative apps.

20. brendu macrumors 68020

What I don't get is how the iPod touch 4th generation gets the upgrade but not the iPad. They have the same hardware, same processor, same ram. Makes no sense unless they will be releasing iPad features that require more power/ram that the iPhone won't have.

21. dave420 macrumors 65816

The iPad is a first generation product that was sold new for only about one year. It is a good idea for Apple to maintain solid performance for the device. That is especially important with the difficulty in downgrading. If Apple feels they don't want to support a device in a certain software release, then I trust their judgement (for the most part).

22. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Totally agree!
    I bet if they didn't make iOS7 compatible with the current iPad(3) there would be a lot of people complaining.
    (Having been released with iOS5, iOS6 would make it one upgrade only.)

Ipad 1 is faster than the iPod touch 4G, so I can't see why they wouldn't allow it, even with reduced features.
    Just wait until the apps start getting upgraded, and no longer work... grr..

23. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

The first iPad got iOS 3,4, & 5. That's really not too shabby.

24. lloose macrumors newbie

What makes me mad is this is going to really effect resale value. My wife is looking at the new ipad to replace her first gen and now we have to sell it quick before ios6 drops and the price plummets.

25. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

The device has been out for 2 years and has gone through 3 iterations of iOS already. Deal with it.