OS 4 install fail! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by emettsantucci, Apr 9, 2010.

1. emettsantucci macrumors member

emettsantucci

I downloaded iphone os 4 from demonoid.com and followed the directions online and installed it to my iphone, but i am not a registered developer, so when the restore was complete and i connected my my iphone itunes just says we're unable to complete activation. this device is not registered as part of the iphone developer program. if you are a memeber plese register your divice in the iphone developer program portal. there is nothing that lets me start my iphone from scratch. and my ipone just says slide for emergency. What should i do? this isnt even my iphone. its my dad and he asked my to install 4.0 on it. is there a way to restore from a backup?

Attached Files:

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

No. It gets "bricked" as they say and you apparently can't downgrade.

3. emettsantucci thread starter macrumors member

emettsantucci

so im basically screwd right? is there any possible way to reset it again?

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

When the legit version of 4.0 comes out you will be able to go to that.

5. emettsantucci thread starter macrumors member

emettsantucci

but untill themn i will have no way to fix it? will it work if i sync it with my laptop?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And this is why people, if you are not a developer, you should not be using OS 4...

Learn you lesson, every year is the same crap of people trying to get to work a BETA OS.

7. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Find a dev that is willing to add you UDID and it will be unbricked.

8. The General macrumors 601

The only thing you can do right now is get your phone on a developer account, either one you buy yourself or on a friends, then restore to 4.0 again.

9. emettsantucci thread starter macrumors member

emettsantucci

dont worry, i wont try this again!

the problem is, is there is no way to restore. if you look at the screen shot from my first post that is all there is!

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Good lord. I wasn't around last time there was a closed beta; are we going to have to deal with threads like this for the next 3 months?

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. They can but they will charge you something like $5.
    2. Don't make a thread asking, it'll get zapped.

Well, consider the following, I was here for OS 2 and OS 3 betas, it was hell. People trying to have the latest OS knowing they should not and then complaining and moaning about it not working or bricked devices. It was hell of two parties. So far, it looks like this year, it'll be the same thing.

12. emettsantucci thread starter macrumors member

emettsantucci

how do i find my UDID my iphone only lets me make an emergency call

13. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Yes, unfortunately.

14. emettsantucci thread starter macrumors member

emettsantucci

15. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

No need to panic really, yes either you have to cough up the 100 bucks ($99) or if you have a friend who is a developer or has a developer's account he will help you, if you don't

you can find a developer I'm sure (online, put up a craigslist ad) and negotiate a price with him for his services/time and for helping you out, if he is really nice he should do it for next to nothing.

16. emettsantucci thread starter macrumors member

emettsantucci

thanks, but do you think i woud be able to keep my phone number if i set it up on my lapop? i have a backup on there.

17. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Your phone number totally depends on the SIM card you have inside the phone, it has nothing to do with the machine (computer) you "setup" activate or back up the phone on.

I would probably search long and hard for a registered developer, online and in your community... they should be able to help you out

or your fastest and most practical option is to buy an apple dev. account...it's convenient but also comes with a $99 price tag.

I am not a programmer or a developer myself, But I do know you do need a Mac to become a developer...

EDIT: I may have some good news for you... you can register as a developer via the link that's provided above...and not even spend a dime..Payment comes into play at the very last step of your registration, so...

If I were you ( but not me) i would give it a shot anyways...you got nothing to lose at this point..:p register all the way until they ask for credit card info...then hit the "cancel" button and go back to your iTunes and log into your iTunes account with the same account you just registered as a developer....and come back here and let us all know if it did anything for you...

I wouldn't get my hopes high, but it's definitely worth a shot, since it takes about 2 minutes and no effort at all to register...well semi-register;)

18. emettsantucci thread starter macrumors member

emettsantucci

ok thanks. but i still have the problem of mot being able to find out my UDID number. Do you know how to do that on the computer?

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, every year the same.
    Then they complain why everything doesnt work perfect and how they cant downgrade etc.......
    People never learn.
    Do not update to Beta releases unless you're a Developer and need to do it. Its not a pleasant experience, not everything will work and alot of stuff will be buggy.

20. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

hmm not sure about that "UDID" i guess they will give oyu that number after you pay!? sorry man was just trying to see what your options were.. I went as far as registering as a developer but did not pay, they send me a 5 digit email verification code...but not a UDID

21. emettsantucci thread starter macrumors member

emettsantucci

i already know how to get my UDID number you click on something ( i have to look it up again) in the about prefs in your iphone. the thing is is my iphone is locked so i cant get to those prefs. you are really helpful though, thanks!:)

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

23. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

So whats your status? what CAN you do and what CAN"T you do with your iphone and iTunes as of now?

24. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I wonder if Apple would suspend those devs accounts that are selling "spots" on them?