OS X 10.3.9 7W82 seeded to developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Posted by Cafémacs, what appears to be a final build (7W82) of 10.3.9 has been seeded to Apple's developers.
Improvements are said to include:
- network volumes are now available in the Finder sidebar and Desktop for convenient access
- file sharing and directory services reliability for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS), PC (SMB/CIFS), PPTP, and wireless networks
- support for NTFS formatted volumes
- reliability of user logins, mounting of home directories in a networked environment, and launch of network applications
- updated PostScript and USB printing
- updated font management
- reliable disc burning and recording functionality
- Bluetooth compatibility for Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse and Bluetooth phones.
- iPods connected via USB 2.0 are now recognized by iTunes and iSync
- updated Open GL technology and ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
- updated Address Book, Calculator, Disk Utility, DVD Player, Image Capture, Mail, Preview, Safari, Stickies, and QuickTime applications
- compatibility for third party applications and devices
- additional support for FireWire and USB devices
- FileVault, FireWire 800 and WebDAV improvements from Update 10.3.1
- previous standalone security updates and Bluetooth Update 1.5.1

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Nermal said:
Huh? I can read NTFS fine in 10.3.x (and maybe even in 10.2). Or do they mean write support? :D
I certainly hope so. I can read of the drive fine, but I really wish I could write to it because I've got a 160GB drive that is formatted for my Windows machine that I would love to use for my new Mac Mini too.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
UPDATED GFX DRIVERS
Apple loves gamers not.
UPDATED GFX DRIVERS
Apple loves gamers not.
UPDATED GFX DRIVERS

:D

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Bluetooth compatibility of phones eh? Does this mean that us Moto users are going to finally benefit from the "great relationship" Motorola has with Apple. Ugh... I can't believe bluetooth sync is still not functional.

Improving support of the wireless keyboard and mouse? I have one. When i type, it types. When I move the mouse, the pointer moves. Interested about ths too

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Updated Open GL?
I hope this will not slow down my slow machine anymore in games... Since 3.5 it began getting slower in games with each OS update :(

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
my guess is that they are going to release this update right on or before they announce Tiger. can't hurt to keep the previous OS as up-to-date as possible, for the ones who dont have $130 to pay for a new OS right away.

Kenny Pollock

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2003
Hollywood, FL
Tiger's still on track...

This doesn't mean Tiger won't be released soon, it just means that Apple is finishing up the 10.3.* series- this adds credibility to the "rumor" that 10.4 will be released REALLY soon.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
w00t! improvements to ntfs capabilities, improvements to disc burning, update to safari(!) although that could just be the recent security update, and updated disk utility (i guess for the better ntfs junk) this seems like an awesome update and i can't wait to get my hands on it lol

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
So, who else thinks that this:

- iPods connected via USB 2.0 are now recognized by iTunes and iSync

is good news?

:rolleyes:

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
WOW. That is one hell of an update. I suspect Apple cleared all of the bugs they intend to for 10.3 except for the odd security patch here and there.

Bring on Tiger. I can't wait for the features, and hopefully improved speed, compatibility, fewer bugs, and of course, even better security. It's OK to dream...but I am very hopeful for Tiger.

woxel1

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2004
Hope those new graphics drivers bump things back up for me. It seems like every other time the drivers are upgraded my fps go up in UT2k4, and this last update was a real downer.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
With this one I think I'm going to do a fresh install of 10.3, with a direct upgrade to 10.3.9.

And also, I don't think this will be the last upgrade to the 10.3 series. Logically, the next one will be 10.3.10. Which looks pretty good, visually at least.

Lee Tom

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
it wouldnt shock me to see apple release this update and tiger in relatively close proximity. you get 10.4 for everyone with $129 on hand, and 10.3.9 for everyone who doesnt.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
maybe 10.4 will come via software update i mean one can dream haha :D

If all of these features are true, then i expect they'll need some tweaking and we'll see the unprecendented 10.3.9.1 hehe haha well i'm exicted about tiger.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Sounds great!

This update sounds great if it makes a difference. I just haven't seen the improvements in the last few updates.

Also for you users that use .Mac and the iDisk, are you as annoyed as I am about the way that uploads to the public folder work as clumsy as they do.

If I drag a file to my iDisk it exhibits the following behavior.

1) Displays a blue progress bar which rapidly reports the byte tranfer of the file to the iDisk even though no bytes are actually transfer at this stage. example 200 mb file transfers in 2 seconds even though the file on iDisk is only a few kilobits in size.

2) Displays a constantly turning sideways blue barber pole with the message "finishing up please wait". Depending on the size of the file being transfered the wait can be a few minutes to hours. No progress bar is present to let you know where you are in the file transfer.

This is really annoying and misleading! You never know the status of the actual transfer and if you terminate the process early, you will corrupt the transfered file and have to wait at least 15 minutes before you can delete the file from your iDisk and try all over again.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
LeeTom said:
With this one I think I'm going to do a fresh install of 10.3, with a direct upgrade to 10.3.9.

And also, I don't think this will be the last upgrade to the 10.3 series. Logically, the next one will be 10.3.10. Which looks pretty good, visually at least.
Just use the combo updater from the website... I think its called a delta updater, not sure, the one that has everything in it. Run that for the same idea. And might as well hold off on the clean install until Tiger. That's what I'm telling myself, at least.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I believe 10.3.9 was originally seeded quite a while go. I still believe Tiger will come out in April.

Kenny Pollock

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2003
Hollywood, FL
Mechcozmo said:
And might as well hold off on the clean install until Tiger. That's what I'm telling myself, at least.
Indeed, I'm telling myself the same thing. I'm a format-whore, so I'm waiting for Tiger impatiently.

I still have HIGH HOPES of 10.4 soon (upcoming WEEKS).