Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Because of the glitch, I am no longer able to import into Final Cut X. I have found a workaround. The import in Final Cut now only shows the primary Shared folder. So I'm copying what I need to import into that folder, importing from there, and then erasing the copy.
I'm sure Apple will update the glitch with a fix.

Other websites are now claiming that it is working as designed by Apple. If you have the newest version of iTunes and Find My Mac enabled it will hide /User at start up.

To stop it, uncheck Find My Mac, run the terminal script to show the folder and reboot. Turning Find My Mac back on will hide it again.

Still waiting for confirmation from Apple that this is the intended behavior.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Mine is hidden, I didn't even notice it until I saw this thread. My Finder opens up into my Home folder anyway, so not being able to see the Users folder doesn't really bother me. But good to know it's not just me and there is a temp fix for it. I just gotta remember to come here if it does cause an issue for me.

fmaxwell

Nov 27, 2008
Wny are people not displaying hidden folders?

I had no idea this was a problem -- because I have finder set to display hidden files and folders. It's the same thing I for Windows Explorer when I was a Windows user.

Folders are hidden so that dumb people don't damage things. If you're dumb, then life's inconvenient sometimes and you'll have to wait for a bug fix. If you're not, then this is no big deal.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
I suspect (hope) some utility developer such as Onyx, Cocktail, TinkerTool, MacPilot, etc., will soon have a setting/preference to (re)enable the showing of one's Users Folder (to include the proper Permissions so that it is available after restart). Or, perhaps a small freeware app/script...

Or is that just wishful thinking?

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Can you navigate to any other user folders that you could not access before the update though?
Can you now get into /Users/Other User for example?

Nope. I have been having issues with Spotlight pulling up other user files (name only) on other accounts, despite not having permissions in any of those directories. In general I keep seeing files on every user account get changed around and indexed by spotlight (still can't access them, but I can see the names pop up).

However, this I've been having problems with this since 10.9.2 at least so it may not be related.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Folders are hidden so that dumb people don't damage things. If you're dumb, then life's inconvenient sometimes and you'll have to wait for a bug fix. If you're not, then this is no big deal.
Mmmm, attractive...

yHPr6uu.jpg

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I'm on 10.9.2 and my holder is hidden.

However, if I just realized now it's a non issue. I also have automator tasks, including one to toggle hidden files so no issue.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I suspect (hope) some utility developer such as Onyx, Cocktail, TinkerTool, MacPilot, etc., will soon have a setting/preference to (re)enable the showing of one's Users Folder (to include the proper Permissions so that it is available after restart). Or, perhaps a small freeware app/script...

Or is that just wishful thinking?

It's a bug! They're not intentionally hiding the Users folder, why would they do that but keep the System folder unhidden? Use some basic logic people.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It's a bug! They're not intentionally hiding the Users folder, why would they do that but keep the System folder unhidden? Use some basic logic people.

Apple also wouldn't intentionally set permissions on /Users to being wide open. More importantly, why would it be activated by enabling Find my Mac?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Nope. I have been having issues with Spotlight pulling up other user files (name only) on other accounts, despite not having permissions in any of those directories. In general I keep seeing files on every user account get changed around and indexed by spotlight (still can't access them, but I can see the names pop up).

However, this I've been having problems with this since 10.9.2 at least so it may not be related.

I'll upgrade tonight then, thanks for that.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I believe this to be a bug, and related to permissions. I was able to run the terminal command: 'sudo chflags nohidden /Users' , and then repair permissions. This made the /Users folder appear and stay even after a reboot.

Nope. Didn't work for me. The alias suggestion is a good workaround for now.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I had no idea this was a problem -- because I have finder set to display hidden files and folders. It's the same thing I for Windows Explorer when I was a Windows user.

This is all relative. Be careful........

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Not "Back to my Mac"

"Back to my Mac" is disabled on my Mac Mini and the Users folder is disabled.

Scratch that, "Find My Mac" IS enabled. I'm retarded....

Last edited:

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I've got iTunes 11.2 installed and "Find My Mac" is activated. No problem see/accessing my Users folder, it's right there where it should be.

Mark

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
To fix this problem.

Turn off "Find My Mac" in System Preferences > iCloud. Then open the Terminal and enter each of the following commands:

sudo chflags nohidden /Users /Users/Shared
sudo chmod 755 /Users
sudo chmod 1777 /Users/Shared

Razz

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
10.9.2 with iTunes 11.2

iTunes 11.2 installed on 10.9.2. I waited for 10.9.3 to avoid issues, but my Users folder is hidden and permissions are off. My guess is it's not 10.9.3.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 1.01.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 1.01.29 PM.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 1.01.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 1.01.41 PM.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 1.01.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 1.01.52 PM.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 64

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
I believe this to be a bug, and related to permissions. I was able to run the terminal command: 'sudo chflags nohidden /Users' , and then repair permissions. This made the /Users folder appear and stay even after a reboot.

Long ago I have run the Terminal command to unhide system folders and files.

The User folder is now showing as a greyed out hidden folder, running this sudo command did 'unhide' the folder (it did leave the Shared folder hidden) but the fix did not stick with a Restart.

In addition, running the Terminal sudo command ENABLED the Guest User which had been OFF.

BriSpe

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
CH
Got the same problem here. On my Mac Pro where Find my Mac ist not turned on I can still see the folder but on my MBP it's gone.

It doesn't bother me at all because I have everything I need in my Finder Sidebar (the User Folder too) but let's wait and see when Apple is going to fix that.
I'm definitely not doing anything with the terminal. It's Apples fault...so fix it.

Mistakes can happen, they just need to react quickly.

Edit: OW OK...I just turned Find my Mac on on my MP and now it's gone too.
Very very cool feature

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
One wonders if they have anyone...I mean ANYONE test these beta versions before rolling out the final. I mean how the frack can they miss something so darn obvious? Quality control is really starting to suck at Apple. They don't even know WHY their iMessage crap doesn't transfer. Mail still doesn't check it properly when you tell it to (seems to follow its own schedule rather than when you press the button sometimes). They've still done nothing about the side-mounted docks and multi-monitors. There's still no updated OpenGL despite the rumors of graphics drivers improvements in this version early on (apparently only 4k crap for the Mac Pro and Macbook Pro matters). And yet Apple is ALREADY talking about the imminent release of OSX 10.10. WTF!!?! They can't even get 10.9 working right. WTF wants to frack their Mac up even more with some 10.10 that won't have any new good features (just more iOS garbage hand-me-downs that no one likes) and a bunch of new bugs....

If it weren't for the fact that many PCs are getting pummeled with encryption viruses and other nasty malware while the Mac remains relatively unscathed (save a few worms/trojans that are pretty rare), I would have moved to Windows 7 some time ago... oh wait. M$ screwed the pooch with Windows 8.x also. I guess the time is right for Google to wipe out Apple and M$ both since neither seems to "get it" anymore when it comes to OSX GUIs, always trying to make home computers look more mobile (and more dumbed down) when it JUST DOESN'T WORK.

Razz

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
Temp Fix

I tried the terminal and permissions fix, but on my system (10.9.2 with iTunes 11.2) it did not survive a restart. Wondering if I should do the 10.9.3 upgrade anyway. Since I have the bug - which is clearly iTunes related - I might as well have .3 which is greater than .2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.