Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but if you're signed up for the Public Betas for iOS and OS X, how can you stop receiving future Public Beta seeds?

When I update to 10.11.1 public, I'd like to be done with the Public Betas. Same with iOS 9.1.

In System Preferences under updates there is a check box.

ch02ce

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
If only it was that simple in the real world.

Are you implying my expectations are fantasy? As an Office 365 subscriber I expect better from Microsoft - I expect a working product. As it stands, the whole suite still crashes, though things have progressed by leaps and bounds since the laughable instability of the early Office 2016 betas. That said, I don't know what the strategy is going forward, while finally using modern code the suite is still 32-bit and absolutely unwieldy in install and update size. El Capitan also completely broke the OneDrive for Business sync client.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Mail bug ? Mine seems to work fine

It's weird and random. I updated my everyday use 2008 MBP to El Capitan, no issues whatsoever. I upgraded my 2011 MBP that I only use for show work and every time I tried to start Mail, it would get stuck on updating the mail and I would have to force quit to stop the flashing window. Spent about an hour with a Sr. Apple tech and he determined my user account was corrupt. We made a new account and migrated most of my App settings and all is fine. When I'm sure I have all my stuff transferred to the new account, I'll delete the old one. I don't know what caused the corrupt account but I get handed all sorts of random jump drives and hard drives while using it so maybe I picked up something nasty. Don't use Office for Mac so don't know about that but my Bootcamp Windows 10 and Office 2013 works fine (and the VMWare Fusion access as well).

Reactions: alvindarkness

dr4stic

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2014
Are you implying my expectations are fantasy? As an Office 365 subscriber I expect better from Microsoft - I expect a working product. As it stands, the whole suite still crashes, though things have progressed by leaps and bounds since the laughable instability of the early Office 2016 betas. That said, I don't know what the strategy is going forward, while finally using modern code the suite is still 32-bit and absolutely unwieldy in install and update size. El Capitan also completely broke the OneDrive for Business sync client.

If the bug is being fixed by an OS update, I think it's a fairly safe conclusion that the show stoppers likely weren't on Microsoft's end. At the very least, they weren't all on Microsoft's end.

Microsoft's public/consumer facing software arm has two major money makers. Office and Windows. Even if they don't pay a lot of mind to OS X as a favored OS to support, they're not gonna staff a development team that doesn't think to test the software on betas of the next major OS release for a major system vendor.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Seeing how MS showcased Office on the iPad Pro at an Apple conference, I would say Apple would like to keep MS happy
I didn't know how to take that demo. It almost seemed like a Jobs-ian move to get Microsoft to demo their flagship product on a direct competitor to the Surface.
As for software issues, Mail was crashing for me on startup but once I turned off an exchange account I no longer had access to, it stopped crashing.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Reading this over and over is getting boring .... In my personal experience, Office 2016 worked fine through all the El Cap betas and only broke when the GM came out. What was your experience?
As much as I hate to admit this, your statement is right on!
I don't think Microsoft is at total blame here and the problem only occurred when the latest El Cap GM came out. Glad to hear both parties are working on a fix.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
F you, unicorn. And your taco too.

Can't wait! I've stayed off of El Cap .0 on principle, but give me one update (and then a 2-day waiting period) and I will be ready to go for it. Goodbye Helvetica.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Fingers crossed this update restores the hourly automatic backups with Time machine which stopped for me (and several others) since El Capitan. I won't have to remember to keep running it manually then.

Other than that and requiring a few third party updates that have generally come out quickly 10.11 has been very solid for a .0 release.

Have you tried something like Time Machine Editor? I use it because I don't need hourly backups....I have it set to backup at 12 noon and midnight, 6AM and 6PM daily. Just wondering if it still would work with El Capitan.

jase1125

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Texas

This was an Apple issue. Stop letting your hate blind you.

Reactions: flur

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Office 2016 on El Cap is utter garbage. Went back to Office 2011 due to all the crashing.

Let's hope this fixes it.

Springman

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
Thank god, the update can't come soon enough. The constant Office crashes are on my last nerve!!!!

philipyoungg

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Jakarta Capital Region
My update on a 2014 MBP with Mavericks has been stalling on waiting for 2 weeks now.
Clicking pause or resume does nothing.
El Capitan doesn't show up in the app store for me
Tried some internet suggested Activity Monitor adjustments, but no dice.

No time to do a clean install, just wondering why on my other MBP it was easy to go from mavericks to
El Capitan.

Got this issue. Frustrated, I open my application folder and voila—the El Capitan installer was there. So I just click and now have El Capitan on my computer.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but if you're signed up for the Public Betas for iOS and OS X, how can you stop receiving future Public Beta seeds?

When I update to 10.11.1 public, I'd like to be done with the Public Betas. Same with iOS 9.1.
System Preferences -> App Store

mbh1976

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Anyone else have an issue with Mail where duplicate (composing) messages are saved on the desktop, even after the main one has been sent?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It's weird and random. I updated my everyday use 2008 MBP to El Capitan, no issues whatsoever. I upgraded my 2011 MBP that I only use for show work and every time I tried to start Mail, it would get stuck on updating the mail and I would have to force quit to stop the flashing window. Spent about an hour with a Sr. Apple tech and he determined my user account was corrupt. We made a new account and migrated most of my App settings and all is fine. When I'm sure I have all my stuff transferred to the new account, I'll delete the old one. I don't know what caused the corrupt account but I get handed all sorts of random jump drives and hard drives while using it so maybe I picked up something nasty. Don't use Office for Mac so don't know about that but my Bootcamp Windows 10 and Office 2013 works fine (and the VMWare Fusion access as well).
Scaring .... I don't want my account to be corrupted. A lot of things connected to it.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Am I the only one having Mail crash randomly when I'm not using it? It'll be in the background and when I come back to my computer or wake up in the morning, it's crashed.
Nope. Happens to me too. Although more often than not it crashes on startup due to a gmail issue.

DrSyn

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
Fingers crossed this update restores the hourly automatic backups with Time machine which stopped for me (and several others) since El Capitan. I won't have to remember to keep running it manually then.

Other than that and requiring a few third party updates that have generally come out quickly 10.11 has been very solid for a .0 release.
I pretty much have had the same experience. Few software issues but Time Machine stopped doing hourly automatic backups for me as well and nothing (including a clean install of El Capitan/reinstallation of all of my non-OS related apps) has solved the problem. I too am holding out hope that 10.11.1 resolves the Time Machine issue. Someone posted in a thread in the Apple Community El Capitan forum that the 10.11.1 beta did resolve the issue but I have not seen others confirm that. I remain hopeful though that 10.11.1 does fix Time Machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.