Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
OS X Snow Leopard Installation Process Changes Described?

AppleInsider has received information detailing a number of changes to the installation process for Apple's forthcoming Mac OS X Snow Leopard in comparison to the process for OS X Leopard. Notable changes include the preservation of minor point updates upon reinstallation, a shifting of Rosetta and QuickTime 7 to optional installs, and removal of the "Erase and Install" and "Archive and Install" options from the basic installer to reduce user confusion, although the options are still available via Disk Utility.
- Although Rosetta and Quicktime 7 are both included on the Mac OS X 10.6 installation DVD, both are designated as optional installs by default. However, if Mac OS X 10.6 is being installed on a Mac that contains a registration a key for Quicktime 7 Pro, the installer will install Quicktime 7 automatically.

- Options to "Erase and Install" and "Archive and Install" are no longer present in the Mac OS X 10.6 installer. According to those familiar with the software, this was done for convenience, so that users do not accidentally erase and install their Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard partitions. However, "Erase and Install" remains available through Disk Utility, which is also included on the installation DVD.

- If you need to reinstall 10.6, it automatically archives and installs for you.

- A reinstallation will not affect your Mac OS X version number. In other words, reinstallation of Mac OS X 10.6 on a Mac that contains Mac OS X 10.6.1 (when it becomes available) will not overwrite any new components delivered by 10.6.1. So when the re-install is complete, you will still be running Mac OS X 10.6.1. This will save users considerable time.
Additionally, the installer will copy a large chunk of data from the installation disc to the user's hard drive at the beginning of the installation process, allowing the bulk of the process to occur on the user's drive rather than constantly transferring data from the optical media. The Snow Leopard installer will also sequester existing applications known to be incompatible with the updated operating system, allowing for more reliable system behavior upon upgrading.

Finally, the report notes that word of a Snow Leopard release as early as August 24th has been suggested, although there is no confirmation of that information at this time. Apple has previously stated that it is scheduling a September launch of the new operating system.

A new Mac OS X Snow Leopard build (10A432) has reportedly been designated "Golden Master", paving the way for manufacturing of optical media for retail distribution. Mac OS X Snow Leopard will be priced at $29 for current OS X Leopard owners, and users purchasing a new Mac on June 8th, 2009 or later can receive the updated operating system for $9.95 though Apple's "Up to Date" program.

Article Link: OS X Snow Leopard Installation Process Changes Described?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's good to see more stuff make it back to Optional Installs.

MacRumors said:
removal of the "Erase and Install" and "Archive and Install" options from the basic installer to reduce user confusion, although the options are still available via Disk Utility.
It will be just as confusing then.

MacRumors said:
- A reinstallation will not affect your Mac OS X version number. In other words, reinstallation of Mac OS X 10.6 on a Mac that contains Mac OS X 10.6.1 (when it becomes available) will not overwrite any new components delivered by 10.6.1. So when the re-install is complete, you will still be running Mac OS X 10.6.1. This will save users considerable time.
I wonder how this is handled OS wise. There's probably a do not touch folder and some new package installing scheme for updates.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
People familiar with Apple's upcoming Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard operating system are corroborating reports this week that the software has achieved Golden Master status, adding some additional insight on various enhancements and changes that users will notice during the installation process when compared to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Build 10A432 reportedly went GM a bit earlier this week and is currently on its way to manufacturing, where it will pressed onto optical media ahead of a formal availability date next month. The GM build also began making its way into the hands of some Apple Care support representatives and Apple Technicians on Wednesday.

Some of the changes and enhancements to the Snow Leopard installation process are as follows:
  • Although Rosetta and Quicktime 7 are both included on the Mac OS X 10.6 installation DVD, both are designated as optional installs by default. However, if Mac OS X 10.6 is being installed on a Mac that contains a registration a key for Quicktime 7 Pro, the installer will install Quicktime 7 automatically.
  • Options to "Erase and Install" and "Archive and Install" are no longer present in the Mac OS X 10.6 installer. According to those familiar with the software, this was done for convenience, so that users do not accidentally erase and install their Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard partitions. However, "Erase and Install" remains available through Disk Utility, which is also included on the installation DVD.
  • If you need to reinstall 10.6, it automatically archives and installs for you.
  • A reinstallation will not affect your Mac OS X version number. In other words, reinstallation of Mac OS X 10.6 on a Mac that contains Mac OS X 10.6.1 (when it becomes available) will not overwrite any new components delivered by 10.6.1. So when the re-install is complete, you will still be running Mac OS X 10.6.1. This will save users considerable time.
  • There is no "Previous System" folder at the root level after reinstalling.
  • If a power outage occurs, installation will pick up from where it left off.
  • To prevent the Blue Screen error that plagued some users when upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5, a software compatibility check is included that has a list of known "bad" apps, and disables them. Those programs are moved to an "Incompatible Software" folder.
  • Unlike Mac OS X 10.5, you cannot install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on computers where the hard drive reports a S.M.A.R.T. failure.
  • Installation initially triggers a large chunk of data to be copied from the installation DVD to the user's primary hard drive. The bulk of the installation is then managed from the hard drive, speeding up the installation process considerably. After a successful installation, that large chunk of data is automatically removed.

I underlined what I think is the solution to blank drives.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
So wait... Has the OPTION to Archive and Install been removed, or does it always automatically Archive and Install when upgrading, keeping the current apps and preferences installed?

Guess I'll be doing a clean install! Not the end of the world I guess.

applerocks

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
I'm all for a lack of Product Codes that Microsoft has, but really, it seems like at times those might be easier. I could install Snow Leopard on a blank drive and just enter my Leopard product code. (Like Apple lets you do for Final Cut upgrade installs on a new machine.)

This whole $29 thing is really just making it a big hassle for the way some people normally upgrade.

That said, for the average Mac user, the Leopard-->Snow Leopard transition is a LOT easier than XP or Vista-->Windows 7.

The August 24 tidbit is really interesting, but that is really quick turnaround, no? How long between GM and release for other versions of Mac OS X?

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Seems to confirm the idea that you are not going to be able to install it on blank drive.

No way it is getting released early.
However, "Erase and Install" remains available through Disk Utility, which is also included on the installation DVD.

Wouldn't that work on blank drives?

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
So wait... Has the OPTION to Archive and Install been removed, or does it always automatically Archive and Install when upgrading, keeping the current apps and preferences installed?

Guess I'll be doing a clean install! Not the end of the world I guess.

The option to Archive and Install has been moved from the basic installer to Disk Utility, which can be run from the installation DVD. However, if you want to keep all your apps and preferences and everything, what you want is probably Upgrade, not Archive and Install. Upgrade is the default, and will now be the only option in the basic installer.

thertrain

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2005
Apple Page Switched

I would suspect the rumor about SL reaching GM is in fact true. If you go to Apple's website and go to the Mac OS X page, it defaults to Snow Leopard now, not Leopard. :eek:

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
This whole $29 thing is really just making it a big hassle for the way some people normally upgrade.

The August 24 tidbit is really interesting, but that is really quick turnaround, no? How long between GM and release for other versions of Mac OS X?
So if it was $99, it'd be easier?

The last GM to OS X was I believe 7 days, which I was most people seem to be calling BS on the GM statements.

I would suspect the rumor about SL reaching GM is in fact true. If you go to Apple's website and go to the Mac OS X page, it defaults to Snow Leopard now, not Leopard. :eek:

Been doing that for a while.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008

What are you basing that off of? None of us actually knows how the $29 upgrade disc is going to work, I bet it won't be a hassle at all. The only reason people are getting headaches over it is cuz they're arguing about how it's gonna be done, when the truth is none of us knows for sure anyway. We just have to wait and see (and according to this article, we may be waiting less than 2 weeks!)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The standard install appears to be like Archive & Install. It's the new clean installation method unless you really have to wipe the drive. You'll end up wiping your saved updates though.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
*fixed

And what do you mean? It says "Erase & Install" but you think its only going to erase?

If you click Erase & Install, it seems like you would be aware that it's going to erase everything and then do the upgrade. How many users seriously think that when they click that, it is not going to erase.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
:D We're getting so close!

Does anyone know if I can pick up my "up to date" disk at the Apple Store, or will I have to wait for it in the mail? I'd like to go to the launch...

tiiim

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
well if SL has indeed gone GM then we should expect official pre-orders hitting Apple's site very soon.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
If you click Erase & Install, it seems like you would be aware that it's going to erase everything and then do the upgrade. How many users seriously think that when they click that, it is not going to erase.
If your speaking of the general, isn't that why they put it in DU instead of the main installer window? If your going to install a new blank HD yourself, I guess they would think you'd know where to go to install 10.6 on it.

I don't see the masses of people automatically going to DU to do a simple upgrade.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

FWIW, Apple charged my card Monday for the up-to-date program copy of SL.

I don't quite like that I can't install on a blank drive though.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I agree, I think the moving of "Erase & Install" is more confusing. Seriously Apple, do people really go to "Erase & Install" think this won't erase their harddrive? If people do that, they have to go out of their way to get to that option so they must know what they're doing.

If not, they deserve it for not reading.

DUSTmurph

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2009
Detroit Rock City
why must they get my hopes up by saying its gonna get released early? I'll be expecting late August/early September when, chances are, its gonna be released late september. great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.