Other phones do NOT have the same issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kre62, Jul 16, 2010.

1. kre62 macrumors 68020

Attenuating the antennae with your hand is NOT the same as the iphone 4 issue.

The signal on the 4 is not attenuated cause your hand is blocking it. It attenuates because the two antennas are shorted. This can be done with a penny, and no hands.

There is not another phone in existence that can lose signal by placing a penny, paperclip, staple, or housekey anywhere on it.

Thats why this press conference is so troubling. They say they have been working non stop on this, but a simple 25c coat with a clear polymer on the antennae would solve the problem.

Unbelievable.

And before anyone says "just return it", take that passive aggressive BS elsewhere. If you don't want to stand up for yourself and demand your product be fixed, don't get mad at those who have the balls to.

2. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

I too have absolutely no signal dropping issues similar to iPhone 4 with my launch day 3GS. And I assume there might be iPhone 4's just like that.

Apple's 100 million dollar RF chamber along with the engineers did not help. I am wondering if the emphasis was more on the form than function. As an engineer, I would tackle function before even getting into form. Aesthetics doesnt have to deal with physics related issues, iPhone is not a dumb jewel, it has a function and not just reflect the light shone on it.

3. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

not to disagree but i have done the dropping on a samsung, i engulfed the phone with my hands and the bars dropped from 3 to none, i had my iphone next to it laying on the table and it had 2, just saying it could happen to other phones

4. firteen888 macrumors regular

But your product WON'T be fixed, I'm really not sure what else your expecting here. the press conference is over, Apple said what they're gonna say, case closed. If your iphone is causing you so many problems then RETURN IT!! There's nothing else to say! You can demand they fix it all day long but they're NOT GOING TO!! Just stop complaining already.

5. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

I do that allll the time when I make phonecalls!

6. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I am able to make the bars drop down on my iPhone 3G, too. Plus, I don't tend to hold my phone with any kind of metallic object, such as a penny or paperclip.

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

ok, i didnt say you didnt, i just said other phones do have that problem, just iphone has more of an apparent problem

8. futbalguy macrumors 6502

Yea, well if you have the iPhone 4 and this problem is affecting your actual usage of the device so much then you really should return it. It doesnt bother me with my case (which I think actually makes it look better) so I will keep mine. They are being upfront and telling you they will not be changing the design so you will need to return it if you dont like how if functions. The thing is, I bet most people like the iPhone 4 more than the other phones on the market so they will stick with it.

9. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

If you are so angry about the problem...why don't you just do the "fix" yourself. You said it was simple and cheap, so follow your own advice and make it happen.

11. pugnut macrumors 6502a

FYI I am not having a issue with my phone. That is not saying that I do not believe those that say they are, but if I did have trouble with the phone I would listen to the options, decide if that works for me and if needed return it. You are not entitled to anything, the information is very public and solutions provided. What exactly are you fighting for?

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You have no evidence or proof of this.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Then the antenna is blocked by a penny. :rolleyes:

Lets see your .25c fix. :rolleyes:

How's that workin for you? :rolleyes:

So are you going to act like an adult and return something you are unhappy with or are you going to act like a petulant child and throw a tantrum?

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Contrary to what Apple says, my RIM 9700 does not loose ANY bars when I hold it.:eek:

15. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68020

16. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

+100 Thank you! Now that the media hype has been dispelled perhaps we can move along.

Cheers,

17. Andy-V macrumors 6502

I would say it categorically isn't a problem if signal bars drop only when you 'engulf the phone with your hands'. That isn't a problem just like it not working underwater isn't a problem.

A problem is when just holding the phone (and not even tightly) drops the signal significantly.

18. macfan881 macrumors 68020

If you have a problem with it return it stop bitching on the forums.

19. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

The best way to hold Apple accountable is to return the IP4 and buy an Android. That'll show em.

20. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

You don't understand. Apple sees people like you as representing less than 1% of their base. They can't keep the device in stock.

Apple does not care about your complaints. They played that silly song at the very beginning. It set the tone for the entire message. Even though we will say we want all our customers to be happy, what they meant is they care about customers that will stay no matter what and those who cannot be mollified should look elsewhere.

Weakness and fear have nothing to do with this issue. For now, there is no fix beyond what's been discussed. You only have 3 choices, hold it differently, put a cover on it or buy another phone.

Even though I can recreate the antenna issue w/o cover; I generally use a cover so my iPhone 4 works perfectly.

Continuing this discussion is pointless.

Cheers,

21. err404 macrumors 68020

Actually returning a product that doesn't meet your needs, is taking a stand. I find it very childish that you are complaining this much, yet are still giving Apple your money.
    The real issue is that deep down you know the phone is meeting the needs of most users; therefore returning your one phone is an insignificant gesture.

22. bfh123 macrumors regular

+1000 THANK YOU.

It cracks me up all these folks wanna cry on a forum about their phone but wont return it. It defies logic.

23. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68020

The phone is only meeting peoples needs because they have a case or dont know about the issue, or blame dropped calls on ATT vs the phone itself.

I will be taking my phone back. Thats not the point. The point is Apple is not giving us the straight facts.

24. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Even if true, the point is moot. Apple is selling more phones than they can make. A small vocal minority complaining gives them PR issues which Apple has consistently ignored. They fact Steve had to do this press conference probably annoyed him to no end.

None of what you are trying to express matters to them so there is nothing more to do. If you're not satisfied return. It could not be more simple.

Cheers,

25. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

This, please.