Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipadfreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
I just picked up a Punk colored (AMAZING!) Otterbox defender at my local ATT store for my iP5. I love it, and it is my first Otterbox product. But I am having two problems with it:

When I use it, I can feel the phone bumping against the inside of the case. Is this normal? I know i put it on correctly because I had the person at the store put it in and did it myself again at home.

Also, the screen protector made the touch screen a lot less sensitive. Is this normal?

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted

I have no fit issues at all, very solid, and I'm on my second Defender for the iPhone 5. Why second? Because I just returned my first one because the rubber got damaged from the holster clip, causing it to fray pretty bad after 1 day of use. The AT&T guy told me to pull the tab over to the clip instead of pushing it in, but I shouldn't have to do that every time I clip and un clip the phone from the holster.

neotope

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I just picked up a Punk colored (AMAZING!) Otterbox defender at my local ATT store for my iP5. I love it, and it is my first Otterbox product. But I am having two problems with it:

When I use it, I can feel the phone bumping against the inside of the case. Is this normal? I know i put it on correctly because I had the person at the store put it in and did it myself again at home.

Also, the screen protector made the touch screen a lot less sensitive. Is this normal?

It sounds like you either don't have the case fully snapped together creating some extra space or the case is defective.

I can shake my Defender and it feels solid and I don't hear the phone move at all. Also the screen protector is much nicer than I thought it would be and I don't feel much loss. Obviously using a protector will always be a bit worse than the exposed screen.

IconicM

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
I noticed that on my defender, on initial assembly, with the iP5 only in the lower half, that the phone would slide around a bit. But once i put on the top half, and assembly complete, it is in there snug.

Just noticed that when typing in landscape mode, the ridge or sill from the case makes me miss the bottom row with the space bar some times. Plus even though the iP5 is slimmer than the iP4, with the defender case installed on both phones, they seem to be the same thickness. Maybe instead of a complete re-design, they took what they could from the old design. Even though I'm sure this is one heck of a tough case, i'm starting to wish i had gone for something with a little less protection, but much more stream lined to take advantage of the new thinness

CanadaEh

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Toronto
The only issue I've noticed is that I have to press harder on the screen to get a response. Not sure if anyone is having this issue as well?

ipadfreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
I noticed that on my defender, on initial assembly, with the iP5 only in the lower half, that the phone would slide around a bit. But once i put on the top half, and assembly complete, it is in there snug.

Just noticed that when typing in landscape mode, the ridge or sill from the case makes me miss the bottom row with the space bar some times. Plus even though the iP5 is slimmer than the iP4, with the defender case installed on both phones, they seem to be the same thickness. Maybe instead of a complete re-design, they took what they could from the old design. Even though I'm sure this is one heck of a tough case, i'm starting to wish i had gone for something with a little less protection, but much more stream lined to take advantage of the new thinness

Can you explain a little better how you fixed the phone banging around in the case?

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
Another vote here for "sliding until it's snapped in".

Once all pieces are connected, you shouldn't get any movement. If everything's snapped in and it's still moving, take it back.

soshibo

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
The only issue I've noticed is that I have to press harder on the screen to get a response. Not sure if anyone is having this issue as well?

same issue. in the past with my previous defenders for the 4 and 4S, i just removed the otterbox screen protector. but then again, i had powersupport screen protectors on. they're not out yet, so i'm keeping mine in until PS comes out w/ their iphone 5 lineup

IconicM

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
Can you explain a little better how you fixed the phone banging around in the case?

I didn't modify or fix anything. I simply noticed, and was a little concerned that when I slipped the phone into the bottom half, that it would move around a bit, maybe 1/16".

I took my case apart again to try to recreate what you are seeing and also wanted to see what makes the phone stop banging around. So if you put the phone into the bottom half of the case, it can slide either up and down or side to side. If you put it into the top half it does the same thing.

When I assemble the top and bottom, the phone doesn't move around as much. Seems like the depth dimension of the case is a lot more precisely matched to the phone than the length and width. The phone still moves around but you have to shake it pretty hard. If you pick it up and move the phone around in a normal way, it doesn't seem to move around.

If your phone bangs around in normal handling, then I think you have a defective case.

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted

CanadaEh said:

I noticed that too.

whitesand

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
There's another thread where a fellow popped out the screen protector on the defender to eliminate the touch sensitivity issue...Get the massive protection from the shell without the screen issue...

kanshu

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
On my Otterbox Defender I thought that it was only on mine that the front case has a huge chunk on the upper left hand side where the back case meets. I contacted Otterbox CS and they will send me a new one but it would probably have the same huge chunk.

http://youtu.be/I1YaYYaqO_8 at 3:09

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I bought an otterbox defender on Friday and returned it yesterday because of the difficulty typing with it. It was just too annoying.

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
I'm having this same issue - I didn't see your thread so I made my own. I sent Otterbox an email just now so I expect to hear back tomorrow.

The phone just slides back and forth a little bit in the case. I know I ahve it snapped together correctly. If the replacement that they send me is also flawed I'll probably just return it to Amazon and get something else - A commuter maybe?

IconicM

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
I bought an otterbox defender on Friday and returned it yesterday because of the difficulty typing with it. It was just too annoying.

Difficulty typing in the landscape mode? I have a problem with landscape mode, about half the time I miss the keys because the ledge of the case protrudes so much, it makes it tricky to hit the bottom keys consistently.

mistax

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
going to return it today. was shaking my phone around earlier and notice that it was making sounds and went to look at my mom phone which also has the otterbox and it was fine. @@.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
I took out the built-in screen protector and noticed that the case made four indentations on the screen, so I returned it. Luckily for me I had a screen protector on the actual screen so no damage was done outside of the $40 ghost armor protector going to waste.

clayyea

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2006
Texas
Mine fits great, no rattling around. However I have noticed that the screen protector does cause sensitivity issues. This was not an issue with my iPhone 4 in the defender. My other complaint is that this version is made in China. One of the reasons I bought the Otterbox was that it was my understanding that they were manufacturing them in the US. The rubber on the outside is a lot stiffer than the previous models.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
Is the new one better?

I didn't get another Otterbox case. I went to a Griffin case.

----------

Difficulty typing in the landscape mode? I have a problem with landscape mode, about half the time I miss the keys because the ledge of the case protrudes so much, it makes it tricky to hit the bottom keys consistently.

Difficulty typing in the corner mostly, but also poor sensitivity in general. I had to press each letter slowly and deliberately which got old fast.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I'm on my second defender the first one the rubber started fray and tear on the right corner maybe from belt clip use. On my second one I took out the screen protector and installed the glas.t and everything is perfect.

Screen sensitivity, protection, everything.

YungMoola94

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
How do you use that case? It makes the iphone look like a brick. What's the point of Apple's hard work in making the phone slimmer when you are going to just make it look big

Last edited by a moderator:

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
How do you use that case? It makes the iphone look like a brick. What's the point of Apple's hard work in making the phone slimmer when you are going to just make it look big

Because some people care more about keeping the phone in one piece and easily resellable than letting everyone know they have an iphone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.